What Do You Wish For In 'the Future Of Geocaching' ?

I had posted this Topic in the YCGS Geocaching Forum with not much of an audience so i thought of beaming it up to the MotherShip of all Geocaching Forums.. Please feel free to share, correct and/or criticize this post.. Its all in the name of a greater cause, OUR HOBBY.

PASTED FROM THE YGCS FORUM:

1. This might sound really dumb but for cachers like us (Ebony & Ivory) who take a dog/s on our cache hunts, we wish caches had a smell to them, like the 35mm's or ammo-cans would come ready made with implanted odours that would involve our pets in the hunts, making them Love the sport like we do. I mean, they enjoy the outdoors as it is but think of the possibility in that.. :ph34r:

2. I am planing to make the first 'FlashCache' Travel Bug, a jumpdrive/flashdisk that would wander the world and collect pictures, music or whatever data the finder would save to the disk that the next finder would actually experience on the next find. Im still trying to make the calculations right to determine the size and rules of the TB so it might be a while before I implement.

I have ideas like the Seagate Pocket Hard Drive that is 6GB and that would be a substantial amount of pictures but PLEASE feel free to share your wild ideas with me on this post.

PS: I grant permission to whoever wants to make a FlashCache before I do, BUT i ask to be allowed the honour of naming mine FlashCache #1 (pronounced Numero Uno)

Send in more Wild Ideas to make our Hobby that we adore more interesting. Till the next bulb lights up on my head :P .. ~Ebony~.

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens".

~ Jimi Hendrix (1942-1970)

2. I am planing to make the first 'FlashCache' Travel Bug, a jumpdrive/flashdisk that would wander the world and collect pictures, music or whatever data the finder would save to the disk that the next finder would actually experience on the next find. Im still trying to make the calculations right to determine the size and rules of the TB so it might be a while before I implement.

I have ideas like the Seagate Pocket Hard Drive that is 6GB and that would be a substantial amount of pictures but PLEASE feel free to share your wild ideas with me on this post.

I think this is a great idea. Would certainly appeal to me. The only problem I could see would be someone malicously adding a virus to the drive, but I think most people have anti-virus software and could easily scan the drive first.

1. ...we wish caches had a smell to them, like the 35mm's or ammo-cans would come ready made with implanted odours that would involve our pets in the hunts, making them Love the sport like we do. I mean, they enjoy the outdoors as it is but think of the possibility in that.. :P

I love this idea. Too bad my wife doesn't let me take Darby the Wonder Pup caching anymore.

2. I am planing to make the first 'FlashCache' Travel Bug, a jumpdrive/flashdisk that would wander the world and collect pictures, music or whatever data the finder would save to the disk that the next finder would actually experience on the next find.

This idea has been floated around a bit and I think actually implemented. However, it is fairly likely to get stolen and many people would not participate out of fear of viruses.

I think this is a great idea. Would certainly appeal to me. The only problem I could see would be someone malicously adding a virus to the drive, but I think most people have anti-virus software and could easily scan the drive first.

I've seen this done with a R/W CDs and a floppy disks attached to TBs .

The chief problem I see is a $100 or $150 jumpdrive "disappearing". Its hard enough keeping geocoins in circulation because of their perceived value and dishonest geocachers. I don't see a jumpdrive lasting very long before it goes missing.

Edited by briansnat

2. I am planing to make the first 'FlashCache' Travel Bug, a jumpdrive/flashdisk that would wander the world and collect pictures, music or whatever data the finder would save to the disk that the next finder would actually experience on the next find.

This idea has been floated around a bit and I think actually implemented. However, it is fairly likely to get stolen and many people would not participate out of fear of viruses.

Yep, there are some out there. Here is one of a few that I have seen: Flash Cache Travel Bug Purple Fuzz Ball.

Take the JumpDrive to the next level...no more logbooks:

In the future, when you find a cache, you simply plug your Official Geocaching.com Keyring JumpDrive into the port on the Official Geocaching.com Electronic Cache...your caching name info is transferred onto the cache memory, as proof you were actually there, and the cache information is tranferred onto your JumpDrive in an instant...

When you get home, you simply plug your JumpDrive into your computer, and a textbox opens up for each cache you found, allowing you to start typing your 'found it' log right away...or, you can simply have a pre-typed generic 'found it' message automatically downloaded onto each cache page, and all your finds are logged in nanoseconds... :P

Edited by TEAM 360

I can't seem to find it, but there was a post not too long ago about a guy who trained his dog to sniff out caches. He started off by training the dog with small caches that had food items in them. After about six months the dog was able to find any type of cache without a food smell. (he'd then get treats from his owner). The obvious problem with a cache that attracts dogs with a smell is that it will also attract other critters.

If I find the post, I'll link it here.

The chief problem I see is a $100 or $150 jumpdrive "disappearing". Its hard enough keeping geocoins in circulation because of their perceived value and dishonest geocachers. I don't see a jumpdrive lasting very long before it goes missing.

They are really coming down in price. There are some running in the $10-$20 range these days.

Yep, there are some out there. Here is one of a few that I have seen: Flash Cache Travel Bug Purple Fuzz Ball.

Well this assures me that the Flashcache Idea might actually work BUT the theft issue is really a pinch, I never knew that there were dishonest cachers.. What world im I living in ?? :ph34r:

In the future, when you find a cache, you simply plug your Official Geocaching.com Keyring JumpDrive into the port on the Official Geocaching.com Electronic Cache...your caching name info is transferred onto the cache memory, as proof you were actually there, and the cache information is tranferred onto your JumpDrive in an instant...

When you get home, you simply plug your JumpDrive into your computer, and a textbox opens up for each cache you found, allowing you to start typing your 'found it' log right away...or, you can simply have a pre-typed generic 'found it' message automatically downloaded onto each cache page, and all your finds are logged in nanoseconds... :P

I thought i was crazy, or what my Girlfriend calls "BroadSighted", but you guys are off the chain.. I gotta get to work and cook up something crazier than Team 360's post...

You asked for a ShowDown.. Well, IT'S ON NOW :P ..

They are really coming down in price. There are some running in the $10-$20 range these days.

Not a 6 gig one like the OP proposes. If so, point me there!

In the future I expect that accuracy will get to within a foot, with different sattelites and more advanced GPSr units. So we'll begin to see better hides to make it more of a challenge.

We'll also have a few more cache types as the creative minds keep working and people try to come up with new and exciting tangents.

In the future I expect that accuracy will get to within a foot, with different sattelites and more advanced GPSr units.

Accuracy of a Foot ?! Talk of aiming LOW.. Take a look at this .. Now I know what I want for Xmas :laughing: ..

Posted from the YCGS FORUM : User - PUP.

I am a surveyor and work in MD. Benchmark hunting is an everyday thing for me because I do alot of the GPS aspect of the "new and improved" surveying world. The GPS units we use are not like the handhelds we use for geocaching, but about $23k each, with the accuracy to get within about 1/8 of an inch with no obstructions.

In the future I expect that accuracy will get to within a foot, with different sattelites and more advanced GPSr units.

Accuracy of a Foot ?! Talk of aiming LOW.. Take a look at this .. Now I know what I want for Xmas :laughing: ..

Posted from the YCGS FORUM : User - PUP.

I am a surveyor and work in MD. Benchmark hunting is an everyday thing for me because I do alot of the GPS aspect of the "new and improved" surveying world. The GPS units we use are not like the handhelds we use for geocaching, but about $23k each, with the accuracy to get within about 1/8 of an inch with no obstructions.

You're right. I most definitely was aiming low. Someday we'll get even higher accuracy - even indoors! I'm sure building tools with UltraGPS capabilities will make it a lot easier to measure where you should cut, put in a screw to hang something, etc.

I am looking forward to becoming a professional geocacher. If bass fishing can be made into a big money competitive "sport" ... why not geocaching? We will wear colorful shirts and hats covered with patches from endorsements, like Garmin, Magellan, Jeep, REI, and Dollar General. Competing geocachers will drive high-powered off-road vehicles which go 100+ mph on unimproved roads. Besides big money winner's purses, there will be the endorsements, TV commercials, and groupies! And contests will be sanctioned by NAGCAC, National Association of GeoCAching Competitors. I can't wait.

I am looking forward to becoming a professional geocacher. If bass fishing can be made into a big money competitive "sport" ... why not geocaching? We will wear colorful shirts and hats covered with patches from endorsements, like Garmin, Magellan, Jeep, REI, and Dollar General. Competing geocachers will drive high-powered off-road vehicles which go 100+ mph on unimproved roads. Besides big money winner's purses, there will be the endorsements, TV commercials, and groupies! And contests will be sanctioned by NAGCAC, National Association of GeoCAching Competitors. I can't wait.

This I like.. I like A LOT. Better start training 'Gray' ( Our Future kid, Ebony + Ivory = Gray :laughing: ) to be the next Tiger Woods of Geocaching.

Show me the $Money$ :laughing:

When you get home, you simply plug your JumpDrive into your computer, and a textbox opens up for each cache you found, allowing you to start typing your 'found it' log right away...or, you can simply have a pre-typed generic 'found it' message automatically downloaded onto each cache page, and all your finds are logged in nanoseconds... :laughing:

What, you dont have yours yet, here is mine jw-04-javaring.gif. Everything is done from the field.