Submerged Cache

archerobx

Most of the submerged geocaches I have seen were not negatively buoyant, they were anchored with a weight and floated on a line a few feet under the surface. To retrieve the cache you pulled the cache and weight up to the surface. I have seen one where the inside of the container (a sealed jar) contained enough weight to make it sink.

My cousin found a submerged cache recently. The owner used an ammo box and put play sand in it until it was heavy enough to sink. Fortunately he also left plent of extra ziplocs to protect items going into the cache. The logs indicated he originally used stones but people kept taking the stones as trade items ?!?!? go figure. :laughing:

the easiest way to do a submerged cache is NOT to worry about keeping things dry. Use a diver's slate for your log and place plastic items as trade goods.

I've used a diver's battery canister for a wet cache. This is a fairly expensive item, but works well, as long as people understand (TELL THEM) that the seals need to be ****clean****. No sand or organic debris left on the gasket. That's actually pretty tough to accomplish, if they're pulling the cache in from shore, everything gets mucky.

Are you allowed to have a cache under water? Was thinking it would be neat to have a cache on scuba or free divers can get to. I do not know if they already exist and have not figured out the details yet. Figured I would ask if it is in the rules first.

Thankyou

haven't gone looking for it yet... but there is a cache being shown in the middle of a large lake here in georgia... do not believe there are any islands in this lake... will let you know if it is a scuba required or there is a line attatched to it....

There is a cute one in Maryland -- won't give it away, but the container is a waterproof box in what looked like a crab trap. The water wasn't very deep, so this was enough to keep it under. Everyone enjoys this one -- it isn't really hard to get, and the means are provided.

Here is one up North near Yuba City, but I see that wont help you since you are in So. Cal. GCJPF5 Waterfall Jump(2006 is a go!) If you are near Long Beach, I think there is one in Alamitos Bay, possibly near mother's beach.

Long Beach - The Swimmer's Cache by Kevin & Susan (GC71D8)

Are you allowed to have a cache under water? Was thinking it would be neat to have a cache on scuba or free divers can get to. I do not know if they already exist and have not figured out the details yet. Figured I would ask if it is in the rules first.

Thankyou

As previously mentioned, there are a number of scuba caches out there. In fact, my dive buddy and I just placed one on the weekend. We used a 4" diameter pvc pipe with 1/4" holes in it, cemented and end cap on one end, a cleanout drain plug on the other and secured it to a wreck in Lake Erie on the weekend. Approval is pending.

Also, on yahoo groups, check out ScubaCachers - a discussion group devoted to searching for underwater caches. There is a list with links to a number of underwater caches. It's a members only discussion group to keep out the flooders, but permission to join is pretty much automatic for bona fide cachers. Go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/scubacachers/

Happy caching and diving! :)

Edited by dr.clean

Here is one for you in Albuquerque, NM. I came up with the idea because I thought it would be neat and hadn't seen anything quite like it. Turns out it is quite complicated to keep it dry. The threading on the PVC tends to get dirty and allows some water to leak in. The solution we found was to keep a small watertight container inside with a log book. That way, the log will at least stay dry. (I hope.) The trade items will have to be somewhat water-resistant themselves until I can find a dryer solution. The design is a PVC with a portion filled with cement. The opening has a screw cap with another cap that fits over top. The idea was to create a water-seal by trapping in air in the top when both the screw cap and the external cap are applied. Actually quite a design, unfortunately, the concept doesn't react well to dirt. Oh well. Back to the KISS pricipal... I'm always open to new ideas though!

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...a7-59c639499eba

Here's a thought!! (Hope I didn't hurt myself)

Use a perforated pvc pipe, weight in sealed end, and place logbook and /or trade goods in a tightly sealed jar. The pipe can then be closed with a screw in plug. The air in the jar would keep that end raised slightly off the bottom. You would have to experiment to see how much weight for a particular jar's bouyancy. This would protect the logbook even if recovery on a line means dragging the cache over rocks or branches, and a line could be passed through the holes without compromising the water protection.