Trails.com

On the Cache Details page, there is a link . . .

...all nearby hiking trails from Trails.com

Does anybody have experience with this site? :)

http://www.trails.com

Whenever I search for trails around my area it always comes up with Trails.com. All the trails that they listed for my area came from the same book, so I just bought the book instead of subscribing to the service. It looks like it could be a great resource for others, however.

I subscribed for a year but only when they offered a half price deal - $50 was just a little too steep for me without being able to check it out a little first. (Yes, I know they offer a free trial period but you have to give them your credit card in order to access it and I don't like to do that.)

Anyway, I guess I would say I like it for $25 / year but not sure it's worth $50.

I'm a full-time, movin' on down the road, kind of Rv'er. I'm not situated in any one locale. I like to hike and not wimpy hikes either. (Knowing that "wimpy" is relative I will qualify wimpy as less than four miles. :) )

Knowing that, do you think Trails.com sounds like a good investment for me as I travel about? What's your opinion?

I looked on the site and it says it has a 14 day trial. Why not check it out for some areas you've been in to see how well it is documented?

I did not register for a trial, but drilled down to a local State Park -- Raccoon State Creek Park close to Pittsburgh. I couldn't actually see the trails because I didn't register, but this isn't the most popular park in this area. So, the fact that it had some details on the acreage and offered to show trails if I registered seemed pretty encouraging.

On the other hand, I didn't have to register because trail maps for this park are readily available on the park's website. They don't have GPS coordinates or trails that could be loaded to the GPS, but it isn't too hard to figure out using the topography.

Magellan's 3d Topo software also says something about being integrated with trails.com. Seemed rather interesting at the time, but I don't know anything else about it and chose to buy a Lowrance instead.

Maybe it would help if I told you how I use it. I use detailed trail guides that I bought for the main trails in the area (Bartram Trail, Benton MacKaye Trail, etc). Trails.com, however, gives me good supplemental information for other trails in the area, since I don't really want to buy every hiking book out there :).

I know I said I don't like to try free trial periods if I have to use a credit card, but you might want to try that to see if it give the sort of detail you're looking for. If you travel around a lot, it very well might be worth the $50/year.

Edited by mertat