Indiana 06 Geocoin

Team Tecmage

Wow I didn't even know we had a coin. Is there a way to get ahold of past coins? Are these going to be for sale?

+1 to this.

I am new to caching and would like to aquire the Indiana coins. I already have the Indiana micro (with the basketball on one side. What else is there and where can I get them?

Coins and Pins minted 750 numbered coins this time last year. We didn't have tracking numbers or an icon last year. The original intent was to use this image as the obverse a few times, and change the reverse image every coin.

680d3359-9378-4695-b061-1cf3a9bcb521.jpg

This year's run should probably be bigger. I've gotten emails and phone calls from people wanting to buy some.

indiana2.jpg

Sorry guys but the actual coin is difficult to get a good image from becuase of the chrome finish.

This year's run should probably be bigger. I've gotten emails and phone calls from people wanting to buy some.

:D Be careful in making that assumption. The days of the geocoin buying frenzy are long gone. I would hope that this would be one of the stronger, more meaningful projects out there though. :D

I could care less about tracking or icons.

Edited by Rupert2

Let's see...Wasn't your original idea to focus each year on a different part of Indiana history?

You did covered bridges for 2005.

The Wabash and Erie Canal theme would be a good theme related to Indiana.

So would the Buffalo Trace

The state icons might be an interesting idea for one year--perhaps four of them in outline shown on the open caching symbol.

Mention of the states first residents might be cool --Tecumsah etc. (Though I'd probably avoid the removal of the Potawatomi )

Free blacks in Indiana and the history of the underground railroad would be good. There is an initiative to create a series of historic markers for known sites. There are many sites like the Levi Coffin House already designated historic sites.

Of course, railroad history in general is tied to Indiana. Many small towns owe their existence to the railways.

I am sure better minds than mine can come up with more clever ideas.

Are you suggesting a series of coins?

No, only one.

Let's see...Wasn't your original idea to focus each year on a different part of Indiana history?

You did covered bridges for 2005.

Yes, but I believe we did not limit it to history (although my personal preference would be to stick with stick to that).

I really like the Buffalo Trace, Tecumsah and the Underground Railroad ideas.

Rupert! Good to hear from you. Are you suggesting a series of coins?

What do you think of the idea of having some limited edition metals or coins? MIGO and Texas put out two to four coins a year.

I also think that having one metal just for Indiana residents might be nice. I know we would buy one each for ourselves and still buy more coins in the other metal to use as swag, etc.

I don't care about tracking and so forth, but I realize others do. Personally, I would like to see the price stay reasonable because I like to see them actually get put into caches for others to find. I think the big rush to collect every coin ever made is just about over anyway.

What do you think of the idea of having some limited edition metals or coins? MIGO and Texas put out two to four coins a year.

I also think that having one metal just for Indiana residents might be nice. I know we would buy one each for ourselves and still buy more coins in the other metal to use as swag, etc.

I don't care about tracking and so forth, but I realize others do. Personally, I would like to see the price stay reasonable because I like to see them actually get put into caches for others to find. I think the big rush to collect every coin ever made is just about over anyway.

I hear you guys loud and clear on costs and prices. There are plenty of coins out there selling in the $9-10 range. We produced a great coin at a great price last year. I would like to have tracking on the coin, but tracking costs $1.50/coin (minimum $750 for the coin issue), and the icon is $150. Without any changes save the year and design of the reverse, we'll probably be at last year's price- $4/coin. If we made major changes we might end up at $6-8/coin. I'm guessing partly because we haven't settled on a design, partly because Aaron and Tess are out of town and Coins and Pins no longer has their pricing online, and partly because we don't know how many coins we would order. Production costs change at 300, 500 and 1000 coins.

I hear you guys loud and clear on costs and prices. There are plenty of coins out there selling in the $9-10 range. We produced a great coin at a great price last year. I would like to have tracking on the coin, but tracking costs $1.50/coin (minimum $750 for the coin issue), and the icon is $150. Without any changes save the year and design of the reverse, we'll probably be at last year's price- $4/coin. If we made major changes we might end up at $6-8/coin. I'm guessing partly because we haven't settled on a design, partly because Aaron and Tess are out of town and Coins and Pins no longer has their pricing online, and partly because we don't know how many coins we would order. Production costs change at 300, 500 and 1000 coins.

I wasn't here last year but that sounds like a great price! I will definitely get a couple!

I don't really care (but I know others do) about tracking coins and icons. I don't plan to release any coins. It seems that too many get pocketed, so I don't plan to subsidize the coin collections of others. The only coin I plan to track is the one I keep in my pocket to let cachers I meet "discover" so that I can track the people I meet in this great hobby. That being said I will catch and release all trackable items I find. Their purpose is to be passed from cache to cache, so I will honor the wishes of their owners

I also don't care (but I know others do) about trying to collect all the other coins. I just wanna buy the few that interest me. I of course want any Indiana coins, since I am a Hoosier first and foremost. I saw a cool lighthouse coin of a pair of lighthouses I have seen, so I'd like that one. And there are probably a few more that appeal to me for various reasons.

I don't care to (but I know others do) aquire a coin in every variation of metal available, but do like the idea of one metal available only to Hoosiers.

When it comes to coins (metal or wooden) I don't plan to trade. I will only distribute my geonickels by dropping them in caches I find and will only aquire ones I find in caches. The only exceptions to this are the ones I am sending to the two kind people that helped me design my avatar and design my geonickel.

I know this was a long winded post, but just wanted to put my thoughts out there!

So, does anyone have a spare Indiana coin from last year they'd care to sell?

If we do a special metal for Hoosiers only, then it should be limited to one per address (not caching name since some families have a caching name for each person in their household). That way they would less likely end up on Ebay.

We could ask for reservations from the locals to see how many of the special metal ones we would need and say we got 185 reservations then order 200 of the special metals (for the late commers) and then finish off an order of 1000.

Since the price of metals run about the same the special coin wouldn't have to cost any more than the regular. Christian at oakcoins does a great job and his prices are great.

Edited by 501_Gang

If we do a special metal for Hoosiers only, then it should be limited to one per address (not caching name since some families have a caching name for each person in their household). That way they would less likely end up on Ebay.

We could ask for reservations from the locals to see how many of the special metal ones we would need and say we got 185 reservations then order 200 of the special metals (for the late commers) and then finish off an order of 1000.

Since the price of metals run about the same the special coin wouldn't have to cost any more than the regular. Christian at oakcoins does a great job and his prices are great.

Good idea. Limit one special per Indiana address. We could use addresses based on payment (money order, check, paypal). Last year, there was about a 10% difference in reservations and payments. It turns out that 10% would have sold, but payments is our most accurate method of ordering.

I want to vent (in general, not at anyone here!) about silliness like that.

If we do a special metal for Hoosiers only, I would want a coin and my beloved husband would want his own coin too. We aren't really big into collecting geocoins, but we do like to get the local ones. We rarely buy coins--I think we may own a grand total of twenty. We have never sold a coin. We don't even have our own coin to trade yet (Mostly because I can't think of anything clever enough to be worth minting).

But nooooooo, we can't get a coin apiece, because some people have been greedy and sold the coins on eBay or some such for profit. And other fools pay for them when they pop up.

The same thing happened to me with a bracelet I used to have. I inheirited some jewelry from a great aunt --Actually my branch of the family was inadvertantly ommitted from her will because my grandfather died before the aunt, and her will said his name and didn't say "or his estate" --and at that time, you have to be specifically named in a will to inheirit in that state ---but her ladies circle had been left her personal belongings and they were good enough to give me her jewelry. Included in that was a set of jewelry just like this:

dabce5a2-8ad5-47f2-a4a6-71444c7e9ace.jpg

I was still too young to wear a set like that and my mother hated it. My neighbor liked it though, enough that she stole the bracelet from me. I still have the earrings, and I wear them a lot. I would buy another like it, but somehow, stuff like this has gotten popular on eBay and people bid hundreds of doallars for "old lady" jewelry. I bid thirty dollars on a broken bracelet like this one day and someone outbid me on it! Now mind you, I LOOOOOVE those earrings and nothing would make me happier than to be able to wear the set, but I am not spending that much money on old glass jewelry.

End of rant. I feel better. Sorry for whining. Sorry to go off topic. Really, I apologize.

Coins. Yes, I suppose if you hold it down to just one per household they won't end up being sold for a small fortune on eBay.

I agree with the lovely and talented Neos2. If a special metal coin for residents only were available, I would like to have one of my very own. After all I am a resident and of all the coins we have, only 1 has ever left our possesion and it was given as a gift at a Christmas party.

Team Neos, thanks for the feedback. We can do as many LE coins as people want, one per addy, or something in between. We're kicking around ideas, and everyone that has an opinion should speak up.

Well, JAPTKD and I would have the same opinion as Team Neos. We would like to each get a coin (ok, so we only own about 12 coins total between the two of us right now) if there was a special Indiana metal. Would it be possible to either limit it at 2 per addy (just for the special metal) or to limit it (again, just the special metal) to one per gc account? I know - then you run the risk of sock puppets, but I'm trying to think of a compromise, so that you don't have unlimited purchases (and the rising prices), but so that husband-wife/ roommate-roommate/ significant other-significant other/ etc pairs have a chance at each getting one. I'm sure someone likely has a caching family, and could make the argument for more than 2 (thus the "one per gc account" idea).

Team Neos, thanks for the feedback. We can do as many LE coins as people want, one per addy, or something in between. We're kicking around ideas, and everyone that has an opinion should speak up.

Well, JAPTKD and I would have the same opinion as Team Neos. We would like to each get a coin (ok, so we only own about 12 coins total between the two of us right now) if there was a special Indiana metal. Would it be possible to either limit it at 2 per addy (just for the special metal) or to limit it (again, just the special metal) to one per gc account? I know - then you run the risk of sock puppets, but I'm trying to think of a compromise, so that you don't have unlimited purchases (and the rising prices), but so that husband-wife/ roommate-roommate/ significant other-significant other/ etc pairs have a chance at each getting one. I'm sure someone likely has a caching family, and could make the argument for more than 2 (thus the "one per gc account" idea).

Payment addy is the easiest to work with- paypal, check or money order work well. Again we can do whatever the group wants.

You could always do the first state capitol (Corydon) or something to do with the Vincennes history.

Don't hurt me to bad with a GA city because I lived most of my life in Indiana. I graduated high school (South Putnam) and college (Vincennes) before I moved to KY then GA. I finally got my sister in Greencastle to start caching so you all better watch out :P

I know this has probably been run into the ground but you have a famous racetrack.

Do a circus coin (Peru's famous circus) BTW... thats where my wife was born :laughing: Peru not the circus :lol:

Pigs ... lots of pigs. ... and racecars.

Better yet! Pigs in racecars! There's a winner!

Um, it's not working for me. 2c593fe6-65c1-4693-9da9-f9d87e65e1b6.jpg

Yea but people would buy it.

it's so bad it's cool :)B)

Put me down for 2.

I think we have a weiner!

Woo-woo! ... and for the flip side? .... Hmmmmmm

Pigs ... lots of pigs. ... and racecars.

Better yet! Pigs in racecars! There's a winner!

Um, it's not working for me. 2c593fe6-65c1-4693-9da9-f9d87e65e1b6.jpg

How much and when will the be available? B)

The sad thing is i would actually buy one of those.

How about requiring at least 25 finds in indiana on a GC account in order to order the special coin. Limits the sockpuppets considerably, i would think.

Thanks for listening to us Team Tecmage. I am sure it will work out.

How about the design? Did you have any ideas for a design? Did you think any of my ideas were interesting? You got any other ideas?

Anyone else?

After Torry's design, I REALLY like the Wabash & Erie Canal idea! B) Seriously, I've started looking for a good image of a barge being pulled by a mule or horse. Something that we could possibly use as our reverse side.

Anyone interested in having the reverse in 3D? It would add some more detail to the coin.

Coins and Pins minted 750 numbered coins this time last year. We didn't have tracking numbers or an icon last year. The original intent was to use this image as the obverse a few times, and change the reverse image every coin.

I like the idea of using the same reverse. It's a great design and would also help keep the cost down by recycling it.

I like the idea of using the same reverse. It's a great design and would also help keep the cost down by recycling it.

We're keeping the obverse the same. Last year, the reverse was the bridge which was cut into the coin surface. I'm asking if we can find a good image for the reverse, would anyone mind if it was 3D as well.

We're keeping the obverse the same. Last year, the reverse was the bridge which was cut into the coin surface. I'm asking if we can find a good image for the reverse, would anyone mind if it was 3D as well.

Sounds great to me!

If you are looking for ideas still, there's a great canal boat in Metamora. It's featured in this cache.

I like the 3-D effect.

I suppose it would depend on whether you can run down a nice clean image. I've seen some images of mule teams hauling canal boats, but they are all pretty busy--lots of houses or town in the background, or people milling about watching, etc.

Of course the date will need to be changed, so the die will need to be changed, meaning a new die charge.

Of course the date will need to be changed, so the die will need to be changed, meaning a new die charge.

On the final design, the year is on the reverse. The image above is the first design, and I use it as our avi.

Edited by Team Tecmage

I guessed I should have looked at the coin first..my bad.

My vote is still for gc.com trackable coin, I would like to put a few in caches and watch them move.

Adds about $1.65 to the cost of each coin (if 1000 coins are minted, the $150 icon cost paid, and the $1.50 cost-per-coin fee is paid)--Did I figure that right? Does all that have to be paid up front? Will that slow down production until you get some magic number of preorders?

I had thought about drilling a hole in one of mine from last year and putting a TB tag on it. I've read in the coin forum that drilling a hole in the coin helps prevent coin collectors types from keeping it. Of course, if we made this year's coin trackable, having it already activated in my name would help that too. I figure it probably isn't as much fun to hang on to someone else's coin.

Maybe I shouldn't run my mouth about that part of this, though--I am just not manic about the coins like some people I know, but won't mention any names, :DJim :laughing: It really doesn't matter to me if they are trackable. If they cost more because they are trackable, I'll just buy a couple less than I would if they were less expensive, or pay more, whichever mood I'm in that day :laughing: Some people may not buy them because they cost more, but probably some people won't buy them if they aren't trackable--so that may even itself out?

Edited by Team Neos

You can still make a coin trackable and keep the price down low. There are way too many out there trying to make huge profits on their coins.

Too true! I'm still surprised at some of the prices out there. I admit to buying a couple of .999 Silver coins, but mainly $6-8 coins. I'd like to keep the price down on our coin (again).

Edited by Team Tecmage