Palm M500 Using It.

Warbones

I just got this off of ebay. Did not come with a manual or any software. I'm trying to find out exactly what I need for paperless caching. I have the Palm, portable keyboard, cradle and charger. Is this compatible with Windows xp? How do I get started?

Thanks to anyone with helpful replies.

David ( warbones )

If you didn't receive any software you can go to the Palm M500 Support Page and download the Palm Desktop for free. Load that on your PC. This software is needed to HotSync the PDA to your PC.

For paperless caching, check of Cachemate. Cachemate is a Geocaching application that runs on your Palm PDA. It cost $8.00 to register, well worth it...

Also check out GSAK. GSAK is a Geocaching application / database that runs on your PC. It is a very powerful tool for filtering, exporting cache information to your Palm and GPS. GSAK cost $20.00 to register, also well worth it.

And lastly, if your not already a Geocaching.com premium member, consider becoming one. It cost $30.00 a year, but it gives you the ability to create Pocket Queries which contain detailed cache information.

Enjoy!

I already had one of those when I started caching and it was underused until I bought Cachemate and installed it on the Palm. I also use GSAK to filter the caches and Export them in the correct format for the Palm.

If you didn't get a hard case for your Palm M500, you might want to invest in one of those. I have dropped my Palm a few times while juggling it and my walking stick and the GPSr, but the case kept it from damage.

Welcome to paperless caching!

:) All of the already posted suggestions, Plus there is a lot of freeware out there that works also.....Spinner, Plucker, Cache-Log.......The m500 is sort of self explanatory (easy) once U get the software loaded on your desktop..............also there are several pages about using PQ's http://www.geocacher-u.com/resources/paperless.html ..................... :o One More... http://www.nmg-geocaching.org/files/cachelogbook.zip Edited by GIDEON-X

The m500 and m515 are both compatible with XP. I started with the m500 and just got an m515 when the one of the m500's developed mad digitizer sydrome. I like the color screen as it is easier to read. Either pda was found for $30-35 and another couple of dollars for the SD card. I also suggest a metal case, the aluminum ones are great for the accidental bounce. Get some spare stylus, they are a real needle in a haystack when one falls into the rocks or a stream....that's where I lost my first one.

I use them with a premium membership at gc.com for the gpx downloads, gsak for preparing downloads to the pda and gpsr, and the palmOne synchronizing software for the hotsync. Cache mate, Cache Nav for use on the pda but make sure to download Math lib as well as this is what allows the nearest search feature option to work on the pda's.

They are not the fastest devices when compared to the newer pdas but work just fine compared to a stack of papers. You can carry thousands of caches on the pda. It takes just a little bit to master the learning curve, no different than getting the hang of the website or gpsr options.

Thanks a bunch to everyone who replied. You helped me out a bunch! I am now a premium member, have cachemate ( the registered version ) and actually have some Caches on my palm. What do I need to do differently to get the description details and Difficulty rating?

Again, thanks so much!!!

David ( Warbones )

Edited by Warbones

Have you created Pocket Queries and received the data in your email InBox?

Check out this rudimentary GSAK tutorial to see if it will help you.

To recap, you need a premium membership to allow pocket queries (up to 500 caches each), GSAK to manage multiple pocket queries in a single data base & allow custom generation of pda data files & download directly to your GPSr, and cachemate to view the information on your M500.

I've got an M515 with a 128 mb SD card that allows me to carry a variety of different data bases depending on the area I'm caching. I like to keep each pda data base file under 1,000 caches to keep the program from slowing down - and to match the capacity of my GPSr. I download directly from a GSAK filter into my GPSr and create a file to download to my pda at the same time. I'l typically receive about 20 pocket queries per week of discrete cache information, more if I'm off to an event out of my usual range.

Of course, the next step is a laptop for onboard navigation and reloading the gpsr on the fly during road trips! But thats a whole other discussion! :)

GSAK with Cachemate gave me trouble. All caches were there including the ones I had tried to screen out, and they all went into the PDA as 1/1 difficulty. I finally abandoned that method, installed the free Mobipocket reader, and began getting the pocket queries in ebook form. I've never had a problem since then. It's fewer steps to downlaod the PQ, I get to see all the found logs, and I don't have to see the hint unless I want to.

I just got this off of ebay. Did not come with a manual or any software. I'm trying to find out exactly what I need for paperless caching. I have the Palm, portable keyboard, cradle and charger. Is this compatible with Windows xp? How do I get started?

All Palms connect to Windows based PC's.

If you want a deluxe paperless caching experience, connect your GPS reciever to your Palm (or better yet, get a GPS reciver that snaps on to your Palm) and use my program GeoNiche.

((RayDar))

Just an update. I am now using my Palm for caching help :) Thanks to everyone for their help.

I too have been able to perform paperless caching. I haven't figured out GSAK features, but I am able to DL the pocket queries to my GPS and the .gpx files on the palm.

Surely there are some great things I can do with macros and other features, but that will come with time.

Thank you all for your suggestions and patience.

UncleCharlieYacker