Indiana 06 Geocoin

Team Tecmage

... or ... since, ultimately, there is no one single authority who is responsible for creating the "official" geocoin of the state of Indiana then it is open to anyone to create their own.

Should Indigo, InKy, or any other entity as a group wish to make their own then that group is welcome to make the "official" coin of that group.

This forum has acted as a place to air opinions and ideas. ... Now the coin creator has decided to act. I grew up in the south-suburban Indianapolis area (New Whiteland, Southport, Greenwood) I learned of the importance of the canals and later the railroad to the development of Indiana in the early years of statehood. I did NOT know what a canal actually looked like until my high school years. Canals do not symbolize Indiana to me, but then, as stated before, what single element does? Corn? Cars? Pork chops?

I've already watched one group of cachers destroy themselves over the creation of a coin. This group spent weeks bickering over colors, size of elements, phrases and dates to the point of needless angst. Just let it go.

The person actually shelling out the bucks and effort is the one who ultimately decides. Neos and Tecmage are the ones issuing this coin. They have allowed many others over a long period of time to provide input. They have created a very nice coin. Just let it go.

Edited by Torry

Hi all, I'm glad to see the ideas flowing and comments coming. Everyone that's got a thought on this coin and series is welcomed to comment. If the DNR waited much longer, the coin would be featuring cornstalks. :laughing:

I grew up in Illinois, and lived in Iowa and Texas before moving here. Believe me when I tell you that Corn in Iowa is everywhere!

I agree that we should come up with an annual theme, then choose designs based on the theme. Everyone is welcome to try. Having next year's theme early would sure help. BTW, we've started working on our own coin. Sorry Torry, no pork byproducts on this one either. :laughing:

Edited by Team Tecmage

I usually don't have much input in the forums but I agree with Torry, I can't believe I said that. The work is done. It is much too far along to change. Let's go with what we have. Those that don't like the design start working on next years. Personally I can't think of one thing that would symbolize the entire state of Indiana. To me Indiana means high school basketball. To another if may be fall colors. To yet another it may be the hills of the southern section. I think the design we have is excellent.

A big Thank You to Tecmage and Neos 2 for putting all the hard work into developing the coin. You guys did good.

Deermark

Not to bug you Team Tecmage, I realize the idea art isn't done etc., but can we get a recap on whats going on up to now?

Will the sides be something like:

d48236fc-f7d3-4743-9c4c-c09bdf4f209d.jpg

and

4593af5f-f4b5-470c-88e5-db6351bebd92.jpg

???

For the reverse will the canal be colorized or will be the unique etched(?) into the coin look?

and will the (or one of??) finish be the nice shiney chrome(?) again? Numbered?

thanks

welch

Not to bug you Team Tecmage, I realize the idea art isn't done etc., but can we get a recap on whats going on up to now?

For the reverse will the canal be colorized or will be the unique etched(?) into the coin look?

and will the (or one of??) finish be the nice shiney chrome(?) again? Numbered?

thanks

welch

Welch, my friend, your timing was excellent. I did get the die art today, and will post it in the morning. I spent the last hour trying to find and compare the obverse to last year. The colors are spot-on! The reverse looks good as well. With no objections, the coin will stay polished chrome.

Why wait??

Comments?? What would you change?

The only change I would make is to put the name of the canal/boat on it. That is if the coin from last year told what the site was. I don't have mine handy at work to look at.

ETA:

I just found a picture of last years. It says "Narrows Bridge - 2005" so I think this one out to say "Whitewater Canal - 2006".

Just my 2 cents.

Either way, I love it and will buy it.

ETA #2:

Just went back and looked at this years design....Looks great, don't change it. Says "Canals of Indiana". That's fine!

Edited by markz68

I really like that you put a reference to Indy Diver's virtual cache on the coin.

Ditto! Great job.

I agree. And that cache is on my "to do" list for in the very near future....

My compliments on the overall coin design. Well done.

bgf

That cache is one I did with my dad on Father's Day which was the day I introduced him to caching!

I did make a couple of suggestions to Team Tecmage for minor changes to the coloration--just to clean up the image a bit at that size. For instance, there was an odd black space that looked peculiar to me and I really liked the purple hills in the background.

9670fb78-14e2-4e72-b38a-9bc8f751c762.jpg

Edited by Neos2

Most excellent. Thanks for all the hard work. I am so glad you all have thick skin. Last year I missed out on buying the coin. This year I hope to be on top of it. Hey Neos. Give me a shout when the coins are ready to be bought. I am glad Indy Diver's cache was chosen to be on the cache. He deserves the recognition.

Deermark

Welch, my friend, your timing was excellent. I did get the die art today, and will post it in the morning. I spent the last hour trying to find and compare the obverse to last year. The colors are spot-on! The reverse looks good as well. With no objections, the coin will stay polished chrome.

I guess I should pay more attention to the threads when I start asking questions :unsure:

Comments:

The back looks good. Maybe 'Opening the new frontier' should be capalized or at least have the first letter in caps, for 'Opening The New Frontier', or 'OPENING THE NEW FRONTIER'

Front also looks good, but will it be identical to last years or slightly different? I ask because the art doesn't seem to meantion the texture/gradulation. And also the the torch and stars are shown as silver/chrome, not the gold color. Hm... I'll try to get a picture up for comparison so it will be easier to see what I'm talking about, though chrome does have tendency to glare :huh: .

This years artwork (front)

3225ea5a-607b-4b1a-a6ed-eddb0d407cd7.jpg

Last years coin (front)

1cce2f31-3f24-4855-bfe8-4c14523fe194.jpg

Last years artwork? (front)

d48236fc-f7d3-4743-9c4c-c09bdf4f209d.jpg

last years coin (back) - which has nothing to do with the other pics, but while i'm uploading stuff why not.

474840d9-52e8-4995-8328-d2b1716577b7.jpg

Edited by welch

Whew! I've been through a couple of weeks of "character-building" :P , but our conference was a success, and I can get back to my normal routine. I'm sorry, but I got the updated art Thursday, but was way too busy to check my email.

Elyssa already noted the horse hooves weren't changed to black. Welch noted Opening The New Frontier. I think the hills should be purple as noted by Mrs. Neos.

Welch about the obverse and whether it is a little different, I checked and the coloring is the same.

Anything else?

6219ff00-6cb1-4255-9abe-79a62faeb954.jpg

Edited by Team Tecmage

Whew! I've been through a couple of weeks of "character-building" :P , but our conference was a success, and I can get back to my normal routine. I'm sorry, but I got the updated art Thursday, but was way too busy to check my email.

Elyssa already noted the horse hooves weren't changed to black. Welch noted Opening The New Frontier. I think the hills should be purple as noted by Mrs. Neos.

Welch about the obverse and whether it is a little different, I checked and the coloring is the same.

Anything else?

Just a suggestion, but unless you are SURE these will ship in 2006, you might wanna change the date on the coin to 2007.

Anything else?

Just a suggestion, but unless you are SURE these will ship in 2006, you might wanna change the date on the coin to 2007.

:P Yeah, I was starting to think that they'd make great Christmas presents, too!

Edited by Neos2

Anything else?

so will next years coins be the 2007.5 edition? :P

Hi all .....

I'm a native Hoosier now living in Western Massachusetts with my family. I grew up in New Palestine where I graduated High School in 1990. Moved here in 2000 with my wife to begin grad school at UMass Amherst. My wife teaches locally and the area has grown on me. The topography of Western Massachusetts is somewhat rockier and taller than Southern Indiana - but the areas are reminicient of each other. Just thought I would say I've been watching this thread and look forward to when these coins come out. I will be sure to add a few to my collection.

I'll be in Indianapolis for New Years and look foward to some Indianapolis caching for the first time.

All the best!

Matt

Well 2006 is allmost over.I just want to rant alittle,

Whats the point of having a 2006 coin that I will get in 2007?? I know alot goes into the making and getting input from people to get this coin going,and it takes alot more to be the person who gets this going and being the lead man on this coin .I guess what I'm trying to say "Scrap 2006 on the coin and put 2007 on it instead" Lets get a head start on 2007?/

sorry for the rant. :(

Whats the point of having a 2006 coin that I will get in 2007?? I know alot goes into the making and getting input from people to get this coin going,and it takes alot more to be the person who gets this going and being the lead man on this coin .I guess what I'm trying to say "Scrap 2006 on the coin and put 2007 on it instead" Lets get a head start on 2007?/

That's what I suggested in post # 177

That's what I suggested in post # 177

Well when your on a rant you never really read past posts like you should. :(

Mayhaps I am speaking out of turn but "Does it really take a ~year~ to produce a coin"? If so then lets start submitting ~ideas~ for 2008 :(

hmm... I personally don't think a 2006 would need to be delivered directly in 2006 to be dated 2006, but unless ordering starts real quick the minting and deliverly could be a little ways into 2007 :(

Weird idea...

Maybe the 'canals' coins should be pushed back a couple months and a second design should be created and done at the same time. Killing both 06 and 07 at once?

Of course all this assumes Team Tecmage has time(?) to get back to this :D

hmm... I personally don't think a 2006 would need to be delivered directly in 2006 to be dated 2006, but unless ordering starts real quick the minting and deliverly could be a little ways into 2007 :(

Weird idea...

Maybe the 'canals' coins should be pushed back a couple months and a second design should be created and done at the same time. Killing both 06 and 07 at once?

Of course all this assumes Team Tecmage has time(?) to get back to this :D

I am sure that there are a few folks out there who would happily pick up the ball if Tecmage is overextended and cannot find the time for the Indiana coins. I myself have considered producing coins.

Is this the issue, "time"?

And yes, if necessary this is an offer... :(

Weird idea...

Of course all this assumes Team Tecmage has time(?) to get back to this :wub:

I am sure that there are a few folks out there who would happily pick up the ball if Tecmage is overextended and cannot find the time for the Indiana coins. I myself have considered producing coins.

Is this the issue, "time"?

And yes, if necessary this is an offer... :wub:

I have no idea if this is a time issue, hence the (?) , what I do know is they haven't posted here in a while.

Hi, my time is not the issue right now. I'm waiting on Coins and Pins to send the final die art and cost. I have a call into Elyssa about that, and expect somethings today. Rupert2 and Team GCHound offered to host the sale on the INGEO site, and I'm taking them up on that offer. Once we get the final art and costs, then ordering will be very quick (two-week window). Tracy and I can probably get all the orders out in a week or two (based on last year).

I'd rather keep this as the '06 coin, and start working on the '07 coin sometime in February or March. As mentioned earlier in this thread, I think we should open it up to a theme, let people brainstorm on designs, and then we pick one and run with it.

Hi, my time is not the issue right now. I'm waiting on Coins and Pins to send the final die art and cost. I have a call into Elyssa about that, and expect somethings today. Rupert2 and Team GCHound offered to host the sale on the INGEO site, and I'm taking them up on that offer. Once we get the final art and costs, then ordering will be very quick (two-week window). Tracy and I can probably get all the orders out in a week or two (based on last year).

I'd rather keep this as the '06 coin, and start working on the '07 coin sometime in February or March. As mentioned earlier in this thread, I think we should open it up to a theme, let people brainstorm on designs, and then we pick one and run with it.

If I was reading correctly then I think it really is just a question of "how long does it take to produce a coin?".

Looks like this thread opened in July with requests for ideas and nearly six months later the coin has still yet to be ordered. It sounded like folks were just getting a little concerned that it was taking more time than they thought it should.

Perhaps your take on "why it takes so long" could put peoples minds at ease. If you are experiencing personal problems or time issues yourself than I personally would be happy to assist, or take over the task of producing future coins. :D Let me know!!

Either way, Thanx for your efforts!! Great looking coin!! Can't wait to see it!! :(

Thanx for the update!!