Micro Sd

I have a Legend CX and I have City Nav 8 in the mail coming to me. I need a Micro SD card. Anyone have any trouble with the 1 gig version and the Legend CX? Also where's some good places to shop for a card pricewise?

Once I've installed City Nav 8 how do you switch from that map to the Topo Map if both are loaded on the Legend CX?

Thanks for any and all help! :blink:

I purchased a 1GB SanDisk microSD card from Amazon for $4.95.

The card sells for $44.95 but, if you take their Amazon credit card offer, you will get a $40.00 credit when your first bill comes. I did this and the card was approved in a matter of seconds. Then I purchased the item for $44.95 with free shipping. The invoice with the card shows $44.95 but Amazon states that when the bill comes for the credit card there will be a $40.00 credit on it so the 1GB microSD card will cost me $4.95 in the end. Now THAT is a deal. :laughing:

I purchased a 1GB SanDisk microSD card from Amazon for $4.95.

The card sells for $44.95 but, if you take their Amazon credit card offer, you will get a $40.00 credit when your first bill comes. I did this and the card was approved in a matter of seconds. Then I purchased the item for $44.95 with free shipping. The invoice with the card shows $44.95 but Amazon states that when the bill comes for the credit card there will be a $40.00 credit on it so the 1GB microSD card will cost me $4.95 in the end. Now THAT is a deal. :laughing:

I didn't go for their credit card offer but I bought my 1GB Sandisk microSD card from Amazon for $$44.95 too last week and they had the best delivered price by far of anyone else I found (that was reputable) using Froogle. Edited by Jerry Bransford

Slightly off topic: I have a 60csx and just got the City Nav V8. I know I need more memory, but how much is sufficent? 128MB? 256MB?

It depends on how many map segments you want to load. How often do you travel and over how wide an area? 64MB will hold a bit more than one major metropolitan area, including all surrounding suburbs and exurbs. 1GB will hold about half the US. My "working" 1GB card has the areas I travel to frequently -- the entire east and west coasts of the US and Canada plus a few other US cities I'm likely to be stuck in regularly (e.g, Chicago and Denver -- can you guess which airline I tend to use?), and a few cities in Europe to which I occasionally travel. That still leaves about 150MB to spare.

Unfortunately, I believe the 60csx has a hard limit of 1000 waypoints (which are stored in memory and not on the card), which makes it impossible to simultaneously load all the geocaches on all the map segments that can fit on a 1GB card. Hopefully there's a clever workaround to that that I'm not aware of and someone will correct me.

Harry Caul

Edited by Harry Caul

Got my 1GB USModular MicroSD at www.buy.com early this week for $34.95 after $8 rebate. The memory card is a Sandisk 1GB memory chip, and the card reader is labled as USModular. So instead of paying $50 for a 1GB Sandisk card, you pay $34.95 for a USModular brand and get Sandisk card anyway.

Unfortunately, I believe the 60csx has a hard limit of 1000 waypoints (which are stored in memory and not on the card), which makes it impossible to simultaneously load all the geocaches on all the map segments that can fit on a 1GB card. Hopefully there's a clever workaround to that that I'm not aware of and someone will correct me.

Harry Caul

The 60CSx does have a limit of 1000 waypoints, but it can have as many POI as your memory card can hold and you can navigate to them too. You can load them with Garmin's POILoader, although the latest version 2.3 does have a bug and you should get the previous version here.

It loads both CSV and GPX-files.

ProsperoDK/René

Harry Caul

The 60CSx does have a limit of 1000 waypoints, but it can have as many POI as your memory card can hold and you can navigate to them too. You can load them with Garmin's POILoader, although the latest version 2.3 does have a bug and you should get the previous version here.

It loads both CSV and GPX-files.

ProsperoDK/René

Ah, terrific! Should have thought of that.

One question: do you (or anyone) happen to know if there's any reasonable way to load geocache waypoints as POIs from a Mac (without resort to virtual PC)? Is there some magic incantation of GPSBabel that will load POIs into the 60csx (or onto the micro sd directly).

Also, do the rudementary geocaching functions on the Garmin still work if the geocaches are POIs and not waypoints?

Thanks

Harry Caul

Edited by Harry Caul
Slightly off topic: I have a 60csx and just got the City Nav V8. I know I need more memory, but how much is sufficent? 128MB? 256MB?

Somebody probably already said this, but you spent close to $600 for the unit the maps etc. Spring for the 1G card for another $40. You can load most of the east coast in both topo and CN maps on that card and still have room left over for tracks.

:)

I am too cheap to buy a 1 Gig card for my Legend Cx / (Now it's a Vista Cx, but that's a long story) I got on the Ebay and bought two 64 mb Micro cards with adapters. About $5.00 each plus $1.00 shipping. :o:o (I don't use the adapters.) Can anyone answer this question? How do I mark and store these puny cards so they are ready for use? I am in the midwest-- Kansas city area. I can load all of the counties in Missouri, all the bordering counties in the adjoining states, with 250 geocaching and other waypoints, and the card is half full. I figure with multiple cards, I can preload the maps I may need-- but I think I'll lose them. Any Ideas on how to keep them safe and ready for use?

Easiest way to find out how much is "enough" is to fire up MapSource, select City Nav v8, zoom out until to around 100 mi or more, make sure the Maps tab is selected over on the left-hand side, and then just start selecting all the areas that you'd like to have on your GPS simultaneously. There's a running total of how much memory you'll need down towards the lower left. The 64MB card that's included with the 60CSx should hold City Nav maps for all of MA, VT, NH, CT, RI, and the western section of ME - actually a pretty decent chunk of geocaching real estate. :)

So if you need/want more maps than the 85% of New England that'll fit on your 64MB card, just keep selecting map segements until you've got the coverage you're looking for, check out the memory requirements down in the lower-left, and either buy a memory card that's sufficiently large to hold the maps, or just suck it up and go for the 1GB card anyways, since the pricing on microSD cards isn't proportional to their capacity anyways (leaving the 1GB card as the best bang for the buck).

Keep in mind that if you've blown your "geo-toy budget" getting the GPSr and City Nav, it's really not a big deal to just select and download a different combination of maps to handle vacation/business/etc trips to other areas. I did that pretty frequently with my previous GPSr (a 76CS) for business trips, took maybe 10 minutes to download a completely different 115 MB of map data to that particular GPSr.

I am too cheap to buy a 1 Gig card for my Legend Cx / (Now it's a Vista Cx, but that's a long story) I got on the Ebay and bought two 64 mb Micro cards with adapters. About $5.00 each plus $1.00 shipping. :o:o (I don't use the adapters.) Can anyone answer this question? How do I mark and store these puny cards so they are ready for use? I am in the midwest-- Kansas city area. I can load all of the counties in Missouri, all the bordering counties in the adjoining states, with 250 geocaching and other waypoints, and the card is half full. I figure with multiple cards, I can preload the maps I may need-- but I think I'll lose them. Any Ideas on how to keep them safe and ready for use?

If you've got the plastic case that holds both an SD adapter and a microSD card (like the retail SanDisk microSDs come with), I'd probably use those cases - they're large enough that you've got a fighting chance of finding them again in your caching bag when you want to swap map cards. :) You could also put a label on the outside of each case to indicate which card and which map set is inside.

Alternative might be to get one of those keychain pillboxes like a Bison tube:

geo5586bb.jpg

(I've seen similar containers in varying sizes/colors near the check-out counters of many drug stores. No geocaching logo though. :o)

Sure, they're totally overkill size-wise compared to the microSD card, but again the idea would be to have a large enough container that you don't lose track of the wee microSD beasties. As with the plastic cases, I'd also find it easier to label the Bison tube rather than attempting to put something directly on the card itself. Attach to your keyring, or a loop on your caching bag, or even to the lanyard for your GPSr.

Staples will have a sale on Micro SD this Sun 7/16

SanDisk 1GB Micro SD™ memory card $64.98 - $20 instant savings - $10 easy rebate = $34.98.

SanDisk® 512MB Micro SD™ memory card $44.98 - $10 instant savings - $10 easy rebate = $24.98.

And use this 12% coupon

http://www.hotdealsclub.com/text/staples108/staples.pdf

Oh just notice it can't be use until 7/23. :)

Well hope that will help someone.

Edited by Team ECO Cache

Ah, terrific! Should have thought of that.

One question: do you (or anyone) happen to know if there's any reasonable way to load geocache waypoints as POIs from a Mac (without resort to virtual PC)? Is there some magic incantation of GPSBabel that will load POIs into the 60csx (or onto the micro sd directly).

I have no idea, I use a laptop with WinXP myself. And I pretty much don't use GPSbabel directly, only as it's used behind the scenes in GSAK.

Also, do the rudementary geocaching functions on the Garmin still work if the geocaches are POIs and not waypoints?

Thanks

Harry Caul

No, the geocaching function is dependent on waypoints with the open/closed chest symbol (or whatever other symbols you change it to).

I have uploaded custom waypoint symbols on my GPSr that match the waypoint symbols on GC.com so I at a glance can see what type of cache each waypoint is and I like that much better.

You can also assign a different symbol to different POI's.

When you upload the files to the GPSr via POILoader, say a file called "traditional_caches.csv", then if you put at "16x16, 256 color" BMP-image-file named "traditional_caches.bmp" in the same directory you have the csv-file in, it will be assigned to those POI's. The magenta? color RGB(256,0,256) will be used as transparent if you want to make them yourself.

I just had a look to see if I could find the custom icons I used, and luck would have it that another thread in this forum referenced that site I was thinking about.

Look at question 9 under "Managing and Using Waypoints" on this page. And read the other stuff too, there's a lot of good hints there.

ProsperoDK/René

Edited by ProsperoDK

Staples will have a sale on Micro SD this Sun 7/16

SanDisk 1GB Micro SD™ memory card $64.98 - $20 instant savings - $10 easy rebate = $34.98.

SanDisk® 512MB Micro SD™ memory card $44.98 - $10 instant savings - $10 easy rebate = $24.98.

And use this 12% coupon

http://www.hotdealsclub.com/text/staples108/staples.pdf

Oh just notice it can't be use until 7/23. :D

Well hope that will help someone.

THANK YOU! I just went out and bought the 1GB one (only one left in the store). I much prefer the Easy Rebates over mail in ones, which is why I went there instead of Best Buy where it's the same price after rebate. I'm currently loading 1GB of data on it now!