Benchmark Picture Contest 2006 - Part 2

Black Dog Trackers

If you haven't seen them already, check out the pictures in the previous benchmark picture contests:

2004, 2005 Part 1, 2005 Part 2, 2006 Part 1

Once again here's the picture 'contest' 'rules'.

==========================================

Contest rules:

1. No intersection stations (the station IS the tower, building, etc.) Why? Well they all look pretty good, but they're not really all that 'benchmarky'.

2. The disk has to be at least vaguely visible in the picture. No - 'view from', 'the area', etc. with no PID marker in it. Why? It's gotta be a Benchmark picture!

3. It has to be a PID in the database, or at least one of its reference marks or its azimuth mark (in case they don't have their own PID).

4. Waymarked benchmark disk - any country.

5. No closeup of just the disk. (Comeon, it's just a disk - where's the nice scenery?)

==========================================

Even though this topic is called 2006 part 2, feel free to put in your favorite 'contest picture' from any previous time.

What's the prize in this contest? The prize is that your picture will be seen here with all the other excellent benchmark pictures! (Put your own in if you like, of course.)

So, here's a few that caught my eye recently in the Benchmark Gallery.

e41916d0-516f-4034-aff4-9c66d8fa1f71.jpg

Butter Hill Reset by Zhanna

40791469-b18a-449b-9b44-83ac9a3507ba.jpg

W 21 by JDubPooch

b9855042-e336-44cc-84e0-e4914ac3ff39.jpg

Laie Point RM 2 by Glenn

3c201232-1dad-4249-9b4c-b0fa70d317f5.jpg

T 25 S, R 14 E, Center 1/4 of section 29 by Volcanoguy

a744535f-c818-4585-acce-96033fcf85f6.jpg

USCGS Y270 by Volcanoguy

5369c234-896a-45c5-9995-66ec397afcf0.jpg

CAC 1098 by Shorelander

1d6fbef1-a4df-4926-8acb-70ae8ed42b38.jpg

Bober by GEO*Trailblazer 1

aa7bce06-7ba2-4bf1-99db-fbb276831d15.jpg

Double 2 by JDubPooch

e7d91d5c-2cca-45da-8a24-f11fd8deb546.jpg

Double 2 by JDubPooch

a25f5661-8ab5-4eaa-bb66-9778673719c1.jpg

M 2 by Me & Bucky

I knoe the BM disk has to be in the pic, but my all-time favorite while hunting is this one I took:

bac82ed4-8655-4386-b176-1b2241866135.jpg

The benchmark IS in the pic.. right under the rainbow. <_< I was out there getting pics of it, and saw the storm approach. I left before the clouds got there, and as soon as I got on the US highway I looked back and saw that. I pissed off more than a few people pulling over quickly to get the shot. :unsure:

[Edit: I realized that I did actually have a good picture to submit that fit all the rules: 3fb47fa6-b45b-451e-8517-14c2ca23f449.jpg The benchmark is under the orange arrow (a different orange than 'rust orange') on the bottom of the left bridge support. Yes. I was driving that contraption this day finding benchmarks.]

Me.

Edited by foxtrot_xray

I knoe the BM disk has to be in the pic, but my all-time favorite while hunting is this one I took:

bac82ed4-8655-4386-b176-1b2241866135.jpg

The benchmark IS in the pic.. right under the rainbow. :huh: I was out there getting pics of it, and saw the storm approach. I left before the clouds got there, and as soon as I got on the US highway I looked back and saw that. I pissed off more than a few people pulling over quickly to get the shot. :huh:

[Edit: I realized that I did actually have a good picture to submit that fit all the rules: 3fb47fa6-b45b-451e-8517-14c2ca23f449.jpg The benchmark is under the orange arrow (a different orange than 'rust orange') on the bottom of the left bridge support. Yes. I was driving that contraption this day finding benchmarks.]

Me.

Is that a Fairmont?

What kind of engine, single cylinder?

I could be benchmark hunting in one of those soon if the guy restoring it gets done.

Is that a Fairmont?

I could be benchmark hunting in one of those soon if the guy restoring it gets done.

Yup, Fairmont M19, single-cylinder putt-putt belt-driven maintenence car. Since i do work for the railroad, they give me access on the weekends to go driving and get some benchmark hunting done. This is completely off-topic, but I recommend making sure you have written permission from the railroad and be a member of NARCOA for insurance reasons. (And resource help, when you get stuck in ghod-knows-where because you forgot to check your plug before firing it up!)

Feel free to contat me if you need anything. :anicute:

Cheers,

Me.

Is that a Fairmont?

Yup, Fairmont M19, single-cylinder putt-putt belt-driven maintenence car. Since i do work for the railroad, they give me access on the weekends to go driving and get some benchmark hunting done. This is completely off-topic, but I recommend making sure you have written permission from the railroad and be a member of NARCOA for insurance reasons. (And resource help, when you get stuck in ghod-knows-where because you forgot to check your plug before firing it up!)

Feel free to contat me if you need anything. :laughing:

Cheers,

Me.

As a member of the board of directors of this railroad permission is not a problem. Train schedules are a problem.

MBHC (Mandatory Bench Hunting Content) I have a couple of benchmarks along the right of way I need to look for. It would be easier on flanged wheels.

As a member of the board of directors of this railroad permission is not a problem. Train schedules are a problem.

MBHC (Mandatory Bench Hunting Content) I have a couple of benchmarks along the right of way I need to look for. It would be easier on flanged wheels.

Oh, then you have it made. Go for it. :D When I first told several of our crews what I was doing, one engineer piped right up and said, "You mean thise little brass disks we see along the right of way?" So they DO see them... the hard ones are the chiseled crosses and squares that've been there for 100 years. :)

If you ever go out, lemme know, I'll join ya. I can never get enough time on the car, and never enough time hunting BMs. To do both is always a welcome diversion. :)

Me.

234499539_c9a30f89d1.jpg

I finally have one I can submit. A nice 1.6 mile hike up to Dege Peak (and then 1.6 miles back) from the Sunrise Visitor Center at Mount Rainier National Park.

At 7016 feet this is the highest benchmark I have recovered, and until tomorrow when we do Shriner Peak it will be the farthest I have hiked to claim a benchmark.

Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gpaulson/tags/sb1139/

234581342_909d055716.jpg

A round trip distance of 8.4 miles makes Shriner Peak the farthest I have hiked to claim a benchmark! We started our hike at 8:30am and reached the summit at a little past noon, gaining 3434 feet in altitude.

After a brief lunch we begin the descent which will take us a little more than 2 hours.

I only wish we had started at least an hour earlier to beat the sun's heat.

Benchmark Photos

Other Hike Photos

748b92d9-fc3f-4522-9f3a-75de54d3fcc1.jpg

Not nearly as good as 68-eldo's shot, but here's my stab at a double rainbow benchmark photo. If you look at the original image you can see the second arc better. It's halfway between the first arc and the left side of the image. (Note, the original picture gets resized smaller in the window; you would have to look at it in Paint. odd)

EQ0769 3410635001

Edited by BuckBrooke

These two shots are of the same area looking first towards the west and then towards the east. The major monument is QH0625 "Monument 518", which marks the point on the Vermont-Quebec boundary (US-Canada boundary) just west of Halls Stream. The other end of this short stretch is QH0631 "Monument 519A2", which used to be a regular monument, but is now just a disk on the concrete base.

Halls Stream marks the border from the northern mountains down to the 45th Parallel (between New Hampshire and Quebec) and at this point the border turns to the west and heads in a nearly straight line all the way across the top of Vermont and New York to the Saint lawrence River, over 150 miles to the west. So this monument is as close to the Vermont-New Hampshire-Quebec tri-point as you'll get on dry land. It's also one of only 13 "super-sized" monuments (out of 775) set on the US-Canada border in the northeast. It's roughly twice the size of the "regular-sized" monuments. It was set in 1845 (although the concrete base has been fixed severel times since).

All of this is in Beecher Falls, Vermont, near the customs station.

Looking west along the boundary vista from QH0625 "Monument 518"

96d688ea-95bf-495d-a03e-2047cafc34d6.jpg

Looking east along the boundary vista from QH0631 "Monument 519A2" towards Halls Stream

dd3efa2f-082c-49e8-8e05-fe56dac8d2a4.jpg

Edited by Papa-Bear-NYC

Another photo from Morro Bay Excursion (had server problems when I tried to post this yesterday).

View from something found on Black Hill (FV1654)

cfc8b8db-d65d-4ee7-bf05-38d04e6a1398.jpg

Kewaneh & Shark

I thought that looked familiar. Here's my shot of the same view...

The benchmark in your photo is now under several inches of direct (if it's still there). I started comparing a photo I have of the same area with yours - no benchmark visible and the rocks are more buried. I'll try again next time I'm in the area.

cjf

John and a good caching friend, hiked UP a canyon then UP slickrock to get these pictures yesterday. They are breathtaking!

64bb8ce4-8e1e-4ab4-aa9a-33ad05f8dda6.jpg

Looking Northwest towards another benchmark - 'Mollies Nipple' (a peak).

4c24f81c-5ade-4163-954d-6a5f163ec605.jpg

Looking south along the well known Monocline "The Cockscomb".

This is the link for "COX"

John held up pretty well..for an oldfart and going with a twenty-something young pup, just getting up out of his chair a little bit slower today. :D

Shirley~