Indiana 06 Geocoin

Team Tecmage

I still need Tracy's input on the image. We've been dealing with sick kids, no internet and other nongeocaching issues.

How would everyone feel about a trackable coin being available to everyone, and a nontrackable coin available to Indiana residents only?

What does that do to the set up costs, if anything?

Hope the young ones are feeling bouncy again.

I still need Tracy's input on the image. We've been dealing with sick kids, no internet and other nongeocaching issues.

How would everyone feel about a trackable coin being available to everyone, and a nontrackable coin available to Indiana residents only?

What does that do to the set up costs, if anything?

Hope the young ones are feeling bouncy again.

Thanks for asking. Solana is back to her old self, Nina is starting to feel better, and even I am feeling like my old self.

I left another message for Aaron at Coins and Pins. Unless there have been some changes in prices, we're looking at $4 for nontrackables and between $5-7 for trackables. There's a new coin club starting that is offering trackable and nontrackable versions of the same coin. Their costs are in the ranges I listed above.

So, here we go: I spoke with Elyssa at Coins and Pins. We talked about getting pricing for two coins- a Polished Chrome trackable and a nontrackable coin of a different metal. She's going to work with us on that second metal and creating a clean image for the reverse.

Arron removed the pricing from the website, so they have to give us a cost. Elyssa did say that the cost of metals has increased, but not by how much. I have emailed Team Neos photoshopping those images a little more. So we might have something to discuss in depth in a couple of days.

Well if you can't use that one, use the one with the hay stack, I kind of like it better myself anyway.

I sort of liked that one, too...and that is on my backup list. What woding would you put on that one?

How about "Caching The Heartland".

Don’t throw rocks, it was just an idea...

Well if you can't use that one, use the one with the hay stack, I kind of like it better myself anyway.

I sort of liked that one, too...and that is on my backup list. What woding would you put on that one?

How about "Caching The Heartland".

Don’t throw rocks, it was just an idea...

Not bad Cowboy!

IF we get premission from the Whitewater Canal folks (actually from the Indiana State museum DNR folks) to use their image, we will be using the coin that we looked at last. If not, um, I guess we'll go with the cornstalk one unless Team Tecmage has something else up their sleeves.

I'm hoping to hear from the nice folks soooooooooon. Everyone cross their fingers!

Crossing my fingers for the cornstalks! :angry:

That's what you meant right?!?

Hey, if the canal one pans out, you can always start a campaign for the cornstalk one for next year!

Sorry, I really dislike the cornstalks. Great image, but has nothing to do with geocaching and is definately not unique to Indiana. Any midwestern state could use corn as a "state icon".

Now there is a very devious idea! How about a geocache in a cornfield? It would have to be a seasonal thing and the permission would be tough to get, but what a challenge that would be? :huh::ph34r:

Edited by Rupert2

Bummer, It doesn't do anything for me.

This one also doesn't have any thing to do with caching if that's what we were going for.

But I'll probably buy one, would have bought 5 to 10 of the other ones.

Oh well, there's always next year.

So ... go ahead and make a coin. I recommend pigs. Lots of pigs.

... and race cars.

This one also doesn't have any thing to do with caching if that's what we were going for.

... and race cars.

I have my personal coins made already.

I was giving input on the Indiana coin.

I've never seen the canals and really don't have an interst in them. Never even heard of them till this thread. Not sure what makes them so unique to Indiana actually.

I to would have rather seen an Indy car on it, even though I'm not an Indy race fan but it does symbolize Indiana. Kind of why one's on the Indiana State quarter.

But as for the two choices I seen on this thread, choice 'B' appealed to me better and seemed more 'Indianaish' to me, But, that's just my oppinion.

Edited by 501_Gang

I think the historical importance of the canals to Indiana cannot be denied. Do they symbolize Indiana for all? No. But then, what does? Even the race car concept is lost in Gary and Evansville and along the Ohio. Basketball is probably more Hoosier than Indy car racing. The diversity in this state is subtle but there is diversity. The opinions expressed in this thread demonstrated that. I doubt if there is any single element that is uniquely Hoosier that anyone could name. ... except for me. It's a pig thing.

I salute and congratulate those who have put so much effort into this and look forward to this coins creation.

... and race cars.

I have my personal coins made already.

I was giving input on the Indiana coin.

I've never seen the canals and really don't have an interst in them. Never even heard of them till this thread. Not sure what makes them so unique to Indiana actually.

I to would have rather seen an Indy car on it, even though I'm not an Indy race fan but it does symbolize Indiana. Kind of why one's on the Indiana State quarter.

But as for the two choices I seen on this thread, choice 'B' appealed to me better and seemed more 'Indianaish' to me, But, that's just my oppinion.

I am not denying you your right to your opinion. I just have a couple of comments.

What did you think of last year's coin with the covered bridge? I had never seen a covered bridge still in operation in Indiana until I started geocaching. Now I have seen 4 of the 5 in the county next to mine. But I bet if I asked me friends from other states to tell me what they think of when they hear "Indiana", I doubt any of them would mention covered bridges. So, even though covered bridges don't have anything to do with geocaching directly, geocaching has introduced me to some of Indiana's covered bridges.

The same goes for the canals. I think I may have been the first one in this thread to mention the specific canal used on this coin. There is a virtual cache there that has introduced a lot of people to canals & canal boats. We have the remnants of this same canal (minus the water) running through my town so we were taught in school the importance of canals to the settler in our area. Train tracks where laid on the horse tow path when trains replaced canal boats for transporting goods to many areas. We even used to take a yearly school trip to by train to Metamora to see this canal. So canals do signify "Indiana" to people in my area. Again, I doubt people from other states would mention canals when discussing Indiana, but some Hoosiers would.

Again, you have every right to your opinion. I am just showing why canals on the coin appeal to me!

I am not denying you your right to your opinion. I just have a couple of comments.

What did you think of last year's coin with the covered bridge? I had never seen a covered bridge still in operation in Indiana until I started geocaching. Now I have seen 4 of the 5 in the county next to mine. But I bet if I asked me friends from other states to tell me what they think of when they hear "Indiana", I doubt any of them would mention covered bridges. So, even though covered bridges don't have anything to do with geocaching directly, geocaching has introduced me to some of Indiana's covered bridges.

The same goes for the canals. I think I may have been the first one in this thread to mention the specific canal used on this coin. There is a virtual cache there that has introduced a lot of people to canals & canal boats. We have the remnants of this same canal (minus the water) running through my town so we were taught in school the importance of canals to the settler in our area. Train tracks where laid on the horse tow path when trains replaced canal boats for transporting goods to many areas. We even used to take a yearly school trip to by train to Metamora to see this canal. So canals do signify "Indiana" to people in my area. Again, I doubt people from other states would mention canals when discussing Indiana, but some Hoosiers would.

Again, you have every right to your opinion. I am just showing why canals on the coin appeal to me!

I thought last years coins were nice and very different compared to what was out there last year. As for the covered bridges, I have seen many of them as I was growing up so yes, they did appeal to me and I bought 6 of them. (Still have 3 left)

As for this years coin, I would rather see one done similar to the Mississippi coin. In the shape of Indiana, no epoxy, few colors, etc. But since the initial design and shape has already been determined, only the one side was being disscused.

Sorry that this design does nothing for me. I know the creators are working hard on it and it's not easy pleasing everyone, but if I'm not wrong, our opinion was asked for on the design, and I gave mine. It may have differed from some or most of you, but that's going to happen when asking for opinions. To be told that one has more than the other to do with Geocaching is rediculous. It's all in the eye of the beholder and for me it doesn't work.

To be told "so... go ahead and make a coin", was to me a slam of "If you don't like this one, make your own" which sends the message that opinions were not really sought after only praise. I have made my own personal coin BTW.

I know Rupert and always look forward to talking with him at the events and talk to Tecmage off forum once in a while and was sure what they were asking for was honest opinions, and that's what I was giving.

If I misunderstood the reason for this thread, then I'm sorry for all the problems I caused.

Some random thoughts:

No one idea is going to please everyone. I don't have a problem with that.

THANKS team techmage for standing up --again this year--to offer to get production rolling on a coin. We appreciate it.

I had fun designing the coin for this year. I was on summer break, and got to play with my software imaging programs. I learned a lot of things that I can use in my classroom. Thanks for indulging me.

I was surprised that someone with more artistic talent did not stand up and offer to improve on my design. I suppose that means that I am flattered that you folks liked my dabbling.

I think there were lots of neat ideas tossed around this year.

I would like to see a coin made (sometime) in the shape of Indiana. Perhaps it could have the state motto on one side "Crossroads of America" and the first Indiana cache commemorated on the reverse side. (I know, a lot of people do not like odd shaped coins--but some people do like them).

I would like to see a coin give a nod to the Indy500. I think it would make a cool token to give people when they get 500 Iniana caches (or an Indiana cacher who reaches the 500 milestone).

Corn does symbolize Indiana to me--since I have driven through miles and miles of it on my way from my home (now) in southern Indiana to my birthplace in Indianapolis. But then so do:

wetlands (although most of them are gone now!),

soybeans apparently one of our biggest crops

bales of hay, pumpkins, and cantelope

cows-especially state fair or Four-H cows, I don't know why

Persimmon pudding-an Indiana specialty!

Eucher (yes, the card game--apparently Native to the "Pennsylvania Dutch" region of Pennsylvania, those PA Germans who moved to Indiana, and their descendents as they spread west)

mills--Indiana millstones were sold as far away as France

Indiana limestone

Most of those have nothing to do with caching per se, although I feel sure that if we looked, there is a cache near examples of each of those things.

I am in my late 40s, and my teachers here in southern Indiana taught us about the canals in Indiana history classes all through my school years. The part of southern Indiana I grew up in has none of those canals --we didn't need them because we had creeks and big rivers so we had passage for our shipping even before the railroad came through! My teachers thought that the entire history of transportation in Indiana was important--creeks & river, Indian paths, canals, railroads, National road, highways, etc. Perhaps teachers don't feel that way these days and younger people aren't learning about transporation of goods on the frontier. The standards do change over time.

I like the canal coin idea. I liked it enough to play with the image, ask permission to use the image, and pay to use the image.

There is not one "official" Indiana coin. This canal coin is just the product of a group of people who happen to be cachers who got together and came up with an idea that they liked that someone was willing to put into an image and someone else is willing to put up the hassle or getting minted and distributed.

Anyone who wants to make a coin can make a coin. Sales will go down (for everyone) if people split their money among several coins, but that is one way to try to please everyone. Of course, it still won't please everyone.

To Torry: Neos1's grandfather worked at a big name dairy. He always said you don't want to know what they put in chocolate ice cream!

Some random thoughts:

.... yadda-yadda-yadda- ...

... On to the important part, something about me! ...

To Torry: Neos1's grandfather worked at a big name dairy. He always said you don't want to know what they put in chocolate ice cream!

Hey! You gotta get the brown in there somehow.

Some random thoughts:

Oooooh, yuck!

Some random thoughts:

Oooooh, yuck!

What? What? ... Hey! I get food to eat not to read. Pass me the Trans-fats and guar gum... I'm ready.

I'm the one that suggested the corn stocks only because I can relate Indiana to corn easier than I can to canals. Although after thinking about it I just live about two miles from Tow Path which is a county road that ran along the canal. I live fairly close to the Wabash River so back in the old days there was a canal that ran through here. Yahoo, now I can relate to the new Indiana Geocoin ha ha. Like that TV commercial used to say, "There’s more than corn in Indiana!".

Last years coin was easy to relate to because I live in Parke County with all of these covered bridges. In fact I have caches at most of them including the Narrows bridge GCX3AW. The Narrows Bridge was built by my wife's great-great grandfather J.A. Britton so I can relate to the 2005 Indiana State coin very well.

I said earlier whatever is decided I would be happy with it.

Now BRING ON THE COIN!

How much and when/where do we order....

Cowboy

I agree with 501 gang. I never even knew there were canals in indiana. It seems to me that we are picking something very obscure that not many in Indiana can even relate to. It also seems, please don't take this personally, that the ideas for the coin are only being chosen from things that are more common in northern indiana...please remember that i'm not attacking anyone but pointing out what I feel to be a skewing of "accepted" ideas to things in northern indiana. I know that someone is going to say something about there being a canal and a covered bridge in souther indiana and thats not exactly what i'm talking about. What I and I think 501gang is saying is that we don't feel that canals should be the focus of a coin that is supposed to be representative of indiana.

On the other side...IF there is to be a series of coins that were to represent the entire state eventually then those "ideas"(note:not designs) should be decided on now so that we don't continue to debate about what represents indiana.

ex. 5 coins over 5 years

year 1: covered bridge

year 2: canal

year 3:indy 500

year 4:basketball

year 5:"crossroads of america"

I just think if the coins are slowly progressing then maybe we should come up with a list of topics that we'd like included on coin designs and then VOTE on them as a community instead of it being decided on the basis of how many people are posting positively on a particulr design.

After topics are decided on then we can come up with MULTIPLE designs and then vote on them.

I understand that this still probably won't be satisfying to everyone but at least it would be fairer to all those involved

Another idea would be to pass the project off every year

ex.

year 1: someone from N. Indiana

year 2: someone from E. Indiana

year3: someone from S. Indiana

year 4: someone from W. Indiana

year 5: someone from Central Indiana

this would also lend more towards representation of the whole state

Also I agree with others that a state coin should definitely be trackable...

otherwise its not a geocoin and can't be sold through forums.

And no I don't think we should be making $ but we aren't the only people that will be wanting these coins we have the entire geocaching community to think about too, many of which are hoosiers at heart.

And for those of you who know me I know that this post is wierd because I'm not opening my mouth but have actually thought a lot about this subject.

L8r

-David

Team Bikinibottomfeeders