Spelling Checker

oldbadger

I know its not a web site fix, but I've been using the Google IE toolbar which has a spelcheker <_< that works in any web form including the log page and usually it's more of a help than a hindrance.

The Google Toolbar with spell checking in 11 different languages also works for Firefox now.

ProsperoDK/René

Several people have indicated that it would be desirable to have a spelling checker incorporated into either the GC.com site or the forums, or both. You MUST bear in mind, however, that spelling checkers do just that, i.e. find incorrect spelling. They will NOT find words that are spelled correctly, but used incorrectly. A couple of examples are 'there' instead of 'their', and 'your' instead or 'you're'. In these instances, it's like using a magnetic compass to find a cache--it will always show you a direction, it's just not always the right direction.

Spell Chequer

I have a spelling chequer

It came with my pea see

It plainly marks four my revue

Miss steaks eye cannot see.

Each thyme when eye have struck the quays

I weight for it to say

If watt I rote is wrong or rite

It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid

It nose bee fore two late

And eye can put the error write

Yes, I shall find it grate.

I've run this poem threw it

I'm sure yore pleased to no

Its letter perfect in its weigh

My chequer tolled me sew.

(Sauce unknown) <_<

Edited by ve1bvd

A spell checker built into the forums would be a huge asset. Sometimes they can be quite painful to read.

It's just not practical on the server side, and would need to be implemented by Invision Power Boards (makers of the forum software), not Groundspeak.

Using Firefox 2.0 or 1.5 with Spellbound will do it, though.

A spell checker built into the forums would be a huge asset. Sometimes they can be quite painful to read.

It's just not practical on the server side, and would need to be implemented by Invision Power Boards (makers of the forum software), not Groundspeak.

So Firefox will correct spelling when it displays the page? Or is it only beneficial to the person typing the post?

So Firefox will correct spelling when it displays the page? Or is it only beneficial to the person typing the post?

It's only in text boxes. It works like most as-you-type checkers. The errors are underlined. You right-click on an error to see a selection of possible corrections. You can add words to your personal dictionary.

If you want to spell/grammar check your log entries, try writing them in a word processor and then copy and paste the text.

Thats what I do but it still would be a nice feature, in would be super great in the forums as well.

While i do have a spell checker on my browser, this is also a nice feature that i would like to see added. And i do not think it is too much to ask. I have been a member of other forums where this feature is available and it worked nicely.

Some people just aren't as computer savvy and are not willing or know how to add these extra features to their browser.

Many times people come here and mention something that would be helpful. Its nice people mention work arounds, but i hate that work arounds need to be the solution for issues that could be corrected in other ways.