When Is An Area Considered Saturated?

I've got a few caches around my home area (Bury) now, and obviously there are quite a few other caches around here too. I've got a couple more really nice locations in mind, not too far away from home, but when is enough enough? Can there be too many caches in an area, and what sort of density does that represent? If somewhere is a really good spot, should it be passed up because it's not very far from existing caches? Should efforts be made to find areas a little further afield that are relatively cache free?

I'm confused (not unusual) :laughing:

I personally don't think there is any such thing as cache saturation - we love areas where there are lots of caches as we now have to travel quite a way to find caches we've not done so concentrations of caches save on the driving and mean we get more walking and caching in.

As long as you have places in mind you think are interesting and that others will enjoy it you should just go for it :laughing:

Bury is a great area for caches and is no where near saturated. I agree with Bolas Heathens that it is great to be able to sort out a walkable route where there are a number of caches in a reaonable area than to have to drive between every cache.

There are probably quite a few suitable area's in Burrs Country park alone before stretching slightly further afield.

There is also a nice area not far away turning left just after Tesco's but I can't remember the name of the area. My son has ran cross country there a couple of times and there is a nice walk up the far side of the large field that would be ideal for placing caches.

You keep placing them and I'll keep looking for them. :laughing:

Keith (Geotrotters)

Can i also suggest Rose thorn that you have a read of an old thread i started at the start of the year!

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...opic=118180&hl=

See what you think

I think you have placed two caches since starting that thread, granted one of them is 9 days out of your 6 month ban period. Don't you think it is slightly hypocritical bringing this up again when you wanted a BAN but have still placed caches yourself? Please don't take that the wrong way, if you want to place caches then go ahead, all the more in my opinion. But don't place them and still harp on about a ban being introduced!

Can i also suggest Rose thorn that you have a read of an old thread i started at the start of the year!

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...opic=118180&hl=

See what you think

I think you have placed two caches since starting that thread, granted one of them is 9 days out of your 6 month ban period. Don't you think it is slightly hypocritical bringing this up again when you wanted a BAN but have still placed caches yourself? Please don't take that the wrong way, if you want to place caches then go ahead, all the more in my opinion. But don't place them and still harp on about a ban being introduced!

Not at all.

At the end of the day, yes i have placed 2 caches since this topic one 6 days ago, and the other a nano (which is no longer there). This second one was placed 4 months into the 6 month proposed time zone, and so NO i dont feel hypocritical by bringing it back up. This post was asking about when saturation points are reached. This is a perfectly facty based argument which could help the poster understand other points of view.

Having spoken to a few cachers at events (who do not post on forums), they agree - especially at lincoln bash, that maybe it is/was time for a placing ban.

I don't understand the logic of a caching ban and have not seen any decent reasons why anyone would want one (unless I've missed something really obvious - would not be the first time :D ).

If someone thinks there are too many caches, just ignore the extra ones and do the ones you want to do. Those that will appreciate the new caches will carry on as they are, enjoying their hobby.

We all play the game differently and that's a positive thing.

Bring them on - we LOVE finding new caches and really appreciate the time and effort that has gone into them.

Edited by The Bolas Heathens

As long they are good caches we dont mind how many there are and variety does make a difference.

We dont enjoy certain types of cache and hence avoid these as John says you don't have to do them all.

Its a case of saying to yourself i dont mind having unfound caches close to home and not thinking in "must clear the local" area terms.

Of course by saying the above i am moving off topic and into "cache quality" territory.

Cache saturation is allready defined by GC as 0.1 miles and no power trails are allowed. An issue here is that people new to the sport want to place caches just see what its like to own one rather than find one as many good spots are allready taken by older caches they look for the next best thing.

Before long we will have magnetic micros in wal mart parking lots just like in the USA, perhaps we should look to archiving older caches to make the locations available for the newer cachers ??