Badandy Special Edition

BadAndy

I get in a fair amount of windshield time on my job and can come up with some wild ideas on those long drives. Today I came up with a not so wild, kinda cool idea. Bear with me as I try and explain.

As many of you know, I've always been an advocate of placing actual geocoins into caches. At last count I've released 72 trackable and about 40 non trackable geocoins into caches. This does not include the 50 plus coins belonging to other people that I've found and moved in caches. All that said, I can understand that many coin enthusiasts hesitate to place their coins into caches. Some have resorted to laminating photocopies of their coins and releasing them instead of the actual coins. Another common tactic is to purchase 2 of the same coin so they can have one in their collection and release one into a cache. My idea feeds off this last solution.

I'm down to my last half dozen BadAndy coins and was about to have some gold LE coins minted for my personal use (There were only the standard silver coins minted on the first run). What I'm considering doing instead is the following...

Having a limited run of 50 sets of coins. Each set will consist of 2 coins, one gold and the other silver. The same dies as the first run will be used on all sets and both coins in the set will be engraved with identical tracking numbers (Groundspeak has already approved of this). The gold coin is intended to be kept as a limited edition for your collection. The silver coin will be prominantly and permanantly stamped "COPY" (as in travelbug tags) and is intended for release into the wild. The cost will be approximately $13.00 for the set, including all shipping/handling (this is basically my cost).

In an attempt to keep them off ebay, I will limit the number of orders to 1 set per cacher. I'll also place a disclaimer that if these coins are ever resold, they MUST be sold as a matched set (if the copy coin is already released it would have to be adopted out to the new owner).

I am basically testing the waters to see if this will reduce the laminate/hoarding angst in the geocoin circles and get more coins into caches.

This is not an order thread as I don't have firm pricing yet, but I would appreciate feedback/criticism on the idea itself. Who knows...maybe I'm the only one who thinks it's a good idea.

I'll pass, not a cool idea... $13 for a set of coins is WAAAAAY too expensive.

Not! I really do think I'd be interested in getting a set... I've always wanted to release a coin and this could be my entry into it

Having a limited run of 50 sets of coins. Each set will consist of 2 coins, one gold and the other silver. The same dies as the first run will be used on all sets and both coins in the set will be engraved with identical tracking numbers (Groundspeak has already approved of this). The gold coin is intended to be kept as a limited edition for your collection. The silver coin will be prominantly and permanantly stamped "COPY" (as in travelbug tags) and is intended for release into the wild. The cost will be approximately $13.00 for the set, including all shipping/handling (this is basically my cost).

This is not an order thread as I don't have firm pricing yet, but I would appreciate feedback/criticism on the idea itself. Who knows...maybe I'm the only one who thinks it's a good idea.

Sounds like a great idea to this complete newbie :unsure:

BadAndy coins are COOOOL, :unsure: and well worth $13.00 for a set of two. We think this is an excellent idea, as we usually fall into the category of buying two of each coin, one for us to keep, and one to trade or set free into the wild. Even though we have purchased or traded for several BadAndy coins in the past, we would gladly buy the proposed set.

This is a really cool idea. I am not sure, it will do much to keep coins off ebay, but I bet it will work to get more coins traveling . . . .. maybe. Though I think realistically, the idea of restricting the sale is not likely to be effective.

I am in for a set

I'm actually not against selling coins on ebay. It just makes me feel weird when I see *my* coins there. Maybe it's because seeing my face in an ebay auction unsettles me. I know it sounds hypocritical, but it's how I feel. I may waffle on the 1 set per cacher limit and I certainly would not badmouth anyone who did resell them on ebay as long as they remained a matched set.

Splitting the set and selling them seperate would cause nothing but trouble for the buyer and seller as they both have the same tracking number. It would be the same as releasing a travelbug, then selling the copy to another cacher...bad karma all the way around (unless the seller adopted out the second tag/coin to the buyer)

Why only 50 sets? That would increase the "collectability" of the coins making them less likely to be released into caches and more likely to be found for sale on eBay! I like the price and the "set" idea. How about unlimited sets and the stipulation that the gold would be kept and the silver released?

Having said that, I would still release one if I got one of the 50 sets. :unsure:

Edited by Team 5150

I think its a great idea, Would like a set, but would want the silver coin at home :unsure: Just a preferance to metal types,, I'll be in for a set or two !!

Also agreed that they should have a higher production number so they will encourage coins in the wild, If limited to 50 coins will end up as just another collectable and not released, and resold on a market place.. BRAVO for the concept !!! Glenn

Edited by glennk721

Why only 50 sets? That would increase the "collectability" of the coins making them less likely to be released into caches and more likely to be found for sale on eBay! I like the price and the "set" idea. How about unlimited sets and the stipulation that the gold would be kept and the silver released?

Having said that, I would still release one if I got one of the 50 sets. :unsure:

Good questions and I'll be honest here.

I initially set it at 50 sets for 2 reasons. First and foremost is that there were 500 silver coins minted in the initial run last December. Even though these will include a gold LE in each set and the price is at cost, there are already many BadAndy coins in collections (granted, there are many more collecters since these sold out in early Jan).

Secondly, if I went with a larger run it would take much more time to sell out. This would lead to one of 2 scenarios. The first being that buyers would have to wait an extended period of time before they got their coins (images of the wyoming coin come to mind). The second is that I'd have to fund this out of pocket and I'm not in a position to shell out a few thousand dollars at this point.

I'm confidant that by limiting it to 50 sets they will sellout in a couple days and could be delivered in as few as 3 weeks. If I'm wrong and they don't sellout fast, I could still afford to pay up after a couple days and fund the project myself.

By stamping the more common silver coin with "COPY", I'm confidant that it will be placed in a cache. The Gold edition would indeed be collectable.

It's my hope that this technique of combining an LE edition with a dedicated traveller coin will catch on with more coin producers, leading to more coins in caches. Thats my goal. I could very easily have just had a short run of LE gold coins for my own use as I originally intended, but I want to test this plan. If it works out I hope others follow suit.

I missed out on your coins the first time around since I started in March of this year and would have loved to buy some but can't. I have no idea of what happened with the Wyoming coins but from what you said it must have been something along the lines of an excruciating wait to get the coins? How about this idea? Put on a prepay presale for one month. The out of pocket would be reduced and the people that want the coins would have a better chance of getting them. I have no problem paying first and if I knew that I would get my coins at a certain date I wouldn't mind waiting.

I have no idea of what happened with the Wyoming coins but from what you said it must have been something along the lines of an excruciating wait to get the coins?

Some people who paid for the Wyoming coin many many many months ago still have not recieved them. It was and remains a festering boil on the buttocks of geocoin sales.

How about this idea? Put on a prepay presale for one month. ....I have no problem paying first and if I knew that I would get my coins at a certain date I wouldn't mind waiting.

You sound like a very patient person.

I'm not comfortable asking people who trust me to wait it out. My goal will be 3 weeks (max) from payment to delivery. To many people, even 3 weeks is a stretch and after seeing some of the sales gone awry on these forums, I can't blame them a bit.

If the support seems to be there, I may extend the number of sets. The final limit will be carved in stone before I accept a penny from anyone.

I have no idea of what happened with the Wyoming coins but from what you said it must have been something along the lines of an excruciating wait to get the coins?

Some people who paid for the Wyoming coin many many many months ago still have not recieved them. It was and remains a festering boil on the buttocks of geocoin sales.

How about this idea? Put on a prepay presale for one month. ....I have no problem paying first and if I knew that I would get my coins at a certain date I wouldn't mind waiting.

You sound like a very patient person.

I'm not comfortable asking people who trust me to wait it out. My goal will be 3 weeks (max) from payment to delivery. To many people, even 3 weeks is a stretch and after seeing some of the sales gone awry on these forums, I can't blame them a bit.

If the support seems to be there, I may extend the number of sets. The final limit will be carved in stone before I accept a penny from anyone.

That's fair. You have more experience/knowledge in this than I do. Please, whatever happens, put me on the list for a set! :unsure:

Put me on your list for 2 please....great idea.

Jaybee, count me in for one of your two! Ha! :unsure:

But seriously, this seems like a long drive's thoughts put to good use. I like the idea, and should make for a great precedent for coins yet to come.

Keep us (me) updated with times and pricing and such, and you can count me in for a set...I think... :D

Great idea!

Just remember that when you collect payment, PayPal seems to be getting notified of random sales that people report.

So, as someone else mentioned, you could sell BadAndy postcards that get mailed right after payment. And note that each postcard will get two free coins to be delivered later. :D

Wow BA thats a very very kewl idea I am all for getting the coins into caches, I am down for 1 or 2 or 3 for sure I can also pre-pay to assit in your start up cost.

-TJ

P.S. Thanks for all the coins you have set free in our area I have found a few and really enjoy them especially the last BA I found :D

A great idea! We're definitely in :D While we've not had much trouble with coins disappearing, we know that the problem is real; this seems like a fair attempt at trying to get around it. We tend to keep one of the geocoins that we really like, so this fits in perfectly with our pattern. And if you decide to charge an extra couple of bucks per set to cover your time (which is valuable, too), it's fine with us! We say, Go For It!!

Personally I don't think it's really going to change much. The issue is people will do as they will, regardless.

Those who put coins in caches will continue to do so, those who collect will put their matched set on the shelf, those who steal them out of caches will put their half matched set on the shelf. People will still sell collections, and so on.

Sets will be rarer than half sets and so worth more in the aftermarket. Especially if they were split up and one coin is beat up from traveling or just missing.

Just remember that when you collect payment, PayPal seems to be getting notified of random sales that people report.

So, as someone else mentioned, you could sell BadAndy postcards that get mailed right after payment. And note that each postcard will get two free coins to be delivered later. :laughing:

This is a legit concern though my sense is that in the cases where PP has frozen the account it was a new account. Since he has sold before without complaints, I suspect it will be a non issue.