Premium Members

that's a carpy thing to do. :D

Yep, that is truly carpy. In fact, it smells like carp. Good thing we didn't step in it. I sure would like to know who the 'premium user' was, I'd go knock the carp out of him/her.

Frankly, the only time I ever know who is and isn't a premium member is here in the forums, or when someone I'm caching with tells me that they can't log a find because it is "member's only". Otherwise, we are all just carp in the same stream of muddy waters.

It is highly likely that the 'newbie' will run into this so-called 'premium' idiot on the trail again, or at an event. Just make sure your friend is better educated in Geocache etiquette from this point forward. Chances are that the 'premium' idiot will have to explain themselves in a more public forum (not this one) in the future. Then they'll have to eat carp.

Carp-e TB, I say!

I am uneasy with this story, it doesn't sound right. This sounds like a "the reviewer wouldn't approve my cache" story. I am reserving judgement until the PM tells us his/her side...

Yup.

None of us participating in this discussion (so far) were actually present when the alleged social transgression took place. Who knows for sure what the actual circumstances were?

Besides, everyone knows that being a PM isn't what dictates your status around here. Rank is based on your forum post count.

:D

Great, now we're trolling for trolls... suspicion runs rampant! Everyone! Hide your women and children!

Me thinks thou shouldst turn down the troll-detection radar...

In the American deserts, there are many dangerous critters living under the rocks. How do you navigate the desert safely? Don't turn over every rock!

Sheesh. Do us premium members with five-years or more under our belts have to tell you noobs everything? :D:D:D

Or, for *five* dollars per month, you can be a Gold Member. Now, unlike mere premium members, a Gold Member *is* superior. It's by invitation only, for starters. And you get neat additional features, like a forum spellchecker so that you spell "accurate" accurately.

Hell, I'd pay extra for THAT! :D

Once you become a Gold Member, my advice is, do NOT let your membership lapse. I had a mixup with PayPal and my Gold Membership did not auto-renew. The next thing you know, there is a guy named Vinny sitting in a van in my driveway, wanting to take back my toothless helper monkey. I was beside myself for weeks until I got Mr. Bubbles back. I am shaking just by thinking about it.

Edited by The Leprechauns

The next thing you know, there is a guy named Vinny sitting in a van in my driveway, wanting to take back my toothless helper monkey. I was beside myself for weeks until I got Mr. Bubbles back. I am shaking just by thinking about it.

Wow, they allow toothless helper monkeys named Mr. Bubbles in Pennsylvania?

The thought of a toothless monkey gives me the shakes.... does he smile often?

Don't bring him to California. The next thing you know he'll be insisting on his right to vote, collect social security and you'll have to pay extra taxes in order to feed and cloth him (I'm assuming he wears clothes?). Now THAT is a scary prospect...

The next thing you know, there is a guy named Vinny sitting in a van in my driveway, wanting to take back my toothless helper monkey. I was beside myself for weeks until I got Mr. Bubbles back. I am shaking just by thinking about it.

Don't bring him to California. The next thing you know he'll be insisting on his right to vote, collect social security and you'll have to pay extra taxes in order to feed and cloth him (I'm assuming he wears clothes?). Now THAT is a scary prospect...

Bubbles has had all his shots, and I have his pedigree papers. He is not one of those undocumented toothless helper monkeys that I hear about on the news.

In any event, the wonderful geocaching benefits of having a toothless helper monkey have a long history here in the forums. I believe the secret was first let out of the bag way back in 2002. Other early examples can be found here and here. And even Goofus and Gallant have one.

Unfortunately, not all Gold Members are good at keeping the membership benefits a secret. The first rule of Gold Membership is that you don't talk about Gold Membership. Oops, I guess I just did.

"Premium Members, do they really think they are better then non-premium members?"

Some probably do think that, most premium members likely do not.

It is sad this type of thing happened to you, but I certainly would not generalize PMs based on this experience. Nor would I generalize any geocachers based on any one encounter.

The fact remains that there are those who think they are better than others regardless of their membership status on a web site. There are also those that have many privileges and perhaps even "power" (as perceived by others), and excercise enormous humility and are down-to-earth (I think of several revewiers in this case).

So, what's your point? Geocaching, like life, has many good things, and sometimes some bad things. It is what you focus on and how you treat others that makes the difference on how it affects you.

Edited by Jeep_Dog

"Premium Members, do they really think they are better then non-premium members?"

No

There was a second question asked in the original post:

"now, I know alot of cachers, premium, non-premium, and to me we/they are all the same in person, no one is better then everyone else, or has that changed?"

I'm a little confused. Interesting though this topic may be, we have ONE alleged incident of a PM doing something wrong to ONE non-PM. From there we get to a forum post which questions all PM's egos and attitudes. We then move on to asking if things have changed and PMs ARE better. That's quite a leap.

I agree that if it is true, it was extremely bad behavior; but it is folly to extrapolate evil into all PMs based on one incident. BTW, in other threads where someone mentions a problem, there are tons of "me too" examples to illustrate and support the point. I don't see that here.

However, I am concerned about Charter Members.

The non-premium (who was there first) was scanning through the cache ( a ammo box) when he/she saw there first travel bug, just then the premium member, snatched it out of the box, and to make a long story short, used the excuse of being a premium as being the one who was "supposed, and intitled to" take the bug.

That is just wrong on so many levels. I personally think the name and handle of the dork who used that premium member line should be posted for public scorn and humiliation.

Bubbles has had all his shots, and I have his pedigree papers. He is not one of those undocumented toothless helper monkeys that I hear about on the news.

In any event, the wonderful geocaching benefits of having a toothless helper monkey have a long history here in the forums. I believe the secret was first let out of the bag way back in 2002. Other early examples can be found here and here. And even Goofus and Gallant have one.

Unfortunately, not all Gold Members are good at keeping the membership benefits a secret. The first rule of Gold Membership is that you don't talk about Gold Membership. Oops, I guess I just did.

Looks some of us other Gold Members are going to have a secret meeting to decide the Leprechaun's fate. :D

If I ran into that guy, I'd pull my charter member rank on him and grab the bug :D .

I could have been a charter member but I didn't pay the 30 bucks right away. By the time I realized my blunder it was too late and I could only gain the rank of premium member. :D Luckily we only have a few charter members that can take a TB from me around here..... :D

Seriously, that's one of the sillier things I've heard. People with self-esteem issues will use anything to make them feel superior to another person. Even something as insignificant as being a member of some dumb website. I think the scientific name for these kinds of people is "jerkazoid".

I agree that the guy was rude! Also I am a bit shocked to learn that I have been paying 30 bucks every year for a "dumb website!" :D:D

not that this one pm screw up, affects totally how I feel about pm's, but I was close to becomeing a pm. but if this rudness, disrespectful,ignorent, and just plan old selfishness behavior, and aggression continues, I may have to rethink the whole pm decision.

(spelling?) sorry

---------------->codeman

not that this one pm screw up, affects totally how I feel about pm's, but I was close to becomeing a pm. but if this rudness, disrespectful,ignorent, and just plan old selfishness behavior, and aggression continues, I may have to rethink the whole pm decision.

Don't let it get to you. There are jerks everywhere you go.

Become a PM if you think the bennies are worth $30 a year.

I just dont want to be in the POSSIBLE "bad crowd" if this really does continue, which I hope and pray it will not

(spelling?) sorry

---------------->codeman

I don't understand how a single encounter with a rude person who happens to be a premium member would even remotely cause you to believe that the behavior might be rampant among premium members.

Do you really think the act of paying $30 turns someone into a rude, inconsiderate person? A rude and inconsiderate person will be rude and inconsiderate regardless if they pay money to a silly website.

What will you do if you happen if you run into a rude isrespectful, ignorant, and just plan old selfishness regular member?

Edited by briansnat

What behavior are you concerned about? Your story, even if completely accurate, shows nothing more than one person being rude to another. It should be obvious that judging a group from the actions of a random individual is fool-hardy at best.

I have largely been away from the fray of the geo forums for almost two weeks, due to being involved in a major development project in my laboratory, but I felt that I must step in here to say that I feel that Trinity's Crew hit the nail on the head. Thank you for saying it so well! Yes, OP, you happened to encounter a very rude and very greedy geocacher on the trail, but his behavior had nothing at all to do with being a premium member, but -- as my dear departed mother would have said in her sniffy snotty tone -- rather everything to do with being a rude and greedy person. If you must generalize from this person's behavior about what all premium members must be like, well then, sounds to me like you were kinda bored and decided to go trolling on the day you wrote that post.

(spelling?) sorry

---------------->codeman

I don't understand how a single encounter with a rude person who happens to be a premium member would even remotely cause you to believe that the behavior might be rampant among premium members, or give you reason to reconsider becoming one.

Do you really think the act of paying $30 turns someone into a rude, inconsiderate person? A rude and inconsiderate person will be rude and inconsiderate regardless if they pay money to a silly website.

What will you do if you happen if you run into a rude isrespectful, ignorant, and just plan old selfishness regular member?

Become a PM

(spelling?) sorry

---------------->codeman

I just dont want to be in the POSSIBLE "bad crowd" if this really does continue, which I hope and pray it will not

the behavoir of thinking your better then everyone else because you pay 30$ of your hard earned money a month

I havn't really seen it anytwhere else, its just, if this what ever you wanna call it continues................

all of these posts, make me wonder if you have read a single other post in this thread. it should be obvious that this type of behavior is not the norm in geocaching.

your continued belief that it is, has me wondering what bridge you currently live under.

{snarkiness intended}

its like high school, if someone you know slips up once, every gets in trouble, its always like that, even the real world, I hated it, I still do, but its just how the world works, and now I see how everyone blams one rotten apple on the tree. its also like, anything, off the top of my head, one doctor in a hospital, scres up on a surgury because he was under the influence, then, the whole hospital gets sewed, am I right?

its like high school, if someone you know slips up once, every gets in trouble, its always like that, even the real world, I hated it, I still do, but its just how the world works, and now I see how everyone blams one rotten apple on the tree. its also like, anything, off the top of my head, one doctor in a hospital, scres up on a surgury because he was under the influence, then, the whole hospital gets sewed, am I right?

Don't you have to be old enough to attend high school before you can say what being in HS is like?

Yes, a person who screws up (even once, if the screw-up is big enough) may get a reputation for being a bad apple. But if that same person happens to be an accordian player should I question whether all accordian players are bad?

You must see that this is the logic you're using in your position. I hope you can also see the HUGE FLAW in it.

Edited by Trinity's Crew

Yes, a person who screws up (even once, if the screw-up is big enough) may get a reputation for being a bad apple. But if that same person happens to be an accordian player should I question whether all accordian players are bad?

I dont see how that connects with a PM thinking their intitled to something just because they are a PM??

If I am understanding right, your saying that he is a bad PM cacher, but a good person outside of GC??

So the best way to combat attitudes that you hate are to practice them yourself then?

If I were you, I'd hate my high school not for those attitudes, but rather for not teaching me some basic life skills like logic, spelling, grammar, and punctuation. :laughing:

Noooo... the Premium cacher that you used in your story displayed poor behavior and is probably a jerk in every aspect of his/her life. However, the fact that he/she happened to be a PM has NOTHING to do with the fact that they're a jerk.

Edit: For clarity, but I don't think it'll matter.

Edited by Trinity's Crew

(spelling?) sorry

---------------->codeman

I don't understand how a single encounter with a rude person who happens to be a premium member would even remotely cause you to believe that the behavior might be rampant among premium members.

I agree! Plus whatever happened to having a stiff upper lip? This is life folks! Some people are rude! You usually find that out when you are 5 years old and someone sticks gum in your hair. :laughing:

Edited by TrailGators

(spelling?) sorry

---------------->codeman

I agree! Plus whatever happened to having a stiff upper lip? This is life folks! Some people are rude! You usually find that out when you are 5 years old and someone sticks gum in your hair. :laughing:

Unless they are the one doing the gum sticking!

(spelling?) sorry

---------------->codeman

That was you? :D

I'm sorry. I swear I never did it again after that. :o

Really. I'm an entirely different person now. :)

(spelling?) sorry

---------------->codeman

I agree! Plus whatever happened to having a stiff upper lip? This is life folks! Some people are rude! You usually find that out when you are 5 years old and someone sticks gum in your hair. :)

I'm sorry. I swear I never did it again after that. :)

Really. I'm an entirely different person now. :D

:laughing::):D:o

(spelling?) sorry

---------------->codeman

I'm sorry. I swear I never did it again after that. :o

Really. I'm an entirely different person now. :)

I'll vouch for that. He went to Sliming School during the intervening years.