You Have Already Found This Cache!

Vater und Sohn

I hope I never find so many caches that I would need such a tool......... :laughing:

Quite a lot of caches have the same or similar names, so it can come in handy there. Also, with the Firefox script the little box has links down to your logs for easy navigation :laughing:

Edited by Yellow ants

I vote for changing the cache page, it is a very small useful change. Not everyone uses Firefox (although I do) or wants to install Greasemonkey and an extension. I use several different machines to access GC.com and it is a bit of pain to get have to install stuff on all of them. Plus there are times when I use IE etc.

Edited by Tharagleb

Why would you want a feature like that if geocaching.com allows you to "find" a cache as many times as you want and blow up the statistics with that?

Hell, you can even find the caches you have hidden...

Some time ago, I warned a newbie about the fact that he had just logged a find on his own cache. The reply came promptly "wadda ya mean? it was hidden a few meters away, that counts as a find"...

Does anyone know if removing IE from a Windows computer will still cause major problems? I'm thinking of getting rid of it (and going to Firefox) because of all the security issues it has.

At one point Microsoft got into a lot of trouble over having IE embedded so deeply into Windows, but I haven't heard if it's been changed.

Does anyone know if removing IE from a Windows computer will still cause major problems? I'm thinking of getting rid of it (and going to Firefox) because of all the security issues it has.

At one point Microsoft got into a lot of trouble over having IE embedded so deeply into Windows, but I haven't heard if it's been changed.

I hate IE too, but sometimes I still come across a website or function that won't work properly in Firefox and have to load it up in IE. Thankfully this problem is becoming less common and I usually send an email to the webmaster if the site is one I use frequently to ask for a compatibility update. However, just something to think about before totally uninstalling IE.

I don't use FireFox as my normal browser. I use Opera, so I like the idea of a checkmark check.gif on the cache pages themselves. That way, if I ever have to go to a library and am forced to use IE :laughing: , I could still see if I had found the cache I am looking at.

Yesterday I searched for some caches in the area of the fire raging in San Bernardino county. At a glance, I didn't know which of the "Pioneertown" caches I had found without searching back to the time I was in the Yucca Valley area last year.

If this were implemented, I hope the software would only put one checkmark on the cache page and not 323 for an Event found many, many times . . . :laughing:

Not sure if you can really remove it, without having unintended consequences. You may not be able to run Windows Update. And I think the Help system is tied in with the browser code.

And there are still a few sites around that, because of the way they were written, will only fully work in IE. Use Firefox, and install the View In IE extension for those broken sites.

a bit off topic but to compliment my FireFox/Greasemonkey combo, I also use TurnAbout for IE. TurnAbout basically allows you to do the same thing for IE that GS does for FireFox. If written properly, the same user script will work with GreaseMonkey and TurnAbout... but with any javascript, if you want it to work in both browsers, you have to make sure it works in both browsers. :(

Ironic this just came up, I was thinking the same would be great the other day. Not just via Firefox (which I use) but on the page so other browsers and one's cell phone would get it too!

That way if you are talking to folks at an event and trying to decide on some caches to do after...

It would also save site bandwidth as we wouldn't have to load the page, then load the all logs page to search. -Randy

If we could add the "You have already found this geocache" feature to the watchlist page that would be cool too. Probably by use of the Red Checkmark rather than text...

Still waiting to see feature showing inactive geocaches as inactive on the watchlist page too... (e.g. strikethrough text as seen on quick view page.

I think a red check mark somewhere near the top of the cache page would be nice. The same one that is on the cache search listing:

check.gif

:oapproval :)

T'would be nice if TPTB were to chime in with a Yay or Nay...

I'll 2nd that! This seems to be requested almost every week. It'd be nice to hear something on this one.

Still waiting to see feature showing inactive geocaches as inactive on the watchlist page too... (e.g. strikethrough text as seen on quick view page.

This is a strike-through right?

watchlist.png

ProsperoDK/René

Those are archived caches, not disabled (inactive) ones. Archived caches are red strikethrough. Disabled caches are not red.

Thanks a million.

I'll send you my PayPal account info so you can make that deposit. :laughing:

You mean you haven't installed a keylogger and copied credit card numbers? Slacker.

I just installed this script and the show all logs script. Works wonderfully with FF 2.0 for me.

EDIT: Whoops, wrong thread. Sorry.

Edited by New England n00b

I think a red check mark somewhere near the top of the cache page would be nice. The same one that is on the cache search listing:

check.gif

:unsure:approval:mad:

I would like that feature very much! [:o]

This gets my vote too! I usually find a listing I want to do, load it up in Google Earth, and then look at the other caches nearby. I'm getting to the point where I can't remember if I did those caches or not, so then I have to look at the listing, click on show all logs, and scroll through the page looking for my log to see if I have done it or not.

A nice simple checkmark at the top would make it sooo much easier!

I'd rather just have a "you already found this cache" text as in the original post or something like the greasemonkey script in the second post, except implemented on the site rather than relying on 3rd party software.

A red checkmark would only result in forum posts here titled "What does this red check mark mean?"

Edited by ThePropers