Explorist 600 Geocache Data Cant Be Read Problem

I did a few searches on here and came up empty on why it is doing this and I really do not want to call India and not understand what tech support is telling me.

The problem is that I downloaded my waypoint files using pocket queries with 500 items in there. Imported them into gsak. Then created the file for all those waypoints in gsak to import them into my magellan. Everything went smooth then I went to load the file and it comes up with " Some Geocache data can't be read due to size limitation " So I go through my listing on my 600 and notice it has dropped quite a few geocaches. I read on here it had to due with the size of the SD card in which I have a 1 gig card with plenty of space on it. It is no where close to maximum. I also did another test with a differnt group of 419 waypoint and gave me the same message. Is there a workaround to fix this?

Storm180

I did a few searches on here and came up empty on why it is doing this and I really do not want to call India and not understand what tech support is telling me.

The problem is that I downloaded my waypoint files using pocket queries with 500 items in there. Imported them into gsak. Then created the file for all those waypoints in gsak to import them into my magellan. Everything went smooth then I went to load the file and it comes up with " Some Geocache data can't be read due to size limitation " So I go through my listing on my 600 and notice it has dropped quite a few geocaches. I read on here it had to due with the size of the SD card in which I have a 1 gig card with plenty of space on it. It is no where close to maximum. I also did another test with a differnt group of 419 waypoint and gave me the same message. Is there a workaround to fix this?

Storm180

The issue is that these "POI" files will only load the first 200 items. The good news is that you can load as many POI files as you want... So the workaround is to divide the caches into 200 item chunks. There's a macro available for GSAK that does just this, so it's a one step process with GSAK. You can sort alphabetically or by location...

It's kind of annoying, but the workaround is simple enough. More annoying is that the hint field gets truncated at 50 characters, even though all the data is there on the card...

We can handle that one here.

The size limitation is not your SD card, it's the firmware design for geocache POI files on the Explorist.

1. You can have 500 POIs in a regular POI file, but only 200 of those will be able to contain comments. (This isn't your problem, but an attempt to alert you to another limitation you may encounter).

2. You can only have 200 POIs in a geocache POI file (this is the limitation you are running into).

If you are using GSAK, there is a macro or two in the GSAK macro library to help get around the limitation. I have written a macro that sorts my 800+ cache database into saved filters on different center points that are limited to less than 200 waypoints for each filter. The macro draws each filter up in turn and it over as a file to my Explorist. It then brings up the next filter and repeats the send. I can thus send all 800 waypoints over to my Explorist in 5 separate files...all with a single click. It takes a little work to set up, but it pays off every week when I update my database.

Edited by embra

I will have to check into the gsak macro library and try it out. That is a real bummer that there is that limitation in the firmware since all the information is actually stored on the SD card. I will give a try to that macro later today and see how it works out.

Just have to figure out where to set the center points so I can section off my geocache locations by side of town or something like that.

Storm180