On Being Muggled

Recently splinter98 and I placed some caches on the Bristol-Bath Cycle Path and had to work extremely hard to avoid the suspicious looks of passers-by: we eventually made up an unweildy system of codenames to shout when muggles were approaching:

Cyguggle - a muggle on a bicycle

Peduggle - a walking muggle

Joguggle - ...you get the idea.

We eventually found that persistent "situggles" were the most dangerous of the lot!

What are all your experiences in avoiding muggle detection?

And, although this is highly unlikely, do any of you have any better codenames than us? :laughing:

Carry a fake snake, and then come running out of the bushes YELLING snake. Make sure you have the snake in your hand. Then your partner can safely hide the cache while all the muggles are running the other way.

I like that idea!!! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

But i agree with the reply above this. It seems that most of the time potential muggles never even pay attention to you anyway...

I agree that situggles are the worst. Especially if the micro is under the bench they're sitting on. While I've grown comfortable with searching discreetly within feet of muggles, there are certain situations where the find just ain't gonna happen, and it's best to come back another time.

For my own contribution to the mugglossary, I will observe that our first hint of muggles being present is often the sight or sound of their canine companions leading the way. My daughter and I call those "doggles."

Carry a fake snake, and then come running out of the bushes YELLING snake. Make sure you have the snake in your hand. Then your partner can safely hide the cache while all the muggles are running the other way.

I like my Badger! Oh, angry badger!

Or the ever popular...

Bees! Bees in my hair, stinging.... me... feeling strange... go... night night...

:laughing:

Recently splinter98 and I placed some caches on the Bristol-Bath Cycle Path and had to work extremely hard to avoid the suspicious looks of passers-by: we eventually made up an unweildy system of codenames to shout when muggles were approaching:

Cyguggle - a muggle on a bicycle

Peduggle - a walking muggle

Joguggle - ...you get the idea.

We eventually found that persistent "situggles" were the most dangerous of the lot!

What are all your experiences in avoiding muggle detection?

And, although this is highly unlikely, do any of you have any better codenames than us? :laughing:

Bring a kid with you. They want to look for bugs in the oddest places.

Situggle is a great name.

PS I cycled that bike path many times when I lived in Bristol, what a great place for caches. I'll be very keen to do that again with a geocaching bent when we pop back "home" early next year sometime.

Just sit down next to them and tell them about your last vacation, work, divorce, doctor's visit, whatever. No matter how they respond, or try to change the subject, continue right where you left off.

i.e.

you "...and then we saw the leaning tower of Pisa!"

them "do you mind? i am on my cell phone."

you "yeah, and then we took a train to Rome and the conductor told us... blah blah"

i guarantee you they'll go find another bench shortly. that or hit you with a brick. but then you can use that for your next story! :laughing:

Just sit down next to them and tell them about your last vacation, work, divorce, doctor's visit, whatever. No matter how they respond, or try to change the subject, continue right where you left off.

i.e.

you "...and then we saw the leaning tower of Pisa!"

them "do you mind? i am on my cell phone."

you "yeah, and then we took a train to Rome and the conductor told us... blah blah"

i guarantee you they'll go find another bench shortly. that or hit you with a brick. but then you can use that for your next story! :laughing:

Dang. Where was this post last week when I really needed it. Situggles on a bench, 10 feet away from Ground zero. Problem being ground zero was 10 feet above the ground as well.

I walked away, found 7 other caches, came back over an hour later and the same two situggles were still there. Oh well. Cache saved for another time.

when i am in an area of high muggle concentration- i simply DNF the cache. I always assume that i will return later to find it when it is less populated. This is why i don't care for the urban geocaches - you always have to watch out for those who may be people-watching you and i really do hate that.

I've said it over and over - i love the remote wilderness geocaches - no muggle code is necessary. That is why i don't have a couple thousand "finds". It all lends itself nicely (the topic) to my philosophy of geocaching - to find new places that are worth finding. Urban caches where there are lots of muggles tend to be not worth my time anyway - my opinion -

to me - one of the major points of geocaching is to find places that you've never been - a light pole in a wal-mart parking lot is not my idea of a quality geocache. If you're trying to rack up your numbers chasing low quality geocaches - then a muggle code might be necessary. In so far as i am concerned - i know of one or two geocaches that are worth more to me than 100 of the others that i have pursued.

for me - its about quality caches and not about the numbers of caches that i might pile up - and i am afraid hat most of the geocaching community does not agree. For me - high muggle concentration means it isn't worth my time in the first place - no code necessarry - no offense - but just my opinion

Recently encountered "muggle ducks" but perhaps they should be "quack-a-muggles?" Quackuggles? One didn't like a big Canada goose-uggle near it's gosli-guggles so it goosed it! Never saw that before...

BTW: that cache also had a bunch of jog-uggles and sit-uggles nearby. They actually asked what I was up to and I told them. (to which they said they'd heard of the sport and would go look at the website) They never saw me with the cache as it was up a tree. (GCVNBJ)