Meades Ranch Geodetic Center Benchmark Coins

Rattlingcrew

Actually, service was pretty fast, it just seemed like forever! The coin reflects the actual benchmark set in 1891, it was reset in 1948. The back of the benchmark has the Kansas State Seal and a brief history of the benchmark. I ordered 500 antique brass coins, but the box had broken open and seven coins were lost in shipping. Some lucky postal workers are probably carrying one in their pockets. Maybe we will get a new cacher out of my loss.

Quickly, I will describe the history, because I love history. The mark was set in 1891 when the US Geodetic Coastal came through Kansas. They left behind a string of chiseled crosses, chiseled squares, and huge 36" square limestone markers. This particular mark was a standard brass disc. It was set on the Meades Ranch in the middle of a huge pasture, on a ridge, with nothing but grass, cattle, cattle by-products and wildlife for miles. In 1901 the United States adopted it as the geodetic datum center, the mark from which all US surveys were to be based off of. In 1913 Canada and Mexico adopted it as well.

Roughly a third of the world's land mass was surveyed or the surveys are referenced to this brass disc in a Kansas pasture. It is an odd bit of survey history, how and why they selected a ridge on the high plains of Kansas for the geodetic center is beyond me.

The coins should have the tracking numbers and activation codes in the coin sleeve. If not, please refer any requests to me as I have the codes. I'll let the ones that track production numbers and activation code requests grab their information off of this post.

I did not post this in an attempt to sell the coins or to start any bickering on whether a survey marker is related to geocaching. They obviously are trackable on the website. Thanks, Glen

f6565b79-3142-4ea1-98db-5cca7a028041.jpg

I apologize in advance for the poor quality of the photos. The coins are nicely finished and reflect a lot of light in every direction. Here is the back of the coin. Glen

122f3fed-9f55-45bf-9288-a72af2c21dfb.jpg

I love benchmark coins, and more details would be wonderful (like, what diameter it is, how to order/trade etc.). Both the front and back look great. I prefer more accurate renderings of the benchmark, but this one is a lot closer to the actual benchmark than some are, but there are some lines of text missing, which makes this look a but less like a real benchmark. Still, I'm very interested in getting one. :D

cec26b15-f3d5-4349-bf32-3d1d3f216b5c.jpg

Doing a google search, I found someone who made meades ranch benchmark replica earrings. Too funny.

MeadesPWPNZP.jpg

From what I could tell, the bigger benchmark replica is a paperweight. Assuming the earrings are 1" diameter, it must be close to 4" diameter. Nobody has minted a geocoin that big yet! :D

--Marky

I love benchmark coins, and more details would be wonderful (like, what diameter it is, how to order/trade etc.). Both the front and back look great. I prefer more accurate renderings of the benchmark, but this one is a lot closer to the actual benchmark than some are, but there are some lines of text missing, which makes this look a but less like a real benchmark. Still, I'm very interested in getting one. :D

--Marky

I believe the benchmark coin is a copy of the original not the reset. The original did not have the information about the "fine or imprisonment". The picture in your post is the reset benchmark.

I was told that while visiting the benchmark last year. If the information I was given is wrong someone please correct me.

I believe the benchmark coin is a copy of the original not the reset. The original did not have the information about the "fine or imprisonment". The picture in your post is the reset benchmark.

I was told that while visiting the benchmark last year. If the information I was given is wrong someone please correct me.

You are probably right and I am probably wrong. If anyone has a picture of the original benchmark, that would be cool to see.

--Marky

You are probably right and I am probably wrong. If anyone has a picture of the original benchmark, that would be cool to see.

--Marky

I talked to RattlingCrew and he has a picture of the original. He is on a short trip but will post it when he gets back. The original is in a museum near the Meades Ranch.

I talked to RattlingCrew and he has a picture of the original. He is on a short trip but will post it when he gets back. The original is in a museum near the Meades Ranch.

That definitely makes the geocoin even cooler. I wonder when the current wording with the fine on it were started to be used. I found a 1905 benchmark that hadn't been reset, and it had the fine wording on it.

--Marky

eed02356-1af5-4543-aefd-e375090f96a3.jpg

Okay, I see that my trip to Missouri has put me way behind on this thread! :laughing:

I just rolled in from driving 700 miles today, not a stop to cache, I am sure I drove by many excellent caches though! There are some really cool and inventive hides in the Kansas City area that I have been wanting to do.....

Like I originally posted, this was not meant to be a selling thread, just an introductory one. I have sold about 80, and have another 40 or so spoken for. I would like to make sure I have my previous promises covered before I start a mass sale of these. I have several more that I shared the artwork with and promised coins to if they liked the final product, that is where prntr1n got in. We worked out what I hope was an equitable trade for a set of gold Civil War coins, I was happy and I hope he was too. He told me he would like at least a pair about three months ago. In the current geocoin market, I was not sure how they would sell.

They really turned out very nice, a lot glossier than I expected, I ordered antique brass, hoping it would look a little like an old benchmark, which it does, only a highly polished one. :laughing: I like them though and have released a few in caches and sent a few out with friends to be released unactivated.

I see I have a few personal messages stacked up and a few EBAY sales to get packed, not only a pair of these but some other coins too.

In the really odd chance that somebody found a coin in a cache without and activation code, I posted this thread so somebody could tell them where to obtain the codes.

I have a few other things going on right now, as everybody does. Dad's sump pump failed during a recent heavy rain and we have a flood problem to clean up. I was blessed with 18 subpoenas this week, I fear sleep will be a precious commodity, between working nights and having court during the days.

I'll try to post a thread offering them for sale as soon as I know for sure where I stand on them. I am sure that EBAY will not be your only opportunity to buy these.

Thanks for all the interest, I never imagined it would be this high. Now to start weeding through 147 emails..... :laughing: Glen

I love benchmark coins, and more details would be wonderful (like, what diameter it is, how to order/trade etc.). Both the front and back look great. I prefer more accurate renderings of the benchmark, but this one is a lot closer to the actual benchmark than some are, but there are some lines of text missing, which makes this look a but less like a real benchmark. Still, I'm very interested in getting one. :laughing:

cec26b15-f3d5-4349-bf32-3d1d3f216b5c.jpg

Doing a google search, I found someone who made meades ranch benchmark replica earrings. Too funny.

MeadesPWPNZP.jpg

From what I could tell, the bigger benchmark replica is a paperweight. Assuming the earrings are 1" diameter, it must be close to 4" diameter. Nobody has minted a geocoin that big yet! :laughing:

--Marky

Glad to see my image of the mark show up.

I just got back from there.

Thanks MARKY.

The coins are great.

Now everyone see's the fun in it.

That mark was touched in 1891 although reset it is still a mecca to me and many other benchmark hunters.

Look forward to some more cool benchmarks.

There are a lot of neat old ones out there.

Edited by GEO*Trailblazer 1

Look forward to some more cool benchmarks.

There are a lot of neat old ones out there.

Yeah, you and me both! We have the all of the Kirkland benchmark series geocoins, and the first in the benchmark geocoin and pin club. We also made a bunch of benchmark geopins, after seeing how cool the Mt Whitney geopin looked. We leave them all over the place here. :laughing: Looking forward to the opportunity to buy or trade for this one and future ones.

--Marky

We have the all of the Kirkland benchmark series geocoins, and the first in the benchmark geocoin and pin club.

--Marky

I'd sure like to get the Kirkland series. :tired: Are they still available? :blink:

Also do you have a link for the Club? :blink:

Thanks

If the benchmark coin and pin club that Marky's talking about is the one that started

with the Lewis & Clark BM ( trackable AND non-trackable ) then I don't believe that it is

open for general "joining" yet but pretty soon ( I could be wrong here, it may be already open ).

Just checked my e-mail, hogwildstuff.org has the benchmark club and joining doesn't appear to be open to the public quite yet. It appears as if they have sold out of the trackable Lewis & Clark BM coin.

They will be producing one benchmark coin ( a trackable version and a non-trackable version ) every two months. You will be able to do the normal thing and specify how many of each coin you want, etc..

Are the Kirkland coins the ones that have the geographical center of North America, of Australia, Four Corners, etc.? I'm starting to lose track of BM coins !

Edited by nicolo

We have the all of the Kirkland benchmark series geocoins, and the first in the benchmark geocoin and pin club.

--Marky

I'd sure like to get the Kirkland series. :blink: Are they still available? :tired:

Also do you have a link for the Club? :blink:

Thanks

If the benchmark coin and pin club that Marky's talking about is the one that started

with the Lewis & Clark BM ( trackable AND non-trackable ) then I don't believe that it is

open for general "joining" yet but pretty soon ( I could be wrong here, it may be already open ).

Just checked my e-mail, hogwildstuff.org has the benchmark club and joining doesn't appear to be open to the public quite yet. It appears as if they have sold out of the trackable Lewis & Clark BM coin.

They will be producing one benchmark coin ( a trackable version and a non-trackable version ) every two months. You will be able to do the normal thing and specify how many of each coin you want, etc..

Are the Kirkland coins the ones that have the geographical center of North America, of Australia, Four Corners, etc.? I'm starting to lose track of BM coins !

Thanks for the info. I don't know where I was when benchmark coins came out. I just recently found them.

And you know... :blink: I ordered the trackable and non-trackable benchmark coin from HogsWildStuff. I just couldn't remember from who and couldn't find the confirmation email in my mass of email folders! :ph34r: And I did ask about the benchmark coin group. Once again I didn't know it was one of the same.

I do have several 2" Benchmarks,

Benchmark - Australia

Benchmark - Four Corners USA

Benchmark - Kealakekua Bay, Hawaii

Benchmark - Lewis & Clark

Benchmark - Mt Rushmore National Memorial

Benchmark - Pyramids of Giza

Benchmark - The Golden Spike (Promontory)

Didn't know that they were the Kirkland ones. Do you know how many were put out and who made them?

Happy coin collecting!

Whew a lot flew.

I think the 1st Benchmark(trackable) coin was done by GCC.

I went to a great deal of agony to get that one.

And I did reach my goal of 1000+ benchmarks.

I think that Kirkland did the benchmarks mentioned but they are non trackable.

I have almost all of those.

Now the rest of the history is mixed.

I think that when a few figured benchmarks were cool and collectibles we all thought about our own "BENCHMARKS".

I think we did the first club or try at organizing a group of people who like them to.

I think some still do not realise the "VALUE" of geocoins.

Not necessarily monetary but collectibles.

As far as the Meades Ranch Reset it is (or appears to me)to be the original just a reset of the original

benchmark is what is present this date.

It was probably knocked loose and the owner contacted the Surveyors theyreset the original in the same location.

The stamping is older than any I have witnessed to date and I have seen 100's.

I think the benchmark club is for those original people who signed up.

It is all new and I will not go into particulars until more is known.

I hope I covered it all or most of it.

28030_100.jpg

Not being present for the resetting of these, I do not know for sure what mark was set originally. This is the oldest dated mark I have found, a brass disk anyway. It is in the school yard in Ellsworth Kansas. It is set in a marble slab, just like the description said it should be.

28030_300.jpg

It also has the ring of cement around the mark and the warning for damage. Is it the original 1885 benchmark? The description lists it as a reset. Thousands of kids have played on this one, it is in the middle of their playground at school.

42232_200.jpg

This is another area marker, this one is Loder reset. It does not list when reset, but in 1937 it was listed as a reset and not the original marble post, listed in 1899. The original mark has obviously been adultered.

28612_200.jpg Is a close photo of the Loder Benchmark. It obviously is not the original mark and does not say reset on it either. The museum may be wrong, which would make me wrong.

Like I said, all of this happened long before I was around and I was not there. It does appear though that a lot of marble and imported rocks were used for making benchmark settings. We have no Marble around this part of the world, you have to haul it in.

Personally, I would like to believe that the original Meades Benchmark is still upon that ridge and that it was just reset. I love history and the odd benchmarks, which led to making this coin. I frequently surf across Kansas through the benchmark site, looking for odd marks. It is a sick addiction of sorts. Glen

I think I am ready to start selling some of these. I do not have a web site to sell them through, so contact me through my profile and I will get with you. Thanks, Glen

e-mail sent, thanks. You may want to post how much you're selling them for so you won't get bothered by a bunch of "how much"'s

Thanks

Just paid for two, yee haa!

Edited by nicolo

All coins paid for are at the post office, ready to roll, except for the two Canadian orders.... If I failed to send you a PayPal invoice, that is my fault and I would appreciate a quick reminder.

Thanks for all the interest and positive feedback, right or wrong, it is still a historic mark and I think a very nice coin. I wanted the original, if I am in error, I apologize for that. It is too late to change the coins now, not that I want to.....or would if I could. :P Glen

All coins paid for are at the post office, ready to roll, except for the two Canadian orders.... If I failed to send you a PayPal invoice, that is my fault and I would appreciate a quick reminder.

Hopefully mine is not one of the two Canadian orders ... I PayPal'd for my two last night.

Thanks for all the interest and positive feedback, right or wrong, it is still a historic mark and I think a very nice coin. I wanted the original, if I am in error, I apologize for that. It is too late to change the coins now, not that I want to.....or would if I could. :laughing: Glen

I think you did the right think minting a copy of the original. It's really neat looking, and historic. Sorry if I sidetracked the issue before I knew more details about it. Another funny idea would have been to have the original on one side and the reset on the other. :laughing:

--Marky

Everything paid for up to this point has been shipped. Now to start through the messages..... :(:( Glen

I'm a newbie to the forums, but I had to jump in here. I emailed you about buying some coins - I love them! I'm just hoping I'm not too late.

I totally agree that going with the original rather than the reset was the right thing to do (IMHO). :(

The Benchmark Geocoin Club link.

BENCHMARK GEOCOIN CLUB

I was not making any statement about the coin as far as which is right or left.

I like It and have one ordered,since I have been to it.

Both of them in fact.

There is a cache just north with the copy of the original disc set near it.

Geodetic Center-as close as you get..

I like it no matter what it is,it still represents the Mecca of the benchmarks.

Thanks Glen.

I started to produce benchmark coins after a conversation with my 10 year old son as we were discussing Rugby, ND and how it was the geographical center of North America. The other ones have been a history lesson for him also and fun to research, design, and watch the process of taking an abstract thought and producing a coin to hold in your hand!

Our latest project is finishing up our website where all of our coins will be listed for sale including some new cool ones at the mint :(. We have increased our quantities from the limited supply from before to 500+ for each design. Once we have the website in order I will let everyone know how to get on the subscriber list for new releases.

Randy

I started to produce benchmark coins after a conversation with my 10 year old son as we were discussing Rugby, ND and how it was the geographical center of North America. The other ones have been a history lesson for him also and fun to research, design, and watch the process of taking an abstract thought and producing a coin to hold in your hand!

Our latest project is finishing up our website where all of our coins will be listed for sale including some new cool ones at the mint :(. We have increased our quantities from the limited supply from before to 500+ for each design. Once we have the website in order I will let everyone know how to get on the subscriber list for new releases.

Randy

Benchmark - Australia

Benchmark - Four Corners USA

Benchmark - Kealakekua Bay, Hawaii

Benchmark - Lewis & Clark

Benchmark - Mt Rushmore National Memorial

Benchmark - Pyramids of Giza

Benchmark - The Golden Spike (Promontory)

I think that I have all of these except the Hawaii ( is this different from the Captain James Cook BM? ) - I also have the Rugby one ... will this one ( Hawaii ) be offered for sale or is do I have to trade for it?

Can you give us a list of all the ones you've produced? I'd like to correctly name them in my database as Kirkland BMs, thanks in advance.

... guess this is getting off topic, sorry. Maybe in a new thread.

Edited by nicolo

All orders paid for have been shipped, even that Canadian one. <_<<_<

We are leaving town in the morning and plan to be gone until Sunday evening. I will ship all orders paid before we leave. I will try to get all inquiries answered before midnight Sunday night. I hope you all enjoy them. Thanks, Glen

By the way GEO*Trailblazer 1, your check arrived today, did your coin? Thanks, Glen

Edited because I cannot spell chack, I mean check....

Edited by RattlingCrew

All orders paid for have been shipped, EVEN THAT CANADIAN ONE. <_<:mad:

We are leaving town in the morning and plan to be gone until Sunday evening. I will ship all orders paid before we leave. I will try to get all inquiries answered before midnight Sunday night. I hope you all enjoy them. Thanks, Glen

By the way GEO*Trailblazer 1, your check arrived today, did your coin? Thanks, Glen

Edited because I cannot spell chack, I mean check....

Thank you so much, kind Sir. <_<

Thank you so much, kind Sir. :)

Who in his right mind (which leaves me out) would argue with a guy named Big John? Besides, you have one tough looking avatar!

Everything that has been paid for is on the way to the post office in about ten minutes. I will check again in the morning and send off any additional ones before I leave town.

We hope to see a few more of the historic sites in western Kansas and add to my list of over 10,000 Kansas photos, I am sure. We will probably seek out a benchmark or two and definitely do some caching. :o:o

Glen

I am definitely having a bad spelling day!

Edited by RattlingCrew