Travel Bug Prison In Nw Atlanta

ParrotRobAndCeCe

Someone stuck my TB in this TB prison near Marietta. I'm afraid it's going to get stuck there because of a stupid "take one, leave one" rule. If you're around those parts, I'd appreciate you helping the Lost Shaker of Salt escape from this prison!

Thanks!

Seventeen bugs in a cache with a one-for-one rule?? I can certainly see why you think it might be stuck there for a long time.

Someone stuck my TB in this TB prison near Marietta. I'm afraid it's going to get stuck there because of a stupid "take one, leave one" rule. If you're around those parts, I'd appreciate you helping the Lost Shaker of Salt escape from this prison!

Thanks!

Seventeen bugs in a cache with a one-for-one rule?? I can certainly see why you think it might be stuck there for a long time.

Exactly. I just did some more looking into that cache, and it would appear that 16 of the 17 bugs in there now were all picked up after a caching event in Georgia by "Team PEZ" and all 16 of them were dumped into this travel bug prison. I'm afraid some of them will be doing life sentences there. :D

Ahh, the down side to TB hotels and TB's that may be unappealing visually. Rules are made to be broken though. Post a note in the SE forum seeking a prison break, a thoughtful geocacher may help you out.

Otherwise, gas up the car, go to Expedia and find a cheap motel (for you, not your TB), make a weekend of it and go rescue all those TB's. You'll may risk irritating the cache owner, but you may be a hero to sixteen other geocachers.

What did Kirk say to Spock (or vice versa) in "The Wrath of Khan": "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one"?

I'm familiar with that little prison. I've checked on or rescued more than one bug from that place. I'll swing by and pick it up this week. Any requests on the type of cache you'd like it dropped back into? I can take him as far north as Indiana if you don't mind me sitting on it for a month.

play A-Team theme now.

Another potential take on this one would be to wait a few weeks and see what happens. My family maintained a cache we labelled a "TB Hotel" (is now archived over cachers concerns over its proximity to our condo complex ... made them feel like trespassers despite having condo board approval ... so we found a new home and removed the TB Hotel label). Anyway .... we never had that many TBs in our 'Hotel', but it did get visited pretty frequently.

I've seen folks who are into the TB trade swap out 4 - 5 - 6 or more TB's at a time. Looking at the logs of the TB 'Prison' in question here, it seemed to be visited very frequently with a lot of turnover before it went down for maintenance / repair.

Well .... my point is, the TBs were dropped on the 10th, just 3 days ago. Perhaps waiting a few weeks before setting up a rescue mission might be in order? :laughing::laughing: Just a thought. The OP posted his "Please Help" message after only 1 day of the bug drop. Isn't that being a little 'antsy'?

However, just so I don't seem like I'm against the OP, I would agree that it is a TB Prison if the 'seeded' TBs (seeding your own caches with TBs is OK in moderation IMHO .... but over a dozen? That's a little over the top) don't turn over quickly (within 3 to 4 weeks) with frequent visits from TB swappers. Then, a rescue mission for one or more of the TB's would be appropriate. It could even be done anonymously I suppose. When the rescue mission goes down, just don't 'retrieve' them ... just take them then place them in other caches to be 'grabbed' by others. However, PM the owners to tell them what happened. Perhaps not the 'generally accepted' way of doing things, but will keep the rescuer from being identified and flamed in the forums by the TB Hotel owner. :laughing::laughing:

Cheers,

Matt

(Western Mass Clan)

Perhaps not the 'generally accepted' way of doing things, but will keep the rescuer from being identified and flamed in the forums by the TB Hotel owner. :laughing::laughing:

I say if you're gonna do it, just do it on the up and up. If the owner complains just tell them.

If a travel bug hotel is in a good spot for the quick and easy exchange of travel bugs, then an empty hotel won't stay empty long. People are always looking for a convenient place to drop bugs off. The owner of a well-placed hotel should actually be pleased if the hotel is occasionally empty, since it shows that the hotel is serving its purpose: to get bugs moving quickly. And if a hotel does stay empty for long periods of time without the cache owner continually raiding other caches to re-stock it, then it's not a good place for a travel bug hotel.

I have no problem logging the grab and drop myself in place of someone else if the rescuer wishes to remain anonymous.

And as for WHERE to move it - I really don't care as long as it isn't trapped by a "take one, leave one" "rule", so I would be greatly appreciative to IGJoe if he manages to spring it for me, no matter where he puts it.

I have no problem logging the grab and drop myself in place of someone else if the rescuer wishes to remain anonymous.

And as for WHERE to move it - I really don't care as long as it isn't trapped by a "take one, leave one" "rule", so I would be greatly appreciative to IGJoe if he manages to spring it for me, no matter where he puts it.

It is written and so it shall be done.

BA, Faceman, Murdock .... you have your assignments. We roll at oh nine nundred. :laughing:

What would be a REAL tragedy is if some highway traveler took this bug on his way north and didn't take a 'lost shaker of salt' to visit the Buffet themed restaurant/bar Cheeseburger in Paradise here in the ATL. Gotcha covered buddy, gotcha covered. :laughing:

: <_<<_<:mad::o:D:D

:P:D:D:D:DB):P

I feel so bad for the owner. I can't help since I live like 3000 miles away on the other side of the U.S. So free those travel bugsx and don't log your visit. Send them somewhere besides a motel/prison.

Sneak them out. May the GPs be with you Geocacher. Use stealth :D and cunning B)

I also have a bug in the motel and was concerned when I saw the cache was disabled, but it is up and running and this is a fairly active motel, so I hope that all of the ones currently in there will be moved along soon. I guess if there is a prison break, The Kid's Pony wouldn't mind being in on it. I was hoping it would get to CO in a few weeks, but I intended to release it earlier so this may not be feasible at this point, still would like to get it to some other states and maybe we can meet it out there on a later trip to CO.

I did want to give some input on the number of bugs put in there recently - I was at the event when the cache owner was leaving and we had a whole bunch of TB's left at a TB swap, so he volunteered to take them up to his neck of the woods to release them. It sounds like a very nice cache where he put them. However, I do have concerns that the take 1 leave 1 rule does tend to keep bugs from traveling. Will be interested to see what happens.

~~Play A-team music

In 1972 a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have an imprisoned Travel Bug, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the A-Team.

Operation 'Sea Salt Run' was a success. 'Lost Shaker of Salt' has been freed. Full operation briefing and visual record to be added to the TB's page soon.

Hootunes, DeathTakesLast

The resue chopper may not have been big enough for all three to bugs to escape on this trip but the truth is I didn't see your requests until it was too late. I can swing back by on Monday and bust them out if they're still there. :)

I also have a bug in the motel and was concerned when I saw the cache was disabled, but it is up and running and this is a fairly active motel, so I hope that all of the ones currently in there will be moved along soon. I guess if there is a prison break, The Kid's Pony wouldn't mind being in on it. I was hoping it would get to CO in a few weeks, but I intended to release it earlier so this may not be feasible at this point, still would like to get it to some other states and maybe we can meet it out there on a later trip to CO.

I was trying to talk my brother into springing the Kid's Pony out, so we could have it visit some horses out west. Sounded like a fun one to haul around and send around with another cacher I know.

Ribbits. Brother does not have a GPS though he has said he may get one. Soon brother soon! LOL.

I also have a bug in the motel and was concerned when I saw the cache was disabled, but it is up and running and this is

Oh.. re: Kids Pony. Aurora CO is one place I had in mind .. so if it makes it to Denver area.. hmm.. maybe I should put this one on watch, jic. Let the Pumpkinpony take it for a spin!

From the Laughingcat in West Texas with some handy horses near by and a ready camera

I was trying to talk my brother into springing the Kid's Pony out, so we could have it visit some horses out west. Sounded like a fun one to haul around and send around with another cacher I know.

Ribbits. Brother does not have a GPS though he has said he may get one. Soon brother soon! LOL.

That would be awesome if you could do it. If it somehow makes it to the Western Slope I think I will give it a new mission after I grab it.

That would be awesome if you could do it. If it somehow makes it to the Western Slope I think I will give it a new mission after I grab it.

little bro moped about no gps and did not listen when I told him none was needed for this heist. boo hiss.

but the pony's running free again I see.. so.. all's well that ends well!

Here is another cache that appears to be an unsecure "travel bug hotel" with trading restrictions inposed by the cache owner. The cache owner started this cache with 17 travel bugs and wants to have 25 travel bugs in this cache. What are your opinions about this geocache?

Even if the cache is a very secure cache (and I don't feel that this one is, even though I haven't visited the area), having a large number of travel bugs in a single cache presents a great risk of multiple travel bug losses should the cache be muggled.

If I visited this cache, I would disregard the trading restrictions and take all of the travel bugs in it. I feel that I would be fully justified doing this, because I would move all of these travel bugs to a variety of different caches. Last weekend, in Yavapai and Gila counties in Arizona, I moved 25 travel bugs to 25 different caches. (I picked up 10 of those travel bugs from a cache on residential property in Tempe, a cache now temporarily disabled because the cache owner is moving from the property).

Personally, this is an example of the type of cache that should not be approved. What do others think about this?

Ken Akerman (a.k.a. Highpointer)