What's With The Traffic?

Jeremy

Anyone know why there would be so many guests online right now?

I believe they are Googlebots. Googlebots "index" webpages for google.

They're not visiting as individual guests. Googlebots are smarter than that.

Edited by Jeremy

Could be a denial of service attack. There has been some angst lately. We had one here about a year ago that took the T1 to it's proverbial knees. The attacker could have "zombie" PC's logging in and attempting to bottleneck services.

A quick analysis of the logs should show what the guests are doing and a simple rule in the firewall should block them if it is determined to be bad traffic.

Edit to Add: Or it could be that everybody has been possessed by Gozar(sp?) to be the keymaster and are flocking to the forums to find the gatekeeper.

2nd edit - can't spell.

Edited by martinell

About that time I somehow had 3 window open to the forums.....but I was logged in. I have no idea how that many got opened.....

Why would there be a forum attack??

EDIT to say: Nevermind I had windows open at 11a MY time which was like 8a your time......nevermind

Edited by ParentsofSAM

Anyone know why there would be so many guests online right now?

I believe they are Googlebots. Googlebots "index" webpages for google.

They're not visiting as individual guests. Googlebots are smarter than that.

They showed up as guests on the MOGEO forums.

Suddenly the MOGEO forums are flooded with guests that are trying to figure out why their website has so many guests. (wow this can get confusing)

I dont know why all the guest but things have been strage in the forums today; my sig is all messed up, I made a post in the gc.com section and when I look under that section I cant find it but if I click on the new posts its there, yesterday somone made a new thread and there title went through but not there post, and on my profile my statcounter is somehow gone?

I just took a peek now, and the stats are very weird; they read:

"1614 guests, 108 members 7 anonymous members"

That is a LOT of guests! And gee, I wonder.... are these guests robots or spiders, or are they a bunch of very bored people sitting on folding chairs at a hacker's convention in a seedy overheated convention center in some anonymous and drab Midwestern city, exploring the geocaching.com site because they cannot think of anything better to do with their time?

Oh, and who is this "Torry" guy whose posts I am starting to see more and more here in the non-OT forums? Huh? And why won't anyone tell me who the pig is, and why we should not accept food from the pig?

They are staying really up late,

1239 guests, 55 members 3 anonymous members

It seems to be a constant presence. I checked the alexa(?) site that shows the traffic here, and it shows the forums as having a decreased level of activity. Go figure?

Edited by Airmapper