Problems With Explorist 500

I just bought a Magellan eXplorist 500. The problem is that it didn't come preloaded with a base map or anything. It was a brand new unit. I have tried Magellans tech support and they are completely worthless. I upgraded the firmware thinking it may have an updated basemap but now I get a map security error when I turn it on. I bought one of the MapSend programs thinking that I would be able to use it but it still won't work without the basemap. I have sent numerous emails to Magellan about the problem and I still haven't herd from them. I also contacted the store I bought it from to see if they could replace it, but if someone knows how to fix this it would sure save me a headache. Thanks, Jeff

Missing basemap? That's odd.

Are you in the US? Where did you get the GPS? Perhaps you've bought a European model so the unit has not basemap for where you live.

Also, try this: Menu-->Preferences-->Active Setup. Under "Background Maps" should read "BASEMAP."

I've not heard of this problem... and I'm not sure what to suggest. I think you can download the basemap from Yahoo! groups, but if the GPS came from the store without a basemap, I'd be concerned about other problems and would recommend you exchange for a different unit.

Where'd you buy it?

Jamie

I'm in the US. In Active Setup it has BASEMAP for Background map. When I click on it to change it it says loading and freezes. I have to take the battery out to restart. When I go to the file system it doesn't have anything in any of the folders for the unit. I bought it from a pricegrabber storefront. They have really good reviews so I hope they'll work this out for me. Everything else seems to work. It will pick up sats and all that stuff. Thanks for the quick replies

The basemap should be called BASEMAP.MGI and it is in the internal memory background maps folder. It is a systems file and also hidden, you would have to change the folder properties to be able to view it.

If it's not practical to just exchange it, you can try (in this order if the first step(s) doesn't fix it:

1. Clear memory/all

2. Re-install/upgrade firmware

3. Erase basemap and install new one.

It sounds like maybe the basemap is corrupted...hard to say.

I've been working with someone who had their 600's basemap go south on him in this thread. There's lots of information about getting a new basemap in, but so far he's not been able to get his unit to recognize it.

I downloaded the basemap you had a link to in the other post. Followed the instructions and it worked perfectly. I turned it on and it asked if i wanted to make BASEMAP active. I hit OK and it loaded right up. Thank you so much for the help. I greatly appreciate it.

Well! That's the way it's *supposed* to work (although it's the first time I've been able to vicariously "participate" in a restore). We were having such difficulty with the referenced 600 that I was wondering if we were missing something obvious. It appears there's something flakey going on with his unit.

I downloaded the basemap you had a link to in the other post. Followed the instructions and it worked perfectly. I turned it on and it asked if i wanted to make BASEMAP active. I hit OK and it loaded right up. Thank you so much for the help. I greatly appreciate it.

Where exactly did you go to get your basemap.mgi file? Like was said, I'm having a heck of a time with mine! If you could also post step by step directions on how you made it work, that would be very helpful as well!!! :laughing:

Where exactly did you go to get your basemap.mgi file? Like was said, I'm having a heck of a time with mine! If you could also post step by step directions on how you made it work, that would be very helpful as well!!! :laughing:

http://www.rhamphorhinkx.ecohost.ru/maps/

I still have the preloaded basemap but get a "map Security error" when I try to load my mapsend topo map. I looked to see what happened if you put in a bad SN and it just doesn't even show up in the GPS so I dont think it is that. Any thoughts?

I have uploaded the firmware 2.03 but have not used the firmware cd the GPS came with and am hesitant to. Reason being it does not have the explorist model in the list f selections and states that you can corrupt your GPS if you load the wrong one.

I still have the preloaded basemap but get a "map Security error" when I try to load my mapsend topo map. I looked to see what happened if you put in a bad SN and it just doesn't even show up in the GPS so I dont think it is that. Any thoughts?

I have uploaded the firmware 2.03 but have not used the firmware cd the GPS came with and am hesitant to. Reason being it does not have the explorist model in the list f selections and states that you can corrupt your GPS if you load the wrong one.

You're original hunch probably still holds, despite your stab at empirical verification. In almost all instances, this error message is associated with a serial number mismatch. My guess here is that the bad serial number was so-o-o bad that it didn't even pass the first sniff test that the GPS made for validity.

Your instincts are serving you well on the CD firmwares...these firmwares are for older models such as Meridians and SporTraks. Magellan could be a little clearer in regards to whom they direct their dire warnings. SInce the Explorists are received with compatible firmwares installed, you needn't worry about updating (although I think the European "beta" has features worth taking on).

You're original hunch probably still holds, despite your stab at empirical verification. In almost all instances, this error message is associated with a serial number mismatch. My guess here is that the bad serial number was so-o-o bad that it didn't even pass the first sniff test that the GPS made for validity.

Your instincts are serving you well on the CD firmwares...these firmwares are for older models such as Meridians and SporTraks. Magellan could be a little clearer in regards to whom they direct their dire warnings. SInce the Explorists are received with compatible firmwares installed, you needn't worry about updating (although I think the European "beta" has features worth taking on).

Solved... part #, part PICNIC

You have to drop the first and last digit of the serial # from under the battery. I had a missing digit for a few of the uploads and that did not help with it.

Thanks for the help embra