The Main Thing That Caching Has Taught You

Certainly for me, I've learnt how much an area can change through the course of the year - places that were empty are now overgrown.... call me dumb, but although I knew it happened, I never realised how much!!!

Most of our caches were set in winter, when we have gone back to do a check on them, the area looks totally different!

The biggest surprise I got while visiting one of them called Daisys run was how the tall the grass had grown, but an even bigger surprise was that there was actually a clump of Daisies growing very close to it!

I dont know what type of Daisies they were but they were very tall.

Everything looks so different thro the seasons and like you I have never noticed it before!

Dont ya just love seeing our countyside change!

Lolly

Certainly for me, I've learnt how much an area can change through the course of the year - places that were empty are now overgrown.... call me dumb, but although I knew it happened, I never realised how much!!!

For me it has to be how little I actually know the local area I have lived in my entire life! I know the general area, and bits of it extremely well, but other local cachers have shown me new bits I never knew existed!

We moved up to Scotland 5 months ago and during that time we have set 12 caches.

We have also logged finds on about 50 more that were already here.

In the course of researching suitable places we have explored many places the average

tourist just wouldn't go. We know lots of local history and I even climbed a Munro to place

a cache!

Caching has taught me that there's more to life than work and the rat race.

it has taught me:

that there are NICE parks around where we live.

that you can go out for reasons other than shopping.

that my PDA that i bought over a year ago actually have a great use and it's time to reinstall their hotsynch program back on my PC.

walking outdoors is fun (i was agoraphobic 6 months ago when i couldn't walk out of my door).

the road that looks best way to go to the cache on the map isn't necessary the best way to go.

trust what your GPS says. (unless it's pointing to the middle of the river - in which case don't bother going scrambling across an abandoned bridge, because it's really on THIS side!!)

even if you boyfriend takes the mick out of you, take everything you think you'll ever need... seriously, you'll get to gloat about it later.

there's more use to laminators than covering notices and menus.

Well done Miss Butterfly. I'd never thought about the therapeutic value of caching for agrophobes but I guess the end of the walk has a clear 'goal' and thus 'end' means the outdoors can be better mentally packaged into manageable chunks. Clever stuff :P

Caching has taught me that it's the people who make something special, not the time or the place. Everyone say ahhhhh! :ph34r:

caching has taught me lots about myself.... I 've learned to enjoy my own company!!

More than ever though, rather than what caching has taugt me, I'd rather celebrate the great friends I've made through caching... too many to name here, but my regular caching buddies... Skippy and Pingu, Bargee, ac-p, Father Jack...

And then there's the great events... my social life has NEVER, EVER been better!!!

H

For Isaac (our 7 year old): teamwork, leadership skills, respect for the countryside, strategy, stamina....I could go on for quite a while as there are so many reasons.

For me: I've been taken to some amazing places and seen some fab things on our many caching trips. I've leant a lot of history I would not otherwise have known about. I've learnt to stop and explore countryside when it looks like it might be interesting - before caching I would have probably thought to myself that I would come back and explore soon, but would probably have never got round to it.

We've both made met some great people along the way and made some great friends too!

And finally (and above all), we've both had great fun :P

Edited by The Bolas Heathens

For me it has to be how little I actually know the local area I have lived in my entire life! I know the general area, and bits of it extremely well, but other local cachers have shown me new bits I never knew existed!

Ditto. I have lived in this area for over twenty years and, as we have always enjoyed walking, I thought I knew it pretty well. However, in just a few months of geocaching we have discovered lots of lovely pockets of countryside we were not aware of and have had the chance to revisit areas we did already know but seeing them in a new light.

Also I have learnt always to carry spare batteries and to put the car / starting point in as a waypoint before setting off!

Caching gets me going places and doing stuff that I would not otherwise do.

As I was climbing into an unfeasibly small inflatable dinghy the other evening, instead of blobbing out in front of the telly, I mused that this is not generally something that somebody of my age and gender would do on a Monday evening... but I tell you what, it was much more fun than watching the TV!!!

Caching has taught me many things, but the two main things are:

1) We live in a really beautiful country. The diversity in even your own small area of it is truly incredible. I have discovered so much about my local area that I simply did not have a clue about.

2) Kids actually prefer to be outside doing things like geocaching. Its just a modern cliche that all kids want to do is play on computers and watch television. Given the chance they want to go treasure hunting and spend some quality, fun time with Mum and Dad.

I could go on and on. Long live Geocaching. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

I have certainly learned something from the forum, don't leve your GPS on the roof of your car,

Caching has taught me to improve my acting skills - essential whem those muggles wander past! :laughing:

Plus it's taught me to unwind - a wander to a well placed rural cache means I can destress after a busy day / week at work. I never realised how stressed I could get until I had something else obsess about!

My major discovery? Finding out just how dangerous new Vari-focal lenses can be whilst walking through the countryside - the feet find drops that the eyes just don't see, resulting in a jarred back, sore limbs and grazed knees :D , especially on Springwatch by PopUpPirate! (Nice coin though, cheers! :D)

There's always the Ice Palace for recuperation :D They should keep a stock of dock leaves, it'd only be fair!

Edited by PopUpPirate

The main thing it taught me!!!!

If you have only ever jumped over a 5 foot, very muddy ditch, why the hell should you try and jump a 6 foot one!!! :D:D

Also, cover yourself in mud and it will scare away dogs!!! :D:D

Almost forgot, will cause the wife to roll about on the kitchen floor laughing her head off!! :D

Nick