Bugs & Coins

storm1

is there any rules against going back to caches you've already logged to retrieve a bug or coin that is now in it?

can you? is it proper edicate? has anyone done it?

It's perfectly acceptable to revisit a cache to retrieve a coin or a bug that interests you. You might raise some eyebrows, though, if you repeatedly raid the same cache (or few caches) and prevent anyone else from having a chance.

Proper way to log it after your first visit is a "note" instead of a "found it", since you can really only "find" it once.

And it's "etiquette", not "edicate". :blink:

Edited by WascoZooKeeper

It's perfectly acceptable to revisit a cache to retrieve a coin or a bug that interests you. You might raise some eyebrows, though, if you repeatedly raid the same cache (or few caches) and prevent anyone else from having a chance.

Proper way to log it after your first visit is a "note" instead of a "found it", since you can really only "find" it once.

And it's "etiquette", not "edicate". :blink:

Well said, nothing wrong with revisits to get a TB.

is there any rules against going back to caches you've already logged to retrieve a bug or coin that is now in it?

And it's "etiquette", not "edicate". :)

sorry...not much edication.

But seriously...going back to a cache grab a trackable item (IMHO) is not good etiquette UNLESS you also leave a trackable item. They say trade even for finding caches, this should especially apply if you are revisiting a cache. Granted, if you look through my logs, you'll find times where I haven't traded even, but if you can then do it. Plus, you can also "discover" a trackable item by writing down its tracking number and still leave it the cache for someone else to FIND.

But seriously...going back to a cache grab a trackable item (IMHO) is not good etiquette UNLESS you also leave a trackable item.

I disagree with this. If you can help a trackable item along on its goal, I see no reason to have to leave one in return. The goal of the items is to travel and to require that people trade a trackable item for a trackable item, would restrict their mobility.

The owner of a trackable item wants to see it move, not sit in a cache.

I disagree with this. If you can help a trackable item along on its goal, I see no reason to have to leave one in return. The goal of the items is to travel and to require that people trade a trackable item for a trackable item, would restrict their mobility.

The owner of a trackable item wants to see it move, not sit in a cache.

I agree that you shouldn't have to leave a trackable item just to take one but I do recommend logging it as soon as you can so that someone else that might be coming for that item knows it is gone. I have a few caches that are within a few miles of my house located on a walking trail. On occasion, if I see an item that I know I can help out (or I want to see a cool coin I haven't seen before), I will visit the cache to log the coin or retrieve the bug, but I try to log it right away.

B)My 2 cents..... I live in a kind of out of the way area, and one of my favorite cities to go caching has a great bug hotel that is near a major highway and I am always either picking up or dropping off a coin or TB. It works Great, That's what it's there for. "Travel" Bugs are meant to ... Travel! :)
But seriously...going back to a cache grab a trackable item (IMHO) is not good etiquette UNLESS you also leave a trackable item.

This is wrong.

Travel Bugs are never trade items.

There is no suggestion anywhere that Travel Bugs are to be traded.

Travel Bugs are items that belong to other geocachers.

Going back to a cache to pick up and move Travel Bugs is proper and helpful.

Take every bug you can help, all the time.

People who help Travel Bugs often are dropping one off while they pick one up, they are not trading them even though newcomers or those who do not grasp the general parameters of the game may not see that.

Anyone who tells you to trade Travel Bugs does not grasp the general parameters of the game.

A Travel Bug is a trackable item and it is on a mission that the owner has selected. Any advice should acknowledge that the Travel Bug is the property of another geocacher and that it is on a mission, your role is to help. You don't trade Travel Bugs, you don't leave them behind for others, you can't be greedy by helping them, don't restrict them, modify them or hinder them. When you pick up another geocachers Travel Bug and move it to another cache you are doing exactly the right thing. Don't worry if you have found the cache already, it doesn't matter at all and has nothing to do with picking up and helping to move Travel Bugs. Every time you help a Travel Bug you are specifically helping another geocacher and generally helping the community, that is good etiquette and it is the right thing to do.

You're welcome to stop in anytime Keystone!

And it's fine to go back to a cache anytime to pick up a travel bug and move it. It is not a trade item. There are so many travel bugs out there that missing a chance at one bug because someone picked it up does not preclude you from finding another soon enough. It's first come, first served. Kind of like racing out for a FTF. If you want that particular travel bug you'd better be first, because it wants to travel!

rules or no rules, I just might be doing it B) . Have put out two that have not moved and one I can get to, the other well, if it's still there when I hit that area again, I'm moving it with apologies to the owner!

Anyone here near Lake Murray in SC? :laughing:

I would agree with a lot of what has been said here. I guess I am a little disenchanted when I see people move bugs with lofty goals from a rather high traffic area to a place way in the wilderness...where the bug may have to wait months for another finder. But yes, if the bug has a goal that you can accomodate, then by all means help it along. If you can't help it on its mission, and return to a previously visited cache just to log it (or the icon in the case of a geocoin), is that OK? I guess I would say it depends on the situation...