Gpsbabel Now Converts Ng Topo Track Files!

Robert didn't mention this in his recent post. I don't think this feature was in previous non-beta versions. Its something many of us have waited for a long time.

I'm so excited that I even posted about it in this article...Convert National Geographic TOPO (.tpo) files. I hope to follow up in a few days with some examples of just how useful this is.

Rich Owings

www.MakeYourOwnMaps.com

www.GPStracklog.com

“We were desert mystics, my friends and I, poring over our maps as others do their holy books.” – Edward Abbey

Thanx for noticing and for the plug. I tried to strike a balance between the announcement being comprehensive and being comprehensible. From the response on the announcement here, I was wondering just this weekend if I'd stricken the right balance...

The NG Topo thing is indeed mentioned indirectly in that post. It's in the big list of changes though True Babel-heads will notice that even that list is only about 20% of the actual changes! It turns out that supporting over 100 formats and about as many GPS receivers on three operating systems is harder than it sounds.

P.S. it was Curt Mills (a search-and-rescue planner, IIRC) and not Alex Mottram (a geocacher) that did this round of NG work.

The latest download patch available for Topo is said to convert freehand lines into tracks as well as import/export in GPX format. This provides another option for translating the files.

I'm using v 4.2.2 and can't get TOPO to export a useable .gpx track file, either from GPS collected data or from a hand drawn line.

Rich Owings

www.MakeYourOwnMaps.com

www.GPStracklog.typepad.com

“We were desert mystics, my friends and I, poring over our maps as others do their holy books.” – Edward Abbey

I'm using v 4.2.2 and can't get TOPO to export a useable .gpx track file, either from GPS collected data or from a hand drawn line.

I'm using NG Topo v.4.2.2 also, and what I have been able to do is use GPSBabel v.1.3.0 to open and convert my .tpo files that I've either created by hand drawing, or have downloaded from my Map60Cx, and saved as .tpo files , to .gpx track files. It works like a charm.

I hope to follow up in a few days with some examples of just how useful this is.

I've posted the update, which goes into how to separate out the track segments. Now you can all see what a mess some of my older maps are!

Rich Owings

www.MakeYourOwnMaps.com

www.GPStracklog.com