The Muggle-side Cache Project

Just reading about many instances of muggles, muggled caches, and even muggle logs gave me the idea of creating a "muggle-side" cache, a cache not registered on gc.com but hidden where muggles can find it (maybe not too easily, but easy enuff). I would put cache-notes inside to encourage any "accidental" finders to help keep the secret safe and possibly give "non GPS" hints to other "muggle-side caches" using puzzles, etc. I don't know how well it would work, it's more of an experiment to encourage muggles to join the caching craze. Maybe this isn't a new idea and has been done before.

Any ideas about such a project?

The first "cache" i found was an experimental one like what you are describing. It was a couple of years ago, and placed by a student, with no reference to geocaching. We read through the logs and noticed that it was kind of wet. The log stated that it was replaced more than one time. When we returned 2 weeks later, all that was left was a soggy notebook. The ammo box and the contents were stolen. :P

This did peak my curiosity, as I returned to check on it. I would have gotten into caching sooner if it had been explained in that innitial cache that I found. :ph34r:

I would give the following advice:

Place it in an interesting area

Don't place it where a lot of vandals hang out

Use an ammo box, or something with trade items

Place a how to geocache info sheet in it, but make it short and simple

Place some geocaching brochures in also

**Just in case it gets muggled, use waterproof paper** (if the log is left, you will at least get an idea of how many people found it)

I might even ask people to go to your geocaching page and send you and email via GC.com

I just realized we are from the same area. I will send you a PM

Edited by salkids