Caches On Cruise Ships?

Are they're caches on cruise ships? If so, how do you search for them?

the owner of those caches must have to update there cords non-stop! :laughing:

you couldn't really use a GPS to find stuff on a moving object, since it's moving

your GPS would lead you right into the ocean!

Edited by Red 07Z

Caches on non-moving ships have been hidden and listed. Caches on ships that move would likely not be listed.

My wife and I were going to take a west coast-to east coast cruise last summer, but my surgery conflicted with it so we put it off. I had intended to run PQs for each port of call and hit a few at each stop.

This is how I learned about Geocaching!

Hubby and I went on a 10 day Baltic Sea Cruise on July 2 - and their was a couple that rented bikes at every port that I got to know. Anyway - they said they were geocaching and I didnt want to seem dumb - so I just nodded and said - oh cool. Had NO idea what they were talking about. Anyway - then found out he was blogging every day - so when I got back -wanted to see what nasty things they had to say about me - (just kidding!).

In his blog - he mentioned going to a guys house in Denmark and knocking on the guys door and finding a cache in his back yard. I was like - what the heck is this guy talking about - were we even on the same cruise??

Had to google it to figure it out - and here I am.

So in a round about way - yes you can geocache on a cruise. Now I have to find his blog again to find out how many caches they found!

Crunchberry

Hubby and I went on a 10 day Baltic Sea Cruise on July 2 - and their was a couple that rented bikes at every port that I got to know. Anyway - they said they were geocaching and I didnt want to seem dumb - so I just nodded and said - oh cool. Had NO idea what they were talking about. Anyway - then found out he was blogging every day - so when I got back -wanted to see what nasty things they had to say about me - (just kidding!).

In his blog - he mentioned going to a guys house in Denmark and knocking on the guys door and finding a cache in his back yard. I was like - what the heck is this guy talking about - were we even on the same cruise??

So in a round about way - yes you can geocache on a cruise. Now I have to find his blog again to find out how many caches they found!

Crunchberry

LOL, that's awesome! Too bad you didn't find out about it before you got back -- you could have had some sweet international finds!

Crunchberry

LOL, that's awesome! Too bad you didn't find out about it before you got back -- you could have had some sweet international finds!

I am so totally bummed about that! Wish my pride wasn't in the way and I could of just asked - what in the heck is geocaching? BUT I have seen in his blog that he didn't know how to handle the "muggles" on the ship that asked him what he was doing - guess I was a muggle....... ROTF - now.....

interesting note on the St. Petersburg port that we stopped for two days -

got an email from the guy that was geocaching since now I want to know how many he found.

He told me he almost lost his gps unit in Russia - they wanted to confiscate it. He had it out at the Peterhoffs palace garden and he got stopped by the security people! Since he was on a tour in russia - the only time he could check if there were caches hidden around was outside - and when they saw him with his GPS - guess they had a FIT! He told me he tried explaining what it was - they didnt care. He had to give it to the tour guide and promise not to use it on Russian soil or they would take it from him!

He had no problems at any other port though and got about 32 caches.

Ugh, my head hurts from reading this thread!

The word "They're" means "They are".

The word "There" refers to a place.

The word "Their" refers to something that belongs to someone.

Sorry, I just couldn't read this and not say something.

And let's not forget the "mute" point. SHould be moot.

<moderator's note>

Let's also keep in mind that correcting people's use of language on the Internet is seen as improper. It makes you look snooty. There are varied levels of education on the Internet. Face the facts people. If the topic is too much for you to deal with, move on.

For example, I could point out that while you corrected the word "mute" vs. "moot", you capitalized the "H" in "should", but I should not do that really and truly.

</moderator's note>

And let's not forget the "mute" point. SHould be moot.

<moderator's note>

Let's also keep in mind that correcting people's use of language on the Internet is seen as improper. It makes you look snooty. There are varied levels of education on the Internet. Face the facts people. If the topic is too much for you to deal with, move on.

For example, I could point out that while you corrected the word "mute" vs. "moot", you capitalized the "H" in "should", but I should not do that really and truly.

</moderator's note>

Well, aren't we all getting our noses up in the air!. I suggest we should all consider taking another tact when pointing out mistakes made by others.

Interesting concept. I guess this would be a "Letterbox Hybrid" since you couldn't use the GPS on a moving target. Is there any?

These would also not be approved due to the moving nature. Basically, the only thing that differentiates a letterbox hybrid is the inclusion of a stamp. Some also use clues to get you to the cache, but not always.

These would have to be true letterboxes, I guess, not geocaches.

Well, aren't we all getting our noses up in the air!. I suggest we should all consider taking another tact when pointing out mistakes made by others.

Is this where I point out that "tact" means "acute sensitivity to what is proper and appropriate in dealing with others, including the ability to speak or act without offending". The word JohnX was likely looking for is "tack", one of the meanings which is "a course of action meant to minimize opposition to the attainment of a goal".

It is evident that I am lacking tact when pointing out that tack would be a better word. Or maybe I am just trying to get the topic back on track -- tack being a nautical word when used to mean "the position of a vessel relative to the trim of its sails" -- and weren't we talking about cruises? :unsure:

I have actually done a real, legal geocache while on a cruise ship. The cache was not a moving cache or a locationless cache; it was a real, honest-to-goodness virtual cache with fixed coordinates. I was at the listed coordinates and gathered the required information while on the ship.

So it is possible!

I have actually done a real, legal geocache while on a cruise ship. The cache was not a moving cache or a locationless cache; it was a real, honest-to-goodness virtual cache with fixed coordinates. I was at the listed coordinates and gathered the required information while on the ship.

So it is possible!

Skagway Cliffs (GCG627), perhaps? :unsure:

I found it 3 weeks ago, but I had to walk one ship length because we didn't have the prime parking spot.

Edited by Urubu

I wish some were! I just got back from one and I'm kinda glad no caches are on the ship! Because I would be caching the whole time, and not enough of doing what I was supposed to be doing. Like eating all that I can.

However the ship did dock in Nassau, and I went looking for one. Caching in different countries is almost scary! It's just not like the caching in the US. In a lot of ways...

Is this where I point out that "tact" means "acute sensitivity to what is proper and appropriate in dealing with others, including the ability to speak or act without offending". The word JohnX was likely looking for is "tack", one of the meanings which is "a course of action meant to minimize opposition to the attainment of a goal".

It is evident that I am lacking tact when pointing out that tack would be a better word. Or maybe I am just trying to get the topic back on track -- tack being a nautical word when used to mean "the position of a vessel relative to the trim of its sails" -- and weren't we talking about cruises? :unsure:

Hey OzGuff,

I used the word "tact" instead of "tack" to imply mtn-man, in his position as a moderator, could have posted a more tactful reply. You will notice that two previous posters who mentioned grammatical errors made in this thread only said it bothered them, and did not quote, or call to task, the person who made the error.

mtn-man then comments that correcting people's use of language on the Internet is seen as improper and makes them look snooty. He then quotes, and directly addresses the person who raised the "moot/mute" issue because of a typing error, doing exactly what he claims is bad form.

I read mtn-man's post as a hypocritical and "snooty" attack that was not worthy of a moderator, and I chose to compose a carefully worded response to suggest that.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to explain my choice of words and express the true intent of my post.

JohnX

The thread was getting back on topic quite nicely. Dissection of grammar and spelling is done. Those interested in dissecting grammar and spelling may open a thread in the off topic forum. Dissection of moderator's handling of grammar dissection is done. Those interested in dissecting the moderator's handling of grammar dissection may write to Groundspeak as instructed in the forum guidelines. Thank you.

GCKEBC, Heisenberg's Cache is located on an inland car ferry:

A cache which gives real life example of the weird world of the quantum physics.

When we take a deeper look at physics, especially when we start looking particles from very very close range, at quantum level, strange things start to happen which seem to defy the laws of physics.

This cache describes and demonstrates one of those phenomena.

When you try to accurately check where a particle is, you cannot measure it's exact speed. And vise versa, when you measure particles exact speed, you cannot know exactly where it is. So, the cache is in either N62°43.326' E27°45.414' or N62°43.222' E27°45.816' or it has a velocity, but no exact place. It can also be found during the winter.

The authorities working on the spot know about the cache so there's no need to use stealth if and when they are watching.

Cool description IMHO

It has been my understanding that Russia is not real cache friendly. They have a total of 35 caches.

I know of several state counties that have more than that. heck, some parks have more.

Russia has their own site, Geocaching.ru, and they have plenty of caches listed there.

I am sure some of them can be accessed from cruising on the river.

Here are the caches just around the Moscow area:

e3bd6584-6c43-49bb-b1f2-0b0e765358ad.jpg

For what is's worth, there is currently what might be deemed a log only micro cache aboard the cruise ship Diamond Princess. While the ship's movement negates any lat/lon for the cache, its location is easily describable to within 15 feet. It is in plain sight from even a fair distance away and is easily reachable to anyone on the ship. The container and placement make it look like it belongs right where it is and that it is exactly what it is disguised as.

Once I figure out how to report the placement, i.e. lat/lon, I'll do so.

OH - and finding a GPS up in Russia would of been fairly difficult -

I vant to use yur russian sattelites to find your treasures!! ya ha ha .....

crunchberry being carted off to the Gulag...... :laughing:

It's pretty much US technology. All the way around.

dont the russians have their own "gps"? like us europeans will get "galileo"? if this ever will come true and the US-forces are not going to shoot down "our" satellites"?

Hi Mush'tang; I agr'ee. I have latel'y seen a bit of decreease in like, you know, usage skill's of the like, you knowe, Inglish Linguige on this' and other forum's on the Intirnit. One of my favorite's is Inappropriate Capitalization!

:D:D:D:D