Is The Nuvi Viable For Geocaching

I'd really like the perfect GPS for auto and Geocaching and the Nuvi seems to come the closest with the least amount of compromises. (The one feature thats narrowing my choices is that id really like the new sirf chip in the Garmin models.)

That said, is the Nuvi good for geocaching? The one thing thats worrying me is the antenna on the nuvi. Is it as good as the 60csx? Will it stand up to tree cover when caching the way the 60csx does? The other concern i have is the battery life but i'll just have to weigh that out.

Thanks for any insights here!

Before taking the plunge and buying a 60csx I used mu Nuvi for geocaching. I have topo maps which give more details but even without you can use it. It picks up well under cover also.

It doesn't have a bearing and compass so you have to use the map to locate the cache. Just put the coords in as a favourite and follow the icon on the map/screen to the right location.

I decided later that I was hooked on geocaching and wanted some of the extra (but not essential) features of the 60csx but the Nuvi worked pretty good for me.

I don't know anything about the prices in the US. But in Sweden I just bought an eXplorist 100 and a Navman 530. These two together costs less than a 60csx and that it not counting the cost of the maps. My Navman 530 is great on the roads, but not as good in the woods. The car/marker doesn't move from the road until I move at least 30 meter into the wood.

I believe that a navigator for the car is better in the car than a GPSr with navigational skills and maps. A handheld GPSr is better for geocaching than the car navigator.

...I have topo maps which give more details but even without you can use it. It picks up well under cover also.

It doesn't have a bearing and compass so you have to use the map to locate the cache. Just put the coords in as a favourite and follow the icon on the map/screen to the right location.

The Nuvi 360 (and presumably the 350) does have a compass and displays bearing using a little red dot moving around in a circle. To invoke the compass mode, click on the Menu button and when you see the signal strength bars in the top left corner, touch it and you'll be presented with the current satellite map, individual signal strength for each satellite, your altitude, speed and your bearing. The compass always shows N on the side of the antenna, so that the red dot tells you the bearing.

I have done 20 geocaches so far - all with the Nuvi. TheRoundings - can you point me to how you load topo maps? For some reason it was not obvious. Also, does the 60CSx come pre-loaded with topo maps?

Hope this helps,

\eYeks

eYeks,

I recently purchased the Nuvi 350 and also recently started geocaching.... I noticed your question regarding the tpo maps and was wondering if you got an answer. Also, do you know how to enter waypoints into the Nuvi? It's getting tedious entering the coordinates everytime... maybe I'm making it harder than it really is -or maybe I'm just being lazy :anitongue:

Thanks for any help you can offer!!

I too have been tempted to try the Nuvi for GC. It worked fine and especially with the newest firmware update, which allows manual coord entry. But it is not all that durable and the GC options are rather limited. I keep my Nuvi in the truck and use my 60csx for the caches.

And to answer the question about entering waypoints into the Nuvi. Just use the custom POI loader supplied from Garmin. Works great.

Edited by Fhantazm

eYeks,

I recently purchased the Nuvi 350 and also recently started geocaching.... I noticed your question regarding the tpo maps and was wondering if you got an answer. Also, do you know how to enter waypoints into the Nuvi? It's getting tedious entering the coordinates everytime... maybe I'm making it harder than it really is -or maybe I'm just being lazy :ph34r:

Thanks for any help you can offer!!

To put waypoints into a Nuvi:

Connect USB cable to a computer. This exposes the device as a hard drive.

Browse to the Garmin\Waypoints folder where you will see a gpx file (Waypoints.gpx as I recall)

Drop another gpx file with a different name into the same folder.

Disconnect the USB cable.

All the waypoints in the gpx file will now be in the Nuvi.