What Would You Consider To Be An Error On A Coin.

UOTrackers

If you have had your own coins minted, did you inspect each and every one when they arrived?

Is smudged or out of place paint an issue for you? Would a slightly bent corner be a problem? A couple examples are linked below.

Smudged Paint

Chipped Corner

Bent Tip

I am asking these question to help me decide what to do with the 53 flawed coins I now have. Some of them will be made into travelers. Others will be used at events or given to someone new to geocaching, at least these are my thoughts. I want to be sure that even though they are flawed to me someone would still like them. I was thinking about putting a couple sets of the flawed & the corrected coin on auction for charity? Just looking for ideas and wanting to be sure these coins wouldn't make the potential new "owner" upset with flaws like these.

Thanks for any suggestions!

The error pictures that you show would not lessen the value of the coin to me as a collector.

If the coin is released into the wild, it will likely pick up some nicks and dings there as well -- so I wouldn't be too concerned.

If you are willing to sell one of the "error" coins, I'd be happy to purchase it -- it is a great looking coin!

I'm a bit more anal than others. When you pay for a coin that coin should be delivered as ordered within the limitations of the mint.

What that means is that the paint may be a bit sloppy. The mint probably can't process coins perfectly at the price you paid.

They can however not bash and bang the coins and bend your corners. That's for you to do when you leave it in the cache.

So my vote is sloppy paint, par for the course, use a better mint next time. Bent up and dented coins, sorry but there has to be some level of quality. They should know how to treat coins.

It's obvious that someone at the minter was using this one as a ninja star. They should give you a free replacement. :laughing:

Seriously though, if you are unsatisfied with any, have the minter remint those that have issues. A good minter will do this for free. They want you to be happy with your coins. They would just remint the same tracking numbers, so the error coins would become duplicates.

--Marky

If you have had your own coins minted, did you inspect each and every one when they arrived?

Is smudged or out of place paint an issue for you? Would a slightly bent corner be a problem? A couple examples are linked below.

Smudged Paint

Chipped Corner

Bent Tip

I am asking these question to help me decide what to do with the 53 flawed coins I now have. Some of them will be made into travelers. Others will be used at events or given to someone new to geocaching, at least these are my thoughts. I want to be sure that even though they are flawed to me someone would still like them. I was thinking about putting a couple sets of the flawed & the corrected coin on auction for charity? Just looking for ideas and wanting to be sure these coins wouldn't make the potential new "owner" upset with flaws like these.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Wow, I think you have had nothing but trouble since the beginning with your coins. I hope that the person you ordered your coins from replaced the flawed ones. Personally, those coins would hold no value for me. The flaws take away from the look of the coin. If you look at the edging on one of the coins the metal is scraped and marked, very poor workmanship.

I am editing my post to say that after I looked at the pictures, I think there are more problems than just what you commented on. I would not like to win an auction and find out I won a flawed coin nor would I be happy if I were a new cacher and received a flawed coin. Personally, I would set them free into the wild as long as you have replacements.

Edited by LadeBear68

The chipped corner and bent tip are probably packing/shipping problems, but the minter should still remint these for you. Have you contacted them with your concerns? The minters we have worked with have always been happy to replace coins with errors on them. (Of course, it does take a few weeks to get them, but that's to be expected.)

Kind regards,

Marky

The paint job that you show has at least 4 areas of sloppy hand painting.

As far as my coins, I check each as I put it into a mailer. I have only had 2 error coins so far in the 300 that I have shipped!

(One is in my wallet for others to see & log)

The chipped corner and bent tip are probably packing/shipping problems, but the minter should still remint these for you. Have you contacted them with your concerns? The minters we have worked with have always been happy to replace coins with errors on them. (Of course, it does take a few weeks to get them, but that's to be expected.)

Kind regards,

Marky

Oh yes they are being replaced. I'm trying to figure out what to do with the flawed ones. The replacements will continue to be trades and caches. It's these other ones I want to do something with just not sure what. I tried talking my husband into 50 travelers, lol, he said nope. Some will become travelers (most likely the bent corner ones sicne they are already bent), and others with very lite flaws will be prizes (need to copme up with a contest!). I was just trying to come up with other creative ideas. I suppose I could drill a hole in one for my own personal keychain...might be too big for a necklace...

the way I feel about "error" coins is if they are sold for commerical profit then they should be returned to the seller, if they are a personal coin that is sold its just a chance the buyer has to take, those small errors dont seem to be bad, for travelers but for a collector I would not want one like pictured.

Kind regards,

Marky

Oh yes they are being replaced. I'm trying to figure out what to do with the flawed ones. The replacements will continue to be trades and caches. It's these other ones I want to do something with just not sure what. I tried talking my husband into 50 travelers, lol, he said nope. Some will become travelers (most likely the bent corner ones sicne they are already bent), and others with very lite flaws will be prizes (need to copme up with a contest!). I was just trying to come up with other creative ideas. I suppose I could drill a hole in one for my own personal keychain...might be too big for a necklace...

If you promissed a specific quantity to those who bought your coins you should destroy them. If you made no such statement then grind off the tracking numbers and do as you will. The coin makers policy will determin what you are allowed to do with them. Usually you can keep them.

Edited by Renegade Knight

I would be surprised if they didn't re-use the tracking numbers of the coins in error, since that is an unnecessary cost to them, and if they do re-use the numbers, the only thing you can do with the coins is to give them to the people who are receiving the fixed coins. They are useless otherwise. (Well, unless you grind off the tracking numbers like RK suggested.)

--Marky

if i bought one of those for my collection i wouldn't be very happy.

But its a good point that if you put them out they would have just got like that anyways, so I guess it depends what you want the coin for.

I personally hate those paint splotches / smears

If you promissed a specific quantity to those who bought your coins you should destroy them.

I'm not exacly sure what you mean. I did tell people how many total were bing minted for trade, which was 180, they are numbered for that. The remaining coins had other purposes, and were marked accordingly also.

I think it would be a shame to destroy the coins. Had I found a coin in a cache, even a flawed one when I just began I'd be pretty happy with it. They will still make good travelers, and key chains. I wonder if anyone I traded with feels this way too? If so I'd hope they'd let me know. I've been quite upfront with them all keeping them notified of any and all issues with our coins.

I would be surprised if they didn't re-use the tracking numbers of the coins in error

They are only numbered, not trackable on geocaching.com. They are beign set up on geocoin.net however these flawed coins will have their numbers removed, regardless of the way they end up being used.

I wouldn't be happy with any of those if I bought them, and they showed up that way. If we met somewhere, and you gave me one of those flawed coins, I would very happy. If you were going to sell them on eBay (or anywhere else), you should specifically point out the "errors" (NOT flaws) in the description. Some people actually do get quite excited about "error" coins.

I've had many flaws - including a heartbreaking ordeal with over 130 hard enamel flaws on Rhode Island coins (and I released 130 into the wild *wink*wink*). I've learned that getting hard enamel perfect is hard and so I don't use that enamel much anymore.

I've also had chipped edges, sloppy antiquing, etc. But its hard to inspect every coin as it goes out, so I have a 100% satisfaction policy. When the occasional flaw makes it out I don't hesitate to send a replacement.

I also make sure the mint knows of the flaws. In every case they are willing to remake bad coins.