Pins

Nero

Well, it seems recently that a good number of people are also having pins made with the same design as there own coin.

I think this is pretty cool, and i decided that instead of keeping them in a bag on myshelf, when i was at Michaels today with my wife getting some frames, I picked up made my own case..

We have had topics here about how do you display/keep your coins, how about your pins?

92c95569-00dc-4dfd-b5dc-ed05df7c3766.jpg

and i put it behind my desk..

06db07aa-8f82-44e0-bcac-bcb0ed5556bd.jpg

I had mine just sitting in a ziplock bag on a shelf, decided I needed to do something with them.

bought a hinged shadowbox, had/has that white cotton type stuff inside, for putting butterfly's or whatever inside it. I took some craft foam and cut it to the inside size of the frame annd just pushed the pins through and put the backs on them in the foam. then I placed them inside on top of the white cotton stuff.

They make them really big, this one is only 8X10, so inside is a bit smaller, and i figured this one is a good starter one since I only have a dozen pins so far.

Living in SoCal as we do, we make it to Disneyland about once a year or so. Several years ago, we got caught up in Disney pin collecting, and we wound up buying an album for them, so we add our geo-pins to that. It still has lots of room, and pins need to be in something that'll keep them from chipping. I like the look of your wall-mount :) Anything that protects the pins is good!

I had mine just sitting in a ziplock bag on a shelf, decided I needed to do something with them.

bought a hinged shadowbox, had/has that white cotton type stuff inside, for putting butterfly's or whatever inside it. I took some craft foam and cut it to the inside size of the frame annd just pushed the pins through and put the backs on them in the foam. then I placed them inside on top of the white cotton stuff.

They make them really big, this one is only 8X10, so inside is a bit smaller, and i figured this one is a good starter one since I only have a dozen pins so far.

Thanks! I might just have to make a trip to our local Michael's. :)

Thanks! I might just have to make a trip to our local Michael's. :o

Me too, I added to my list of things to do this weekend, perhaps they'll have a coupon in Sunday's paper. :) I've got some plain Geocaching pins, plus some other pins that are special to me, so I think I'll put them all together. :o

What also works nice for them are along the same lines as what Nero made. It's a jewelry shadow box for rings. You just stick the pin with the backing still on in each hole and the holes are evenly spaced on the velvet holder. I have been pricing them on ebay and they range from $12.99 to $29.99 depending on size. They have a handle on them, making it easy to take them to an event for display.

I'm not sure what the cost is to make one like Nero did, but wanted to present another option.

The shadowbox i think is regularly $15. but was on sale for around $10, and the foam they sell for $1 for a big sheet, and you can get it in several colors.

I have been looking for options for a week or so now and was thinking on getting locking backs like disney pin collectors use, but decided to just use what they come with and stick them on foam.

i'm glad someone else likes it, i think it looks pretty nice.

and if you are wondering about the plaque next to it, I went to a geo event in tucson and the person who put on the event (woodcutter i think it is) had plastic bags in one of several caches around the park with team names in them, and well as the gc logo, so i put them on a piece of wood.

Nero

Several years ago, we got caught up in Disney pin collecting

Ah, yes...Disney Pin trading...another (former) addiction. I made a display box for my daughter's Tinkerbell pins. Instead of using craft foam, I used stiff, black felt. My older daughter has more pins (Stitch), some are still attached to her lanyard (hanging in her room), and some are in a pin trading album.

I used a piece of 3/8" black foamcare board (also available at Michael's! :laughing: ) cut down to fit in a plastic full sheet size insert for a 3 ring binder.

Marked off a 1"x1" grid on the back and used a straight pin to poke holes at the line junctions.

Flipped it over and placed my pins in the holes.

The pin is just a tad too long and the points were sticking out, so I cut down a 1/8" thick piece of craft foam (Michael's again :laughing: ) and placed it on the back, tacking it on the sides with double-stick tape (Yup! You guessed it... Michael's!! :lol: ) to hold it in place.

Now it fit's nicely in the back of my coin binder!! :laughing:

D-man :laughing:

PS- I think we ought to be getting some kickback from Michael's with all this advertising we're giving them!!! :P:laughing:

Here is mine. I bought a shadow box from Hobby Lobby and cut a styrofoam sheet to fit. I think it was about 3/4". I covered the styrofoam with some cross stitch material I had laying around, and was done. My collection is about to outgrow my box, so I'm waiting for another 1/2 sale. I paid $10 for this one because it was 1/2 off.

100_0867.jpg

Anybody know the name of the pin in the upper right-hand corner to the left of the Indy Diver pin? I can't make it out.

Lets see.

Row 1: Origial Stash, Moun10Bike, Marky & Joani, Marky & Joani (both sides of there coin), Indy Diver 2d, Indy Diver 3d

Row 2: Ghost, Benchmark, Not Another Micro, ParentsofSAM, Parrolet, GC Club oyster

Edited by Nero

Here is mine. I bought a shadow box from Hobby Lobby and cut a styrofoam sheet to fit. I think it was about 3/4". I covered the styrofoam with some cross stitch material I had laying around, and was done. My collection is about to outgrow my box, so I'm waiting for another 1/2 sale. I paid $10 for this one because it was 1/2 off.

100_0867.jpg

Woot! I see a geoSquid :)

I'm reviving this thread with a new pic.

pincase.jpg

OK, now you have given me an alternative idea for Pathtag displys, think I could use an upolstry brad through the holes and mount them the same way. I have been using a grapevine wreath Michaels, but it is getting way too many on it to see them all. What does anyone think? :blink:

Very nice displays. My two daughters (7 year old and 10 year old) are collecting pins (they also have a disney pin collection). They are currently keeping them in a binder with the baseball card holders and the velcro dots to keep them shut. This way they can take them out of the sleeves and put them back in as they like to play with the pins.

We have our own Anthus pins and the girls would love to trade pins. Send me an email if you are interested in trading geopins with them. I handle the email communications but I totally leave the decisions up to them.

....Anthus

That is really cool Nero. I just started to put mine on my backpack but then thought what if I loose them. This gives me something to do with them instead of my backpack. Also I might try it with a few of my Gecoins I have here. Just what ones to put into it. Hmmmm.

I did this over the weekend for my pins, also did one with geocoins. They look great thanks for the tip on this Nero.

;) Well the one I did with the Geocoins lasted not even 24 hours about 20 mins away. Was getting ready to go to bed and heard bang and smash. Went looking to see what the noise was :rolleyes: the one I did with the Geocoins fell and broke the frame and glass. Well back to the drawing board with the Geocoins but at least my pins are still holding strong for now.

I did this over the weekend for my pins, also did one with geocoins. They look great thanks for the tip on this Nero.

;) Well the one I did with the Geocoins lasted not even 24 hours about 20 mins away. Was getting ready to go to bed and heard bang and smash. Went looking to see what the noise was :rolleyes: the one I did with the Geocoins fell and broke the frame and glass. Well back to the drawing board with the Geocoins but at least my pins are still holding strong for now.

Ouch, i'm very sorry to hear about that! was it that the hooks werent strong enough to hold it or what?

Time for a new Smurfey Display GeoSmurfs! :rolleyes:

I keep mine on my little dart board. Its gettin full so I may have to use the playing side...or just find a new or bigger dartboard! As a matter of fact-When I met castleman, I told him he looked like my Dartboard!...He told me not to throw darts at him, and I didnt :D

I like the different displays- Nero's looks like it belongs in a museum ;) And Castleman has a bullet-proof vest! ;) Gbots gots some head armor too!...You should get with Castleman and swap gear for some pics in full body armor! :D:D