Poli, A Fairy Tale

Once upon a time there was a person of limited intellect. He used to be called an imbecile until that word fell out of favor with the PC crowd. For a while he was called an idiot but some found that insulting. So we’ll call him a person of limited intellect (POLI) to keep from hurting anyone’s feelings. POLI was poor, he didn’t have much money to his name, or even property he could sell. He was far too lazy to work for his money and too embarrassed to beg. He thought about stealing but was afraid to confront anyone.

One lonely afternoon he stood near the bus terminal amid the blowing trash staring at his last dollar bill. Suddenly he had an epiphany, a tremendous and wonderful idea. He threw the dollar on the ground and picked it up. “I found a dollar!” he loudly proclaimed. All the other people around him were happy for him and congratulated him for his find. “Now I have two dollars” he thought. POLI then walked to the end of the block and threw the dollar down again, and again shouted “I’ve found a dollar!” By the end of the first day he was up by several thousand dollars and all his friends were impressed by the incredible turn around he had made in his life. Not long after that POLI discovered that you can get free film canisters at the drug store and began geocaching.

Edited by Criminal

Find a penney pick it up and all the day you’ll have good luck. Find a dollar and you can holler cauz you got more than POLI. Find a can - nope it’s missin; you’re the man cauz the owner gave permission.

Sittin in my chair, thinking I was there but never went for it anywhere, claimed my goal, got stuck in a hole and now I found a dollar.

:tired:

:blink:

:blink:

And now, the rest of the story;

POLI was so happy with his new found wealth that tears were often observed dripping from his cheeks. Then along came POWR, (Pompous, Obtuse, White Robe), who saw POLI having fun and enjoying life. POWR was so full of self hatred that he couldn't stand to see someone actually enjoying themselves. As such, he made it his life mission to destroy POLI's joy, by calling him a "Liar" and a "cheater" every time he announced another find.

Somehow, there remained a shred of humanity deep within POWR's black heart, and guilt started to creep in as a result of all the vitriol he had hurled at poor POLI. Rather than acknowledge the guilt by considering the impact of his actions, POWR decided to recruit other arrogant, intolerant people to his cause, using a recent Al Gore invention known as the Internet. Sadly, POWR's ranks swelled, as numerous like minded souls scurried to get their own white robe, and the Holy Church of BerthaBetterThanYou was founded.

POLI was so distraught over this, that he gave up caching all together, and returned to politics, becoming our 42nd President. :blink:

POLI was so happy with his new found wealth that tears were often observed dripping from his cheeks.

Then along came POWR, (Pompous, Obtuse, White Robe), who saw POLI having fun and enjoying life. POWR was so full of self hatred that he couldn't stand to see someone actually enjoying themselves. As such, he made it his life mission to destroy POLI's joy, by calling him a "Liar" and a "cheater" every time he announced another find.

Somehow, there remained a shred of humanity deep within POWR's black heart, and guilt started to creep in as a result of all the vitriol he had hurled at poor POLI. Rather than acknowledge the guilt by considering the impact of his actions, POWR decided to recruit other arrogant, intolerant people to his cause, using a recent Al Gore invention known as the Internet. Sadly, POWR's ranks swelled, as numerous like minded souls scurried to get their own white robe, and the Holy Church of BerthaBetterThanYou was founded.

POLI was so distraught over this, that he gave up caching all together, and returned to politics, becoming our 42nd President.

I think this is how the story really continues:

POLI was so happy with his new found wealth that tears were often observed dripping from his cheeks. Then along came POWR (Points Out Wacky Reasoning) who pointed out to POLI that all he still had in his pocket

was $1 and he was fooling himself by thinking he was rich. Well POLI bristled at the suggestion that he was not rich. How could he not be? He found thousands of dollars. POLI's defenders came out of the woodwork. They said if POLI thinks he has thousands of dollars, then he has thousands of dollars and POWR has no right

to point out the obvious - that POLI only has $1. POLI's defenders then went on to call POWR all kinds of vile names - likening him to the KKK, all because POWR pointed out the obvious. POLI, bouyed by the support, continued dropping and finding the dollar in an effort to accumulate wealth, fame and the admiration of others. Others noticed the adulation heaped on POLI and began to emulate him. POLI soon gave up caching and using his new found ability at financial smoke and mirrors, became a New Jersey state senator.

Edited by briansnat

Is there some point to this thread?

Or are you all just trying to rehash an old argument?

Does the term "beating a dead horse" mean anything to you?

Since new people are continually arriving in these Forums, it is important to let them know how easily they can inflate their paltry, early Find counts by the Dollar Bill method. :blink:

Otherwise, they might continue caching for months only logging the caches they actually find and sign the logs for. :blink:

Since new people are continually arriving in these Forums, it is important to let them know how easily they can inflate their paltry, early Find counts by the Dollar Bill method. :blink:

Otherwise, they might continue caching for months only logging the caches they actually find and sign the logs for. :tired:

Oh, so you're saying that the "dollar" is actually a cache?

And people are logging their own hides as finds?

Can you, perhaps, point out a couple of cachers who are hiding a large number of caches and logging their own hides as finds? :blink:

I can easily name one who, by his own admission, regularly logs finds on caches that he didn't actually find. As a matter of fact, he considers those faked finds to be some of his best times while caching. :blink:

Otherwise, they might continue caching for months only logging the caches they actually find and sign the logs for. :tired:

Oh, so you're saying that the "dollar" is actually a cache?

And people are logging their own hides as finds?

Can you, perhaps, point out a couple of cachers who are hiding a large number of caches and logging their own hides as finds? :blink:

I can easily name one who, by his own admission, regularly logs finds on caches that he didn't actually find. As a matter of fact, he considers those faked finds to be some of his best times while caching. :blink:

I'm glad he is happy. Simple things.....

Someone's not afraid to wallow in his/her political carp.

There are several carp swimming in the pond in my friend Leslie's backyard, but I do not remember any of them ever having any political opinions or aspirations, and rather, they were just carp, the goldenkind, that look like giant goldfish (which they likely may be, as goldfish belong to the carp family...) And, I have never seen any of the carp in Leslie's pond wallowing, either. You must know unusual carp.

POLI was so happy with his new found wealth that tears were often observed dripping from his cheeks.

Then along came POWR, (Pompous, Obtuse, White Robe), who saw POLI having fun and enjoying life. POWR was so full of self hatred that he couldn't stand to see someone actually enjoying themselves. As such, he made it his life mission to destroy POLI's joy, by calling him a "Liar" and a "cheater" every time he announced another find.

POLI was so distraught over this, that he gave up caching all together, and returned to politics, becoming our 42nd President.

I think this is how the story really continues:

POLI was so happy with his new found wealth that tears were often observed dripping from his cheeks. Then along came POWR (Points Out Wacky Reasoning) who pointed out to POLI that all he still had in his pocket

was $1 and he was fooling himself by thinking he was rich. Well POLI bristled at the suggestion that he was not rich. How could he not be? He found thousands of dollars. POLI's defenders came out of the woodwork. They said if POLI thinks he has thousands of dollars, then he has thousands of dollars and POWR has no right

to point out the obvious - that POLI only has $1. POLI's defenders then went on to call POWR all kinds of vile names - likening him to the KKK, all because POWR pointed out the obvious. POLI, bouyed by the support, continued dropping and finding the dollar in an effort to accumulate wealth, fame and the admiration of others. Others noticed the adulation heaped on POLI and began to emulate him. POLI soon gave up caching and using his new found ability at financial smoke and mirrors, became a New Jersey state senator.

You forgot to mention the fact that Poli's friends and followers also called POWR a "nazi".

It's funny how POLI counting the same dollar thousands of times didn't have any effect on the number of dollars I have in my wallet (or bank account).

No, but if POLI keeps "finding" all that money, you and others may decided to go there and search for some too. Imagine your annoyance when you find that there was no money and you are now out the amount of money you paid for gas because POLI was lying about it the whole time.

Edited by briansnat

Someone's not afraid to wallow in his/her political carp.

There are several carp swimming in the pond in my friend Leslie's backyard, but I do not remember any of them ever having any political opinions or aspirations, and rather, they were just carp, the goldenkind, that look like giant goldfish (which they likely may be, as goldfish belong to the carp family...) And, I have never seen any of the carp in Leslie's pond wallowing, either. You must know unusual carp.

I don't know, everytime I see carp at the river they seem to be wallowing at the edge of the water. I've tired to ask them what they're looking for but they usually just splash about and swim away :blink:

Oh, and I think those big golden carp are called Koi, but I'm not sure why since they are really just big golden (and maybe asian) carp.

You forgot to mention the fact that Poli's friends and followers also called POWR a "nazi".

That's were they'd be wrong.

POWR isn't a "nazi".

Poor little POWR is just trying to boost his own self esteem by denigrating others.

He should be pitied, actually. :blink:

So, being honest, telling it like it is, and doing the right thing is somehow denigrating to others. WHOA,,, i gotta think about this for a bit! :blink:

When your position is both indefensible and asinine, the only thing left is a personal attack. Been there, heard that.

I'm glad you agree that with my opinion of POWR's actions.

I’m disappointed, I was sure you’d use the “I’m rubber, you’re glue” one. That would have made it at least sporting.

When your position is both indefensible and asinine, the only thing left is a personal attack. Been there, heard that.

I'm glad you agree that with my opinion of POWR's actions.

I’m disappointed, I was sure you’d use the “I’m rubber, you’re glue” one. That would have made it at least sporting.

Poor little Criminal.

Such a pity. :blink:

Poor little Criminal.

Such a pity. :blink:

No, the pity is that the perpetrators of these schemes for personal aggrandizement have such a coterie of syncophants who are just in so much in awe of these BS artists that they forget their own sense of indignation at what should be considered honest. Maybe Criminal is the only one with the orbs to bring it to the the forefront that what they are doing will, in the long run, hurt the whole game more than their individual integrities.

Even though TBTB have tried to quash the 'anything goes' movement, certain very prominent cacher(s) put themselves above the 'guidelines' and are continuing to build their personal glory on falsified records. That's the pity, as many new and old cachers look up to this chicanery, and try to emulate that as 'honest' caching.

No, but if POLI keeps "finding" all that money, you and others may decided to go there and search for some too. Imagine your annoyance when you find that there was no money and you are now out the amount of money you paid for gas because POLI was lying about it the whole time.

ouch. :blink: Did you actually post that, or am I imagining things here?:blink:

That was one of the more sane posts in this thread. :tired:

That was one of the more sane posts in this thread. :tired:

Yes it sure was!

Once upon a time there was a person of limited intellect. He used to be called an imbecile until that word fell out of favor with the PC crowd. For a while he was called an idiot but some found that insulting. So we’ll call him a person of limited intellect (POLI) to keep from hurting anyone’s feelings. POLI was poor, he didn’t have much money to his name, or even property he could sell. He was far too lazy to work for his money and too embarrassed to beg. He thought about stealing but was afraid to confront anyone.

One lonely afternoon he stood near the bus terminal amid the blowing trash staring at his last dollar bill. Suddenly he had an epiphany, a tremendous and wonderful idea. He threw the dollar on the ground and picked it up. “I found a dollar!” he loudly proclaimed. All the other people around him were happy for him and congratulated him for his find. “Now I have two dollars” he thought. POLI then walked to the end of the block and threw the dollar down again, and again shouted “I’ve found a dollar!” By the end of the first day he was up by several thousand dollars and all his friends were impressed by the incredible turn around he had made in his life. Not long after that POLI discovered that you can get free film canisters at the drug store and began geocaching.

This is about caching?

Gee, I thought this was about the "tax and spend" mentality of our politicians. :P

If POLI believes he is now rich thanks to all his "found" money he will go on a spending spree (all credit of course) and then file bankruptcy when his creditors cruelly refuse to accept his dollar as payment in full.

To recoup their losses his creditors will have to increase the fees they charge all the honest customers, thus proving once again that there is no such thing as a victimless crime, we all pay for his lies and ignorance.

...certain very prominent cacher(s) put themselves above the 'guidelines' ...

Isn't "seek adequate permission when placing a cache" one of those guidelines?

Or are certain prominent cachers allowed to pick and choose which guidelines to ignore?

Ignoring that guideline does more damage to geocaching than any supposedly false finds could ever do.

When your position is both indefensible and asinine, the only thing left is a personal attack.

Would calling someone who sees things differently then you a "liar" and/or a "cheater" be considered a personal attack?

I would certainly think so.

(Post script, just to keep Crim happy: I'm rubber, you're glue. Anything you say bounces off me and sticks to you. :P )

Poor little Criminal.

Such a pity. :laughing:

No, the pity is that the perpetrators of these schemes for personal aggrandizement have such a coterie of syncophants who are just in so much in awe of these BS artists that they forget their own sense of indignation at what should be considered honest. Maybe Criminal is the only one with the orbs to bring it to the the forefront that what they are doing will, in the long run, hurt the whole game more than their individual integrities.

Even though TBTB have tried to quash the 'anything goes' movement, certain very prominent cacher(s) put themselves above the 'guidelines' and are continuing to build their personal glory on falsified records. That's the pity, as many new and old cachers look up to this chicanery, and try to emulate that as 'honest' caching.

What guidelines would those be? The only guidelines I've ever seen pertain to HIDING / PLACING a cache - you know, the ones that say things like "don't hide under a bridge", "don't hide near train tracks", "always hide the largest container an area can hold", etc.

But for my enlightenment, can you please post a link to the LOGGING guidelines? I know I must have missed them somewhere, because I've never actually SEEN the documentation that forbids logging a cache more than once, logging your own cache, and other such felonious acts. Surely such documentation exists!

Thanks!

Edited by ParrotRob

ouch. :laughing: Did you actually post that, or am I imagining things here?:laughing:

That was one of the more sane posts in this thread. :laughing:

Briansnat is right-on when he continues to point this out to those who say fake logs don't hurt anyone. His example that someone wastes their time looking for a cache because someone else falsely claimed a find is hard to argue with. I just think that this is a relatively small problem. I'd be more concerned with NELO (never enters logs online). NELO has found the dollar after several people have not, but doesn't log online. Now I might decide not to look for something on my trip to NELO's area. I have been deprived of an opportunity to find the dollar. Or maybe NELO didn't find the dollar and didn't log that. Since there was only one other DNF and that was from a newbie, I might waste my time looking for something that's not there. I am not arguing that it is OK to lie about finding a cache. Logs that are clearly bogus should be deleted by the cache owner. But I wonder why one would worry about POLI's or NELO's find count. To me all find counts (other than one's own) are suspect.

What guidelines would those be? The only guidelines I've ever seen pertain to HIDING / PLACING a cache - you know, the ones that say things like "don't hide under a bridge", "don't hide near train tracks", "always hide the largest container an area can hold", etc.

But for my enlightenment, can you please post a link to the LOGGING guidelines? I know I must have missed them somewhere, because I've never actually SEEN the documentation that forbids logging a cache more than once, logging your own cache, and other such felonious acts. Surely such documentation exists!

I think one would be the ban on moving caches. There are certain practices that are meant to circumnvent this ban. They include "pocket caches", "retirement cards" and the practice of removing traditional caches (or their logbooks) from their posted location and bringing them to events.

There are certain people who continually flout the guidelines using these methods. Many of the same people are also very quick to log these extralegal caches. While there is no guideline regarding logging practices, by logging finds on these "caches" they are only encouraging the practice. If everyone refused to log these caches the practice would stop. You can't have prostitutes without the john.

When your position is both indefensible and asinine, the only thing left is a personal attack.

Would calling someone who sees things differently then you a "liar" and/or a "cheater" be considered a personal attack?

I would certainly think so.

(Post script, just to keep Crim happy: I'm rubber, you're glue. Anything you say bounces off me and sticks to you. :laughing: )

I’m not calling anyone a liar or cheater, I’m simply observing what is plain to everyone. If you select Found It on the cache page when you did not, it’s a lie. There is no ambiguity about it. Correctly logging a find online after opening the container and (if possible) signing the logbook has many benefits.

It tells everyone the cache is indeed there.

It confirms the coordinates are reasonably accurate.

It fulfills the intent of the cache owner.

It protects the integrity of the game.

To go to the area and decide that’s good enough for a find, or worse, dropping your own cache to replace one you couldn’t find, damages the intent of the game. Why even bring or own a GPS receiver? You can read the name of the park off the cache page and simply walk around it once and claim the find, right? True, for most urban micros it’s probably not as big a deal. What about the fun caches that require some mental and\or physical effort?

”I didn’t want to get my shoes muddy, so I’m claiming the find” What about those that did the hike and did get their shoes muddy and accurately posted their find? Your fake find makes a mockery of their efforts.

There was a news report a while back about some lowlife scum that would buy a Congressional Medal of Honor off the internet and then run around claiming to have earned this tremendous award. :laughing:“Hey, it’s not hurting anyone, right? So they wear a medal, big deal, as long as they’re having fun it shouldn’t bother you.” It would bother John Levitow, a hero who deserved it.

If you lie, I’m going to use the word liar to describe what you’re doing. If that bothers you, play the game honestly.

If a cache is placed in a park meant for locals only and then I drive 30 miles to that park and get the cache, am I cheating since I got a cache on property that I wasn't welcome at?

If you found the cache, you were not cheating . . . but you might have been trespassing. :laughing:

If a cache is placed in a park meant for locals only, it probably should not have been approved, because anyone who doesn't live there is technically trespassing. The Reviewer would have had no way of knowing that, but if non-locals are approached by Security and asked to leave, the cache should probably get an SBA log.

I DNFd a cache that had No Trespassing signs on the access road. It was for Residents Only. I put the cache on my watchlist and it gets found all the time, so obvioulsy other cachers don't have a problem with the signs . . . .