Indiana 06 Geocoin

Team Tecmage

You can still make a coin trackable and keep the price down low. There are way too many out there trying to make huge profits on their coins.

Too true! I'm still surprised at some of the prices out there. I admit to buying a couple of .999 Silver coins, but mainly $6-8 coins. I'd like to keep the price down on our coin (again).

What is the 2005 coin made of? The silverish one that is.

:huh: There is alot of good ideas and alot of good people working on this. Here is one idea on getting them out. Get an idea when the coin will be ready and set up an Indiana coin event. Start with one coin per person and then from there. I have only been doing this since the first of the year, but I have notice alot of good people that have worked on events, placing caches, placing caches for some good cache series and logging on events that are from other states. Just an idea. :huh:

You can still make a coin trackable and keep the price down low. There are way too many out there trying to make huge profits on their coins.

Too true! I'm still surprised at some of the prices out there. I admit to buying a couple of .999 Silver coins, but mainly $6-8 coins. I'd like to keep the price down on our coin (again).

What is the 2005 coin made of? The silverish one that is.

The 05 is Chrome (plated?). Those .999 Silver coins were 05 Alaska LEs. They went to a local mint that does a lot of perious metal coins. I'm a casual collector of American Eagle coins (.999 Silver- the other metals cost too much), and liked the idea of a unique coin. I might break down and get one of these:

gcamer-sil-in-box.jpg

:laughing: There is alot of good ideas and alot of good people working on this. Here is one idea on getting them out. Get an idea when the coin will be ready and set up an Indiana coin event. Start with one coin per person and then from there. I have only been doing this since the first of the year, but I have notice alot of good people that have worked on events, placing caches, placing caches for some good cache series and logging on events that are from other states. Just an idea. :laughing:

Not a bad idea. Maybe do some caching and distribute coins?

I personally think that it would be a huge mistake not to make this years coin trackable.

Most people(that are actually going to be buying these coins) have switched to buying trackable only coins. If they don't end up trackable we could be losing a huge portion of our buying base(financial backers). I do support the idea of limited editions of coins but vote that like kentucky it should be limited to one percacher and available only at indiana events(in northern and souther indiana).

I would also like to see some kind of border around the edge.

I think the mintage should be at least 1000 to start because of the HUGE price break that comes at 1000.

As far as what actually goes on the coin I think we shouldn't pick something that is obscure but something that applies to the WHOLE state. Maybe the Hoosier National Forest that covers a HUGE portion of the state and has a TON of geocaches that are legally place(sorry charlestown :)

those are my thoughts so far!

lol

david

bikinibottomfeeders

As far as what actually goes on the coin I think we shouldn't pick something that is obscure but something that applies to the WHOLE state. Maybe the Hoosier National Forest that covers a HUGE portion of the state and has a TON of geocaches that are legally place(sorry charlestown <_<

Where did this come from? I'm not following your train of thought.

If you are talking about the idea to use the canal, I agree that it would make more sense to talk about ALL of the canals built in Indiana

See:

http://www.indcanal.org/

http://www.statelib.lib.in.us/www/ihb/publ...s/canalmap.html

http://www.statelib.lib.in.us/www/ihb/publ.../canalsind.html

http://www.franklinchs.com/PPP/places/Whit...ewatercanal.htm

The canals were the interstate of their times, and connected all of Indiana, decreasing shipping costs ten-fold and allowing Indiana folks to ship goods at a profit for a twenty year period around the time of the Civil War. Indiana was slow getting into the canal building craze, probably because parts of northern Indiana weren't really very well settled until the 1840s. The railroad eventually took the place of the canals.

I would like to consider seeing the railroad story in Indiana depicted, also...or even the more general term of the state motto Crossroads of America"

A website on state mottoes provided this:

About the Indiana State Motto

The year was 1937 and the motto certainly suggests that the intersecting of important roads, railroads and waterways of the nation occurs within the boundaries of the State of Indiana. Indeed, Indiana was on the path west by many settlers coming from the northeast and east central states.

The first major road to cross the state was the historic Cumberland, or National, Road, now labeled US Route 40. This road was built in the early 1800s. Many railroads provide freight service in Indiana and the Lake Michigan ports of Burns Harbor, Buffington, Gary and Indiana Harbor provide connections, via the Great Lakes and St. Lawrence Seaway for oceangoing ships from around the world. Smaller ports, Southwind and Clark, are found on the Ohio River, providing access to the Mississippi River and the Gulf of Mexico to the south.

The Indiana Department of Administration states:

"'The Crossroads of America' signifies the importance of waterways, railroads, highways and other transportation facilities in the state, viewed by many as some of the finest in the nation."

As to Charlestown state park... I don't want to open up that can of worms again, because it still rankles. However, I do want to remind anyone who is new to geocaching in Indiana that when those caches were placed, they were "legal"--the DNR non-rules regulations were changed later. Thankfully, most of the other DNR facilities chose to handle the change in the rules differently than the way Charlestown responded.

Although the National Forest area is awesome, it's less than 1% of Indiana's total land area, and not really representative of the state as a whole. In fact, you are hard put to find one spot in Indiana that does represent the whole state--there are areas that are prarie, rolling farmland, woodland, and wetland. The bedrock geology varies as well, there are karst regions, places that have been sculpted by glaciers, and places that glaciers have never touched.

I think we should stay away from promoting any of the parks systems on the coin. I'm sure everyone will have their favorite. I'd rather see the parks honored with a series of geocaches somehow. But that's for another thread, isn't it?

There are several things that comes to mind when thinking of Indiana to us Hoosiers and others outside of this great state. Such as, Indy 500, basketball, and our state bird and state tree could be represented on coin with pride. Also corn crop is also a big part of this state. Monument circle in Indy could be also a good canidate for back of coin.

There are several things that comes to mind when thinking of Indiana to us Hoosiers and others outside of this great state. Such as, Indy 500, basketball, and our state bird and state tree could be represented on coin with pride. Also corn crop is also a big part of this state. Monument circle in Indy could be also a good canidate for back of coin.

While these are indeed state icons, what do they have to do with geocaching?

I personally think that it would be a huge mistake not to make this years coin trackable.

Most people(that are actually going to be buying these coins) have switched to buying trackable only coins. If they don't end up trackable we could be losing a huge portion of our buying base(financial backers). I do support the idea of limited editions of coins but vote that like kentucky it should be limited to one percacher and available only at indiana events(in northern and souther indiana).

I think the mintage should be at least 1000 to start because of the HUGE price break that comes at 1000.

I really don't care what the rest of the world thinks. We are making this for Indiana, not for the other 500 people that are going to try to make a buck selling them off of ebay.

It really burns my rear that we continue to pay an extra $1.5 for each coin that we buy when we all know that most will never be activated. For some reason there is a stigma out there that activated coins are somehow tainted in the trading community. Why bother with the extra cost and trouble if most will never be activated? Lets make something that is nice and affordable for Indiana Geocachers rather than feeding the quickly dying trackable geocoin machine.

While these are indeed state icons, what do they have to do with geocaching?

These were just suggestions, what does the history of Walbash have to do it geocaching in Indiana as a whole?

I really don't care what the rest of the world thinks. We are making this for Indiana, not for the other 500 people that are going to try to make a buck selling them off of ebay.

So are these only going to be sold to Indiana folks only?? Are these only going to be sold at cost without profit?

It really burns my rear that we continue to pay an extra $1.5 for each coin that we buy when we all know that most will never be activated. For some reason there is a stigma out there that activated coins are somehow tainted in the trading community. Why bother with the extra cost and trouble if most will never be activated? Lets make something that is nice and affordable for Indiana Geocachers rather than feeding the quickly dying trackable geocoin machine.

I think it would be nice to see these travel in caches w/ tracking numbers like geocoins were meant to be and not worry about what the trading value will be. There will be several placed in caches I'm sure.

If not trackable then these CANNOT be discussed or sold on Geocaching forums unless they are going to be available as trade only.

Edited by Prairiepartners

I think I bought 10 or 15 of the coins last year because they were affordable. I ended up with the one I have left in my coin collection. The rest were placed in caches or given away at events. If they are as affordable this year (taking in to consideration the small rise in metal prices) I will buy about the same amount. I personally don't care to spend the extra money on tracking something that will sit in my display rack.

Chris-Team Shydog

Edited by Team Shydog

BEWARE! Responses to multiple posts ahead that are not necessarily in the correct order.

If not trackable then these CANNOT be discussed or sold on Geocaching forums unless they are going to be available as trade only.

From the geocoin forum guidelines: “This forum may be used for selling, trading or giving away of geocoins which are trackable on Geocaching.com…Posts made with the intention of soliciting customers to a coin selling, tracking, or manufacturing website will not be tolerated.”

I should point out that this discussion takes place in the Midwest Forums and not in the Geocoin forums. Hopefully our moderators will stop by to weigh in on the situation as to what may or may not apply. This is clearly labeled as a brainstorming session and IMHO we are not in violations of any of the guidelines. Currently, there is no 06 Indiana geocoin so we are clearly not selling or promoting this non-existent coin. This is simply a place for the Indiana Geocachers to brainstorm.

So are these only going to be sold to Indiana folks only?? Are these only going to be sold at cost without profit?

That is not a bad idea. It may a little difficult to control, but not impossible. Definately worth pondering here. To my knowledge the 05 Indiana geocoin was not sold for profit and was going on the premise that this one would not either. Perhaps we need a clear statement from Team Tecmage on this.

These were just suggestions, what does the history of Walbash have to do it geocaching in Indiana as a whole?

Sorry, not familiar with the history of the Walbash :P. I am assuming that you are referring to the Wabash & Erie Canal concept? I just did some filtering with the waypoints in my GSAK and just found 18 caches reference the Wabash & Erie Canal with the furthest point north being in Ft. Wayne and the furthest south point being in Evansville. Keep in mind that I was only working with the caches that I have in my GSAK right now which happens to be heavy on NE Indiana and very light on the rest of the state. It would be interesting to find out how many caches are located on or directly adjacent to the towpath? I would bet the number is huge.

Please to not take this as my endorsement of the Wabash & Erie Canal concept as I was just answering the referenced question. In reality, I could EASILY get behind many of the ideas thrown out here (I especially like Team Neos’ list).

Edited by Rupert2

That is not a bad idea. It may a little difficult to control, but not impossible. Definately worth pondering here. To my knowledge the 05 Indiana geocoin was not sold for profit and was going on the premise that this one would not either. Perhaps we need a clear statement from Team Tecmage on this.

The goal last year was at cost. I got a little worried when I made the second trip to the post office to mail orders- I thought I underestimated the shipping costs. In the end, I believe I overestimated costs by $15 (total).

The goal this year is to sell at cost. Unless you guys want to help pay for that trip to Hawaii next year. :unsure:

I know, I'm being a pest, but I found this on the 'net tonight, and found it compelling.

b9c3bae8-43db-4ee9-a190-d824af8732dd.jpg

The Old Whitewater Canal

By: William Campbell of Muncie

This was wrote during the Great Depression

When Indiana was young and gay

Someone built a waterway,

An old canal by the river wide

Like a little fawn by it's mothers side.

It scampered around from town to town,

This way and the other,

And often strayed from where the river layed

That fed it like a mother.

Back in her days, there were no highways,

But she was always ready

To carry her load, down her winding road

For her walls were strong and steady.

Her boats did go though rather slow,

With produce loaded heavy.

And were pulled along by mules strong

From their path upon her levee.

But now she is old, her story told

Like an old book tossed away,

If you happen to ride down by her side

You may see her there today.

Just like a bride, full of pride

She was built a long time before up

Let us go down to old Hagerstown

Where the old canal starts on her course

There she does seem like a beautiful stream

With trees by her side so tall

As she runs along, she sings her song

To her ever cumbling wall.

She seems to say, "I have had my day,

Although I have done my duty

Now I am told that I am old

And have lost all of my beauty."

"I have served as a road, I have carried my load

To the market I did deliver,

I carried the goods throught hill and woods

Down to the old big river."

You may see her today, like a fawn at play

Though her walls are beginning to totter,

She bounds and leaps, while her mother creeps

The river, old Whitewater

I TYPED THIS EXACTLY AS MY FATHER WROTE IT. AS YOU KNOW HE HAD TO QUIT SCHOOL IN THE 6TH GRADE, WHICH MAKES IT ALL THE MORE REMARKABLE. PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK OF IT. I PERSONALLY LIKE SOME OF HIS OTHER POEMS BETTER, BUT THIS WAS THE ONE HE WAS MOST PROUD OF. IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO READ SOME OF HIS OTHER INDIANA POEMS PLEASE LET ME KNOW. THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST. I SPENT MANY HAPPY DAYS AT LAUREL, INDIANA AT THE RIVER, FISHING AND CAMPING( NOT EVEN A TENT) WITH MY FAMILY BACK IN THE 40'S AND 50'S.

PLEASE CONTACT ME: (email address removed for privacy)

If the theme is leaning towards the canal boat, We might want to look at one of Indy Divers virtual caches, GC9DD6. It is a old canal boat. I think that would be a great way to showcase part of Indiana's history as well as give a nod to one of Indiana's leading supporters of geocaching. I am sure someone could run over and take whatever picture you might need of the boat.

If the theme is leaning towards the canal boat, We might want to look at one of Indy Divers virtual caches, GC9DD6. It is a old canal boat. I think that would be a great way to showcase part of Indiana's history as well as give a nod to one of Indiana's leading supporters of geocaching. I am sure someone could run over and take whatever picture you might need of the boat.

That's the same cache I suggested in post #41 of this same thread! I only live 11.3 miles from there, so I can probably go grab a picture if you need.

Actually, if you look at the gallery in my profile, you can see the picture I took of my dad in front of the boat for the virtual cache. The picture of me is in his profile gallery.

Edited by markz68

This is a rough draft of what I meant by using the symbols on the public domain open caching symbol:

9fd0eeb2-f2c4-4806-b9b1-6f49e404f2cf.jpg

3c2a398a-a230-40e5-b136-6ffe9ebfc321.jpg

I like the idea but I think the state seal is far too detailed to be able to shrink it down to fit on less than 1/4 of a coin. It'd probably be best to have THAT coin-sized by itself.

As far as tracking / icons - we don't care about those either. We just like the coins. You guys did such a great job last year; we're really looking forward to seeing this year's as well.

I like the idea of the Wabash / Erie Canal. That's a nifty idea. I'm not too fond of the "3D design" idea - it adds a lot to the cost of the coin, and there's really not much need for it.

If we did "Canals of Indiana" (instead of just the Wasbash and Erie Canal) I wonder if the Whitewater canal people would let us modify their image? I think it will appeal to you, Team Tecmage!

27ebcccc-65f3-4bc8-8572-2d8aef794517.jpg

Ohhhh, I very much like this one.

Instead of "Water Wheel & Lock #25" it could say something like

"Indiana Geocachers 2006" or whatever.

Cooooollll...

Oh, I like this idea very much too! That way there could be the coordinates of the virtual on the coin, just like there was last year!

I think the state seal would look neat on the coin but probably not with the state on the front side.

Put me down for about 5-10 coins when they come out.

I had to pay $20 for the 05 coin on eBay but I wanted one real bad! I personally like the idea of having a tracking number on them so I can release a few in caches and watch them travel. However, I understand if you have no intent to turn one loose and watch it travel from cache to cache that is probably a waste of money.

Indiana cropland feeds a lot of America, which might be worth considering too. Maybe a picture of an ammo box in front of some corn stocks???

Whatever everyone decides I'm sure will be nice. I know I can't wait to get one!

Cowboy

I think the state seal would look neat on the coin but probably not with the state on the front side.

Put me down for about 5-10 coins when they come out.

I had to pay $20 for the 05 coin on eBay but I wanted one real bad! I personally like the idea of having a tracking number on them so I can release a few in caches and watch them travel. However, I understand if you have no intent to turn one loose and watch it travel from cache to cache that is probably a waste of money.

Indiana cropland feeds a lot of America, which might be worth considering too. Maybe a picture of an ammo box in front of some corn stocks???

Whatever everyone decides I'm sure will be nice. I know I can't wait to get one!

Cowboy

How about the Red Gold ketchup logo? That's made in Indiana! :)

Or a group shot of Axel Rose, David Lee Roth, Michael Jackson, and John Mellancamp. All Hoosiers!

Edited by markz68

Cowboy

8e93dac7-9ae2-4257-90fb-beb38a901670.jpg

This would be a nice looking coin. Way to go Team Neos!

Thanks 501 Gang and everyone else for putting up with me and all the images. I'm not trying to be pushy here, I'm just a visual learner, and have to "see" it to really give it good consideration. And it's still summer vacation, so I don't have to prepare lesson plans every evening for the next day's classes....and I just like to play with my photo editing software.

Believe me, my feelings WON"T be hurt if none of my design ideas are seriously considered. I'm just having some fun.

Thanks 501 Gang and everyone else for putting up with me and all the images. I'm not trying to be pushy here, I'm just a visual learner, and have to "see" it to really give it good consideration. And it's still summer vacation, so I don't have to prepare lesson plans every evening for the next day's classes....and I just like to play with my photo editing software.

Believe me, my feelings WON"T be hurt if none of my design ideas are seriously considered. I'm just having some fun.

I was wondering what she did all day while I was at work. :blink: I guess now I know. Neos 1

Sorry folks, Comcast had us on a three day hiatus. :laughing:

Team Neos, excellent work!

Thanks Team Tecmage. I was wondering where you had run off to.

So where are we in the coin process? Any new ideas? Any new questions to throw out to us? Are you still fond of the canal coin, and if you are have you found any good images? I know that you've asked some questions already and not heard much input, but I really think that's because people were please last year and just figure you'll do a great job again. I think that once you settle on an image, people will be able to give you more input about details like 3-D design and so forth.

I still need Tracy's input on the image. We've been dealing with sick kids, no internet and other nongeocaching issues.

How would everyone feel about a trackable coin being available to everyone, and a nontrackable coin available to Indiana residents only?

Sounds okay to me.