Travel Bug War!

Eric K

After seeing this webpage.

http://www.geocachearmy.com/ (Turn speakers off if you are at work, website has audio)

I thought it could be fun to take that idea and expand on it.

I have the ability to set up a small website.

I think it would be fun to create two armies and have them try to complete certain missions, rescue other soldiers, capture the flag, etc. etc.

If anyone is interested and have any ideas/suggestions please post them in this thread. I would also like a few folks that would be able to help with updates and missions.

Thanks

Eric K

I think this is a great idea. I think it should be limited to North America (at least to start, or else they might be spread too thinly; maybe someone could use this model to start a game in other places).

What would the teams be? East vs. West pops into mind first, but North vs. South could be cool, too. They should be color-coded, I think. You would probably have to buy TBs in bulk.

I would start by deploying a bunch of soldiers to the proper locations and stick a "flag" in a centralized cache. Whichever gets to that cache first wins. Afterwords, you could post a variety of missions for the soldiers to accomplish based on the positions of other soldiers (for example, several soldiers in a cache could be POWs that need rescuing). You could either act as a general and assign missions or just let people choose which one they want a soldier to pursue.

I think your idea is really cool and I'd love to help out if I can. I hope my suggestions are useful, too.

I think this is a great idea. I think it should be limited to North America (at least to start, or else they might be spread too thinly; maybe someone could use this model to start a game in other places).

What would the teams be? East vs. West pops into mind first, but North vs. South could be cool, too. They should be color-coded, I think. You would probably have to buy TBs in bulk.

I would start by deploying a bunch of soldiers to the proper locations and stick a "flag" in a centralized cache. Whichever gets to that cache first wins. Afterwords, you could post a variety of missions for the soldiers to accomplish based on the positions of other soldiers (for example, several soldiers in a cache could be POWs that need rescuing). You could either act as a general and assign missions or just let people choose which one they want a soldier to pursue.

I think your idea is really cool and I'd love to help out if I can. I hope my suggestions are useful, too.

Not sure on any details yet. I found a site where I can get 50 green army men and 50 tan army men for $2.99 each.

My thought is it will be more fun to have several missions. Maybe things like.

First team to get a player in cache X receives 1 point.

Army man X is in Cache X. If a team mate rescues him first that team gets 1 point. If the other team gets him first they get 1 point.

Army man X is stuck in a 5/5 cache. Rescue team needs to free him. 1 point.

That is the kind of stuff I'm thinking of. Maybe the first team to get 50 or 100 points wins.

I would like to get enough people involved that the soldiers could start off in all areas of the country. I agree the US would be easier but I wouldn't limit it to the US only.

Eric K

I'm also thinking if we can get enough players involved they can just buy a few Travelbugs for the men they will receive.

I would also like to know if there is anyone out there that is pretty web page savvy.

I could set up a site for hosting. I have some web page knowledge but unfortunately don't have much free time.

This is a cool idea, and has lots of potential. I've been involved in a "New England Capture the Flag" travel bug game that involved North vs. South in New England being on teams much as what you describe. The game was lots of fun but also involved a fair number of problems. I seem to recall that there was a similar game being played in the NYC vicinity with NY vs. NJ.

The game came to an end after a few months, just as some of the problems with the game as devised were becoming generally apparent. After much discussion with many participants with the game's organizer, cache_test_dummies, it was decided to not continue the game, as it was generating nearly as much ill will as good will. Personally, I don't know if I would participate in such a game again. (That said, I met *many* new geocaching friends, on both sides, due to this game, and did enjoy the game!)

In any case, the web site from the New England Capture the Flag game is still online: New England Capture the Flag Contest Page. There are still quite a few of the TBs from the game traveling about, for example our "Antietam Remembered" TB.

If you're interested in reading about some of the problems / possible solutions / difficulties, you can visit the Capture the Flag - New England discussion thread.

Happy Caching!

This is a cool idea, and has lots of potential. I've been involved in a "New England Capture the Flag" travel bug game that involved North vs. South in New England being on teams much as what you describe. The game was lots of fun but also involved a fair number of problems. I seem to recall that there was a similar game being played in the NYC vicinity with NY vs. NJ.

The game came to an end after a few months, just as some of the problems with the game as devised were becoming generally apparent. After much discussion with many participants with the game's organizer, cache_test_dummies, it was decided to not continue the game, as it was generating nearly as much ill will as good will. Personally, I don't know if I would participate in such a game again. (That said, I met *many* new geocaching friends, on both sides, due to this game, and did enjoy the game!)

In any case, the web site from the New England Capture the Flag game is still online: New England Capture the Flag Contest Page. There are still quite a few of the TBs from the game traveling about, for example our "Antietam Remembered" TB.

If you're interested in reading about some of the problems / possible solutions / difficulties, you can visit the Capture the Flag - New England discussion thread.

Happy Caching!

Looks like a lot to read through. :-)

Just a few comments.

1. This will be open to anybody so anyone can actually move the soldiers.

2. What were the main problems you guys encountered so I can try to avoid them.

I don't want this game to be to serious. Just want anyone involved to have fun.

I would like to say get about 20 "Generals" that could then each release their 5 soldier armies using their home cache as an HQ.

(NOTE: There will still only be two sides, The Green Army and the Tan Army)

So on that note I'll put myself down for one army of 5.

Just a few comments...

1. This will be open to anybody so anyone can actually move the soldiers.

2. What were the main problems you guys encountered so I can try to avoid them.

Eric,

After reading your ideas again, I see that I may have initially misunderstood what you were proposing.

The NECTF game featured two different regions of cachers (North vs. South) competing against one another. The TBs were just the pieces in the game. The teams were really cachers. If your game has only fictitious teams (green army against tan army) without any cachers "taking sides" with a particular team, then it can avoid some of the troubles with the NECTF game. If your game includes cachers "taking sides" with a particular team, then it is likely to run into trouble unless all the cachers involved know each other extremely well and value their relationships more than winning.

I don't want this game to be to serious. Just want anyone involved to have fun.
The above is a very important thing to remember. One of the core problems encountered on NECTF is that different people have different perspectives on "serious vs. fun!" What might be "just fun" for one person may be "too serious" for somebody else. On the flip side, somebody who is trying to "just have fun" can really offend (even unintentionally) a more serious player of the game. It is really hard to resolve such issues via forums, email discussions, and even phone calls.

As an example of this, a "serious player" might be inspired to drive a long round trip through the night (say 250 miles one way) for no reason other than to pick up a TB at a cache. Let's say that the serious player arrives at the cache to find that a "just for fun" player had picked up the TB a day before but being a "just for fun" player, hadn't realized the importance of logging the TB promptly, and the TB had already been picked up. Unless these two players know each other well and have a good relationship already, this situation is a recipe for disaster!

Assuming that your game has some sort of rules, the "serious players" will follow the rules and expect others to do the same. The "just for fun" players may knowingly or unknowingly skirt some of the rules and end up ticking off other serious players on one team or the other, depending upon what happened. About the only way to avoid this is to have a game where everybody really doesn't care who wins. However, the problem with that idea is that if nobody really cares who wins, then will anybody even bother to play?

I talked with cache_test_dummies at length on a couple caching trips to try to come up with a set of rules that would permit the "capture the flag" game to have a "round 2" that would avoid the problems we encountered. We couldn't come up with solutions that addressed all the problems at once. Closing one loophole opened another. Examples of the kind of problems:

"late logging" of TBs leads to problems -- yet, coming up with a system to enforce / encourage "timely logging" raises new problems

one cacher just taking a TB from cache to cache to complete a mission and "hoarding" the TB -- there are various ways to avoid this, but the solutions all have problems too

coming up with rules that make officiating / tracking the game manageable

A summary of some of this can be found in post #781 of the NECTF discussion.

If you come up with something which is workable, I'd be interested in hearing about it.

Solid Rock Seekers:

Thanks for the heads up on what to look for. I 'hope' that basically what will happen is people will pick up a soldier or two and want to keep up with what is going on with the armies.

So I guess I'll post now that those of you that will be the 'Generals' if you are one of those that will take this to serious please feel free to let me know. I just want this to be fun and it's more of an experiment than a serious game.

I'm sure there will be all kinds of things to work out as we play.

I also want the Generals to be able to provide updates of their squad and help come up with missions that will change as the game moves along.

Eric K

P.S. It would also be nice if the Generals can be from different areas of the country (not required though). I'm from Ohio.

Edited by Eric K

I know things haven't been fully settled yet, but were you thinking of two armies or several? Can players join with only one TB?

Two armies. There will be a Green Army and a Tan Army. (Color subject to change)

The plan is to have 10 Generals each release 5 Soldiers.

Any geocacher will be able to play and help the soldiers/armies complete their missions.

OMG just what I needed another challenge to go with my countless other challenges I'm in the middle of ... but this could be fun!!!!! :laughing: Hey your local Dollar store should have plenty of guys to add to the mission!!!!

Edited by sunkat

Thanks for the interest. I think once it gets started more people will watch and play. I don't think to many people visit the TB forums since the Geocoin forums were created.

I would like to know which of you would like to be Generals and receive 5 soldiers to place in a cache local to you (preferably your own cache) to have it serve as a HQ.

I have my home cache located in Ohio.

I see several of you replied above but I'm not sure if you wanted to be Generals.

Eric

Thanks for the interest. I think once it gets started more people will watch and play. I don't think to many people visit the TB forums since the Geocoin forums were created.

I would like to know which of you would like to be Generals and receive 5 soldiers to place in a cache local to you (preferably your own cache) to have it serve as a HQ.

I have my home cache located in Ohio.

I see several of you replied above but I'm not sure if you wanted to be Generals.

Eric

Well, I will have to be an observer and help out when I can. I don't have the resources right this minute to fund 5 TBs, nor do I have any of my own caches yet.

Maybe after recovering from all the geocaching startup costs (GPSr, hiking stick, geonickel supplies, etc) and my vacation to Texas this weekend, I will be able to jump in.

I will be eagerly watching as the game progresses though! Good luck!

Too bad caches aren't big enough to hold platoons! Could hook a whole army to one bug! Darn, three stores and all they have are Red Rescue guys :blink: will have to keep searching till I get some troops.

sunkat

Sunkat:

I will supply the armies. Will just need people to place them. I want them to be uniform.

Thanks

Eric

Too bad caches aren't big enough to hold platoons! Could hook a whole army to one bug! Darn, three stores and all they have are Red Rescue guys :blink: will have to keep searching till I get some troops.

sunkat

Sunkat:

I will supply the armies. Will just need people to place them. I want them to be uniform.

Thanks

Eric

Just to clarify - will the generals need to supply 5 TB tags of their own? Or do those come with the army men?

I don't currently have a spare 5 tb tags, but if you're supplying them, I could certainly start a set off from here in SW Indiana (we're just across the Ohio from Kentucky, and less than 5 miles from Illinois, so hopefully they'd hit a few states quickly). However, I completely understand if you need the generals to buy their own set of 5 TB tags - buying them all yourself would get $$.

Beffums and I can not be on the same team as we live close enough to do battle :blink:

sunkat

Sunkat:

Thanks

Eric

Just to clarify - will the generals need to supply 5 TB tags of their own? Or do those come with the army men?

I don't currently have a spare 5 tb tags, but if you're supplying them, I could certainly start a set off from here in SW Indiana (we're just across the Ohio from Kentucky, and less than 5 miles from Illinois, so hopefully they'd hit a few states quickly). However, I completely understand if you need the generals to buy their own set of 5 TB tags - buying them all yourself would get $$.

I know things haven't been fully settled yet, but were you thinking of two armies or several? Can players join with only one TB?

Two armies. There will be a Green Army and a Tan Army. (Color subject to change)

The plan is to have 10 Generals each release 5 Soldiers.

Any geocacher will be able to play and help the soldiers/armies complete their missions.

Maybe I could join the fight with one soldier to represent a guard or reserve unit getting called to duty!

sunkat

Sunkat:

Thanks

Eric

Yes, each general would have to supply their own 5 tags. My budget wouldn't allow me to buy 100 tags. :-)

Well, I woudn't mind drafting other cachers to fill out my army but I can't fork out five TB myself. :blink:

ditto here.

I think 5 cent wins for the Indiana/Illinois border area. :blink:

I have an extra bug....I can help fill out your five.

Edited by nursenine

Well, I woudn't mind drafting other cachers to fill out my army but I can't fork out five TB myself. :blink:

ditto here.

I think 5 cent wins for the Indiana/Illinois border area. :blink:

I have an extra bug....I can help fill out your five.

So do I! Nursenine and I live near the Indiana/Ohio border and she has her own caches.

I am still gas broke from the event of ECO I went to. :blink: No in all seriousness, I am most likely going to be with BlueDeuce if I can.

ditto here.

I think 5 cent wins for the Indiana/Illinois border area. :tired:

Hmm, how about we do this.

Let me know how many each of you think you would be able to attach Travel Bugs to.

May have to start small and maybe send out reinforcements later.

I will still go with 5 for myself.

Definitely one, possibly two.

Okay, I can probably kick out two.

If we can define the rules a bit more I can probably recruit a few locals.

If the starting proximities are too close I have no doubt someone in another region could start them for us.

Oh by the way, dibs on the name The Continental Army (The Patriots)

Okay, I can probably kick out two.

If we can define the rules a bit more I can probably recruit a few locals.

If the starting proximities are too close I have no doubt someone in another region could start them for us.

Oh by the way, dibs on the name The Continental Army (The Patriots)

Still in the early stages of planning this. I'll actually be on vacation next week so maybe by early August we can get things going. Here are some examples I thought of that can be done. I want it to not just be us here involved but once someone else picks up a soldier TB they can see what it's mission is and try to help it along towards it's goals. I also figure those goal will change time to time as the 'war' progresses.

Mission ideas:

1. Capture enemy HQ.

a. Have more of your team than the enemies in enemy base cache (5 points)

2. Recapture your HQ.

a. Have more of your team than the enemies in your base cache after it’s been captured (5 points)

3. Rescue a team mate.

a. Retrieve a team mate from a 3/3 and up cache (1 point)

4. Capture an enemy.

a. Enter a cache with an enemy in it (1 point)

5. Escape

a. Leave a cache after being captured by enemy (1 points)

6. Random mission completion (3 points)

a. Periodically new missions will be posted

i. Examples:

1. Blow up a bridge (Enter a designated cache near a bridge)

2. Develop Weapons (Enter a designated cache near a science center)

3. Diplomacy (Enter a designated cache near a government office)

4. Fighter training (Must travel by plane)

5. Tank brigade training (Have picture taken a Jeep/Hummer etc)

6. Recruit allies (Make a trip overseas)

These are just some ideas. I think we’ll have to play it out and see how it goes.

Bump:

Still looking for interested players. I see that 5 bugs may be a bit of a large expense. If you can do fewer that could work also.

I may be able to have USA Geocoins supply some of the Travelbugs, still working on how to work out that angle though.

I can be a General and supply troops and 5 TB. Im only going to be in the lower states unitl mid. oct. though then im off to Alaska. I have alot of tan and green soldiers already.

My Ideas.

1. 3-4 troops on some tags to be squads.

2. Specialized troops also like a Rambo character, Sniper team(2 troops). etc etc

Edited by deathtakeslast

Erik, Can you work out a deal with Groundspeak for a large quantity of TB's for better discounted price than the $4.25, once you determine how many are needed? If so, then you could set up a PayPal account, invoice each player for the number of TB he/she has made a commitment for. Once the TB and Army figurines have come in, ship each one to the General’s in that area with a list of the players and they can distribute the soldiers to the players. Would that help reduce the cost and get the game going? Just a Thought!! It may be more work than you planned……

Howdy......

I have noticed that most who have replied are from the central,east and some southern states. I am from 'out west' (Lakeside,eastern San Diego County, California) How would someone from 'way out here...' be able to get involved?

At this time I have three (3) T.B.'s.... I can get more......

Please advise...

Vern... :lol:

Edited by Foothills Drifter
Bump:

Still looking for interested players. I see that 5 bugs may be a bit of a large expense. If you can do fewer that could work also.

I may be able to have USA Geocoins supply some of the Travelbugs, still working on how to work out that angle though.

I'm in but I only have like 2 spare tags so maybe two or three per tag? I can have five men though but can there be two generals for the same 5 men?

Howdy......

I have noticed that most who have replied are from the central,east and some southern states. I am from 'out west' (Lakeside,eastern San Diego County, California) How would someone from 'way out here...' be able to get involved?

At this time I have three (3) T.B.'s.... I can get more......

Please advise...

Vern... :D

Looking forward to you setting up a California based HQ.

I'm on vacation until next week. I'll try to get the ball rolling once I return.

Thanks

Eric K