Group And Category Relationships

I can lead 5 groups.

It also makes sense to have a 1:1 relationship between groups and categories in the event you want to pass on management of the category.

I also can see the benefit of creating a group of my caching co-workers that want to manage a few categories and maybe another group of family cachers that want to manage a few categories.

What is the prescriptive guidance? It seems 1:1 is very popular.

What is the prescriptive guidance? It seems 1:1 is very popular.

Prescriptive guidance? 1:1 very popular?.......... 1:1 is currently the only option. One group --> one category. It is not a matter of popularity, it is a matter of fact. (this may change in future but it is not high on my priority list of things for them to work on) Now there are people that are members of different groups together and manage different categories together. The several groups I am a member of have varied membership with none completely matching another.

Edited by BruceS

Okay, 1:1 seemed like a natural fit but I then thought if it is 1:1 why create a group and a category, why not just have management of a category...

That way the category coud require to have the right type of management before it went live but no reason to have the right type of group before the category is even created...

It is all the same in the end and glad I have that understanding now.

Right now an individual can only be Leader of 5 Groups maximum.

They can at their option start 5 Categories maximum by attaching 1 of their Groups to a Category.

You cannot be the Leader of more than 5 Groups (unless you acquired an orphaned Category/Group)

I agree that it would be nice if you could start another Group that was not going to be attached to a Category, like you suggested... "My Hiking Buddies" for example. I had started an "Ontario Geocaching Association" Group but had to drop my Leader position just so I could get my 5th Category started. The system would not allow me to create another Group because I was already Leader of 5 even though only 4 were assigned to Categories.

The concept of a "Buddy List" as a Group would be a good enhancement, as long as you could still create and Lead you allotment of 5 Categories.

:D The Blue Quasar