What's With Letterbox Caches?

While we're on this issue, are there rules about caches that are listed on one site, not being able to be listed on another? I'm starting to understand there are other sites (i.e. terracaching) but I am not sure if you post a cache on one site, whether you are not allowed to list the cache on a different site?

How many different caching sites are there? I assume geocaching/Groundspeak is the grand-daddy of them all, but how big are any of the others? Hopefully this isn't inappropriate to bring up here. I'm curious.

While we're on this issue, are there rules about caches that are listed on one site, not being able to be listed on another? I'm starting to understand there are other sites (i.e. terracaching) but I am not sure if you post a cache on one site, whether you are not allowed to list the cache on a different site?

How many different caching sites are there? I assume geocaching/Groundspeak is the grand-daddy of them all, but how big are any of the others? Hopefully this isn't inappropriate to bring up here. I'm curious.

Typicially such rules are imposed by the listing site itself. Terracaching.com does not want caches listed there, to be listed other places. I don't know of such rules on any of the other sites, but they may have such things.

There are at least four, a google search should find them. Geocaching.com is the longest running, and the one with the most cache listings BY FAR.

In the last 2 days in Florida, I have stumbled upon 2 different letterbox caches while looking for regular caches in the same general area. In both cases, they are not listed on Geocaching.com. Are these being listed somewhere else?

Russ....Team Bucky & McGee

Letterboxing goes back to the mid 19th century and existed well before the Internet, so letterboxes are not necessarly listed on any website. I would venture to say though that most letterboxes in the US are listed on one of two sites. They are LBNA and Atlasquest.

Geocaching.com has no rules prohibiting the listing of caches on other sites. Letterbox hybrids are in fact likely to also be listed on one of the letterboxing sites. As you assumed, Geocaching.com is the "grand-daddy" of them all. There have been a number of others, some defunct and some still active.

In the US there are two others that I can think of at the moment that have any sort of following. Neither however has close to the number of listings as GC.COM. Its like comparing Walmart with Bill's 5 & Dime.

Some other countries also have their own geocaching sites.

yup, I have a letterbox hybrid and it is listed both on gc.com and letterboxing.org I put a link on the cache page to the letterboxing.org listing.

This cache looks like it'll get more traffic as a result of being a hybrid. I visited it today and at least 2 "pure" letterboxers have visited it already in addition with some of the locals.

I've found four or five letterboxes. Obviously, they're not as well hidden. :D

I find them to be a bit irritating. :D It was 96º out. with high humidity, and we were a fair ways in along the trails along the Cathance River. The GPS was bouncing, we were dehydrating, but still searching. It was a tough search. "I found it!!" Drat, it's a letter box. Continue the search. Twenty minutes later, we found the cache.

Of course, I'm sure that the letterboxers feel the same about us. :D

Thanks everyone for all of the good answers. I use the plural, since I now see that there is a myriad of these things around. With your help I have found "Light as a Feather" on letterboxing.org. The other mystery cache is "Preston's Black Island" letterbox cache on Lovers Key near Ft. Myers, FL. I haven't found that one yet. Now that I understand what's happening, I guess I don't really care. I just thought I was losing my mind. Thanks!