Puzzle Caches

As you are a Utahn, Utah Association of Geocachers have a FORUM for requesting hints on Utah caches.

Eww. That's almost as bad as the website that gives you the answers to some puzzle caches.

I don't think so - sometimes nudge is needed to point us in the right direction before our brains can begin to function properly. As of now, I haven't used the forum, but if I am having trouble with a particular cache I can usually glean something from found logs to get me headed the right way - what's the difference? As long as there are just "nudges" to help someone find a cache and not an obvious give-away on the answer or cache location I think it is a good idea. Personally, as a cache owner, I would like my caches found rather than just causing frustration when a cacher can't locate it.

Edited by overtaxed1

IMHO, it would be better to ask for a nudge from the owner. If they want you to have a nudge, they can give it.

ANALOGY:

Let's say you're at a dinner party, and you ask someone someone a particularly difficult riddle. They think on it for a while. Their significant other whispers a hint in their ear, and they get it right.

Wouldn't you have rather that they ask YOU for a hint and YOU can decide whether or not to give it to them?

I'd rather have a nudge from someone else that hasn't solved it yet, than from the owner. That way it still feels sporting.

The owner knows the answer and is likely to tell me too much and give it away.

But as an owner of a puzzle cache, I'd be upset if there were a forum full of hints that I didn't approve. I put hints on my page, and I give hints in emails as needed.

If someone emails a past finder and asks them about it I can't control how much information is out there, but it's not a public display that everyone can see either.

IMHO, it would be better to ask for a nudge from the owner. If they want you to have a nudge, they can give it.

I think that there are many different levels of hint giving that may or not be acceptable, depending on your point of view.

• The owner giving a hint
  • Your friend giving you a hint
  • Posting a hint on the GC.com forums
  • Posting a hint on a regional forum
  • Posting a hint in a private blog
  • Posting a hint on a private website, just for hints to other people's caches

For some people, only obtaining the hint from the owner will be acceptable. Others will find that some of the other options are acceptable. A few will have no problem with any of the options.

I think that there are many different levels of hint giving that may or not be acceptable, depending on your point of view.

• The owner giving a hint
  • Your friend giving you a hint
  • Posting a hint on the GC.com forums
  • Posting a hint on a regional forum
  • Posting a hint in a private blog
  • Posting a hint on a private website, just for hints to other people's caches

For some people, only obtaining the hint from the owner will be acceptable. Others will find that some of the other options are acceptable. A few will have no problem with any of the options.

But each of those (except the first) takes the "ownership" of the puzzle and how it is solved out of the hands of the cache owner.

IMO: yuck.