Indiana 06 Geocoin

Team Tecmage

WOW! I missed the steam being let off yesterday. Span24, I think you are way out of line for picking at Team Neos. Sheri has done nothing but keep this project moving. Yes, I understand that you have a VALID issue the amount of time I took getting things in line and ordered, and I accept that criticism. You've got a short fuse about this project- join the club, but do not attack someone because you felt your ideas weren't considered!!

This is the response I expected, and appreciate from tecmage. You are nothing if not reasonable. I thank you for your honesty and acceptance. On the other hand, if I came off as "attacking" Neos2 then I apologize. I was in no way attempting to offend anyone. Those who were offended simply do not understand the frustration which occurred with this "community project". I was doing exactly as you depicted, 'venting steam'. She simply responded in a manner which opened the door for criticism of her role in the process. If we cannot, as Americans, voice our opinion, even if it might not be popular or shared, then we may as well close the gates and start outlawing activities such as that which the members of this forum all enjoy. I digress...

It was suggested in another post that I was not making friends. This is unfortunate. If the type of friends to be made here are the ones who would have me "shut up and sit down" then I will find my firends elsewhere. I doubt that there really are many of those types here, thankfully. Also, it seems I made at least one friend in BikiniBottomFeeders. Even if its only because I kept the sharks away for awhile. :) As for me, I may be sharp and opinionated, but I give full quarter, and have enough wisdom to know to speak only to the facts as I see them, and to be humble when shown otherwise. I like to laugh and have fun. I am long winded and open minded. As I said in closing my pointed response to Neos2s deflation of my inflated time referral. I love you all, no exceptions!

One more thing, Welch asekd me (even privately) what I would do differently. (S)he asked if I was suggesting votes or commitees for each point in the process. No, quite the opposite I'm afraid. To answer this you only need understand MY frustration. Which was with the time it took to actually produce the coin. At the risk of re-opening a debate about the particular timeline, I believe it actually took nearly three months to have the coin minted, after the decisions on design, text, colors, etc were made. I may be off by a few weeks either way but during this time I read more than one post which seemed to indicate that tecmage could not devote the time needed. This was my only issue. I did not submit any ideas for the coin as I truely like what was presented. Even though I do sit in the camp which believes that cornstalks are beautiful!

When all is said and done I STILL think that this coin took way too long to produce. Noone has changed my mind about that. Whether eight months, a year, or two, it still took too long. Perhaps we will fix this in the next one, maybe not. But now everyone knows my opinion on the issue.

PS: I still love you.. :)

Sounds like everyone has voiced their opinions. Nothing anyone says will change anyone else's opinion on the subject. It would be a great time to drop the subject and get back to Geocaching. Isn't that what this is all about anyway. I showed off my coins at the TrailMix yesterday and everyone loved the design. Thanks again for making this happen. I hope you do it again this year.

Deermark

I agree with getting back to caching, if only if weren't so coooool again and I didn't have soooo many papers to grade!

Before I let this go, I want to make sure credit gets given to those who deserve it. There were a lot of significant contributions made by others to this coin. Among those I can see just in this thread (and I probably missed some!):

Rupert2 --wabash & erie canal

techmage, maggieszoo, lots of others -canals and mules

Prarie partners, bikinibottomfeeders, greengecko, others- trackable and with icon, a special metal for Indiana residents only.

and then later Team Tecmage asked how everyone would feel about having a trackable for everyone and non-trackable in another metal for IN residents only--Almost everyone who responded agreed with that option.

Team BubbyMac, Team Shydog-- keep the price down (have to say that it was always Team Tecmage's intent to do that--the coins he did both years were done "at cost" without any intent on his part to make $$$ off the venture)

501 gang, markz68, beffums and japtkd, prariepartners etc --different metal & limit on resident coin

501gang, (and agreed on by several others)--add some 3-D

Team Shydog, markz68, PAWSitraction- use Indy Diver's virt cache for the pinpoint cache

welch -some tweaks to color, raised areas, lettering etc

At almost every stage, people got in touch to say what they liked, and what changes they would like to see. When several people agreed on something that appealed to them, I ran with the idea for awhile. I knew there would be no way to "please all the people, all the time" but I hoped to come up with something that would appeal to as many people as possible.

There were other suggestions made at events, by telephone, by email, and otherwise in person. For example, fairly early on, someone else suggested we add a raised edge; once it was there, someone else (maybe Neos 1?) said it needed a dark band around it and a second raised edge. Still another person suggested a totally different alignment of the lettering and some phasing that did indeed improve the overall design.

Every idea was considered. Some ideas that I thought were just wonderful came my way late, late, late in the process. At that point, people were getting anxious to see results and there was no way I wanted to go back to square one. I do think they ought to be considered for another coin.

If it had been up to me the "corn coin" would have been the theme for the 2006 coin. I liked it best. (Yes, 501gang, I was rooting for that one, too). I think others liked it, too, but not as much as they liked the canal coin. I didn't want to make a basketball coin because I thought that would take away from the groovy mini-coin that PP and BBF made.

Thanks for the nice words Deermark. I do like the coin, too. It looks even nicer than I hoped it would. I think we all made a good team on this one.

I think Techmage and Neros2 did agreat job trying to incorporate as many of the community ideas on this coin as they could. I can only imagine the 'fun' it is to make a coin like this and hope they continue the great work and do the 07 coin. Ideas have been tossed around at the indiana forums site and I hope Neros will put her talents to work and come up with another great coin.

Thanks Techmage & Nero2 for all your hard work!!

Still waiting in Lafayette for our 6 coins.

I will reply publicly to you because you deserve that much. I emailed you today and I apologize for missing getting your order out. I have been on a work-imposed vacation from the site working on a research project. Today is a very good day to catch up as I have a few hours this afternoon. Again thank you for your patience and I am very sorry for overlooking your order.

Richard

Still waiting in Lafayette for our 6 coins.

I will reply publicly to you because you deserve that much. I emailed you today and I apologize for missing getting your order out. I have been on a work-imposed vacation from the site working on a research project. Today is a very good day to catch up as I have a few hours this afternoon. Again thank you for your patience and I am very sorry for overlooking your order.

Richard

Awwww, thanks. I will admit to getting mighty impatient as I read about how nice the coins look, but I certainly understand how work can manage to "interfere" with life. ;) We look forward to getting our coins shortly.

Mrs. Car54

i would also like to say that we recieved our coins and could not be happier...they are awesome. thanks to everyone involved, and especially tecmage for tthe work. we apologize for not posting earlier, but we moved and lost our conection...so we are scrambling for awhile. but thanks again, and if this continues to an 07 coin, we will definitely be on the list!! happy caching!

dtc