Extracting Data

Bambography

I've started a Travel Bug race with my parents and I was wanting to create my own web page showing the race as it goes.

Is there any ways or coding that can extract mileage and location information from the geocaching website that can be incorporated into my own site? If so, is this allowed under the website rules with or without a reference/copyright notice?

Any help would be much appreciacte!

Chris (Bambography)

If you go to the bug page, you can download a .kml for it (clicking view in Google Earth actually just downloads a .kml file). If you can't deal with a .kml you might be able to use GPSBabel to get it into a form you can deal with. If your not familiar with GPSBabel (I'm oversimplifying here) just imagine it as a translator between different formats. You should be able to extract a .gpx or even just a text listing of coord's doing it that way.

Maybe a couple times a day you could "grab" the .kml...

The .kml files seem to be directly accessible (does this violate the terms of use?? Jeremy?? Anyone??)

Ex:

http://www.geocaching.com/kml/tbkml.aspx?t...34-f77a0903f5bf

Have your script download that maybe a couple times a day, then run that through GPSBabel to get whatever output you need that will feed into the next step of creating a map or whatever it is that your doing on your web page.

Edited by Potato Finder