Premium Members

I recently have had a conversation with a fellow cacher, a non-premium member, and he/ or she had been talking to a premium member at a cache that they had found at the same time, and the story this " no name cacher" told me, made my blood boil. the non premium cacher was out for a second cache, he/she was new to the game/sport, and because of that he/she was taken advantage of. the story gos like this, he/she was out looking for a cache, and found it, right around the same time, another cacher, a premium member, found the exact same time. The non-premium (who was there first) was scanning through the cache ( a ammo box) when he/she saw there first travel bug, just then the premium member, snatched it out of the box, and to make a long story short, used the excuse of being a premium as being the one who was "supposed, and intitled to" take the bug.

To me that is not right at all, I would not have been happy if the cacher was me, not only did the non premium member not get the bug, he thought the premium member was telling him the truth!!!!

now, I know alot of cachers, premium, non-premium, and to me we/they are all the same in person, no one is better then everyone else, or has that changed?

this is a true story, and I did not use names, so it didn't accuse any one, or hurt anyone.

thank you

--------------------> codeman

That's not only rude, but ignorant. One of them could have written down the number and log the find, while the other writes down the number and logs a "grabbed it".

I became a premium member to use the pocket queries and go paperless, but it is only a convenience for me, not because I wanted/needed special privileges in the field.

If the premium member has been around a while, it is even more incentive to describe some of the nuances and to help encourage new cachers, not to take advantage of their naivete!

I'm disgusted by their behavior.

So two cachers found a cache almost simultaneously, (I assume the premium member walked up on the Non PM after the cache was opened) and the paying member snatched the bug out of the new cachers hands, then used the fact that they pay as a reason for their rude behavior.

I don't know about you, but in that scenario, I know who the better person was.

Edited by Trinity's Crew

So two cachers found a cache almost simultaneously,(I assume the premium member walked up on the Non PM after the cache was opened) and the paying member snatched the bug out of the newbies hands, then used the fact that they pay as a reason for their rude behavior.

actually it wasn't out of his/her hands, it was in the ammo box, which was in the non-preminm's hands

If I were to ever use my premium title for anything it would be to HELP a new (refuse to say noob) member figure out the GC system. I would explain TB's and geocoins, icons, the correct way to log them and move them. I would never play the holier than thou art bull, and I certainly wouldn't snatch swag from them. Grrrrr.

Being a premium member only means something in terms of features etc. that you enjoy using on the site. (okay, and a couple of extra caches to find) If someone thinks they have somehow bought themselves a better life or some sort of entitlement, they are sorely mistaken. I wouldn't ever even realize whether someone was a "premium member" or not because it is meaningless to anyone but them.

It is pretty funny though that there is someone out there that thinks they have bought themselves some sort of $30 country-clubesque membership though!!! Let them have their fun. I suspect they have little joy in life if they are throwing that "clout" around. :grin:

:grin: Excuse me police officer, what do you mean what am I doing?

Isn't it obvious?

I'm a premium geocaching member and I am looking for a cache hidden in this park.

What?

I don't care if it is 3 AM, I'm a premium member and I want to be FTF.

Um, what are those cuffs for?

Help... Mommy!

Just reading through the story again and adding one more thing for good measure...

Is it possible that the person took the bug because it was actually "meant for them" specifically. Perhaps it had nothing to do with being a premium member but was left there because it had a mission specific to that person. Perhaps they were going on a trip and someone left it there for them to grab. Perhaps it was their bug returned to them after completing a mission.

Is it possible that the "noob" misinterpreted the conversation?

If I ran into that guy, I'd pull my charter member rank on him and grab the bug :grin: .

Seriously, that's one of the sillier things I've heard. People with self-esteem issues will use anything to make them feel superior to another person. Even something as insignificant as being a member of some dumb website. I think the scientific name for these kinds of people is "jerkazoid".

Do you think that paying 30 bucks to Groundspeak automatically makes someone a better person?

No, it makes you a poorer person. $30 poorer, to be exact. :laughing:

But richer in so many ways! :D The advantage of getting to use those premium member features of the website and of course, the warm fuzzy feeling of knowing that you have helped in your own little way to make the site nicer for all of us... B)

If the scenario did indeed go down like the OP stated, then yes, that's a sorry thing that happened. Hopefully the nonpremium member realizes that this was a very isolated incident and doesn't think every premium member is like this! :mad:

You'll find jerks in every walk of life. Don't limit them to just premium members on some website.

Bret

This is the most accuarate statement I've ever read on here. :mad:

Thank you...that will be three dollars.

:laughing:

Or, for *five* dollars per month, you can be a Gold Member. Now, unlike mere premium members, a Gold Member *is* superior. It's by invitation only, for starters. And you get neat additional features, like a forum spellchecker so that you spell "accurate" accurately.

You'll find jerks in every walk of life. Don't limit them to just premium members on some website.

Bret

Or, for *five* dollars per month, you can be a Gold Member. Now, unlike mere premium members, a Gold Member *is* superior. It's by invitation only, for starters. And you get neat additional features, like a forum spellchecker so that you spell "accurate" accurately.

Great! More Spell Check angst!!! :D

Bret

That reminds me of the episode of Frasier where they kept purchasing upgrades to go into the next room of the exclusive spa - until they ended up basically naked in a trash filled alley behind the place. But it was the platinum door!!!!

So two cachers found a cache almost simultaneously, (I assume the premium member walked up on the Non PM after the cache was opened) and the paying member snatched the bug out of the newbies hands, then used the fact that they pay as a reason for their rude behavior.

Exactly.

All the cheap excuse did was help them sleep better by rationalizing their behavior. That they had to do that means they knew which side of the right/wrong debate they were on.

I am uneasy with this story, it doesn't sound right. This sounds like a "the reviewer wouldn't approve my cache" story. I am reserving judgement until the PM tells us his/her side...

Yup.

None of us participating in this discussion (so far) were actually present when the alleged social transgression took place. Who knows for sure what the actual circumstances were?

Besides, everyone knows that being a PM isn't what dictates your status around here. Rank is based on your forum post count.

Wait , what, you mean $30 doesn't make me better!?! OH, and I suppose my GC silver spoon is not in the mail, I don't get a turn in the GC helicopter or priveledged access to the 'Signal the Frog' suite in the GC mountian villa ..... Man, this PM thing was a total rip off. I could have used that money to get in on the ground floor of a 'not-at-all-a-pyramid' marketing opportunity.

I am uneasy with this story, it doesn't sound right. This sounds like a "the reviewer wouldn't approve my cache" story. I am reserving judgement until the PM tells us his/her side...

Yup.

None of us participating in this discussion (so far) were actually present when the alleged social transgression took place. Who knows for sure what the actual circumstances were?

Besides, everyone knows that being a PM isn't what dictates your status around here. Rank is based on your forum post count.

Thank you for agreeing with what I already said nine posts earlier. :mad:

Oh, and I have more post than you do. :D

Yup.

Thank you for agreeing with what I already said nine posts earlier. :mad:

Oh, and I have more post than you do. :D

Oh, um ... sorry ... didn't see that ...

[ctd sheepishly hands over the Travel Bug to wimseyguy, who holds the higher rank]

Thanks for the reminder. My premium membership dues are up this week. I'd hate to lose out on the first-dibs...

A real premium member would have let the noob have the bug, after he/she explained how the travel bug/geocoin logging process worked, and made the noob sign a release stating that on their honor, he/she would release the TB within two weeks... :laughing:

I agree with Tharagleb. It just doesn't jibe. Sounds a scene from a gradeschool playground.

I recently have had a conversation with a fellow cacher, a non-premium member, and he/ or she had been talking to a premium member at a cache that they had found at the same time, and the story this " no name cacher" told me, made my blood boil. the non premium cacher was out for a second cache, he/she was new to the game/sport, and because of that he/she was taken advantage of. the story gos like this, he/she was out looking for a cache, and found it, right around the same time, another cacher, a premium member, found the exact same time. The non-premium (who was there first) was scanning through the cache ( a ammo box) when he/she saw there first travel bug, just then the premium member, snatched it out of the box, and to make a long story short, used the excuse of being a premium as being the one who was "supposed, and intitled to" take the bug.

To me that is not right at all, I would not have been happy if the cacher was me, not only did the non premium member not get the bug, he thought the premium member was telling him the truth!!!!

now, I know alot of cachers, premium, non-premium, and to me we/they are all the same in person, no one is better then everyone else, or has that changed?

this is a true story, and I did not use names, so it didn't accuse any one, or hurt anyone.

thank you

--------------------> codeman

I kind of pity "Mr.Premium."

Last time I found a cache at the same time as someone else, I made a new friend.

I wonder how many Mr.Premium has?

Thanks for the reminder. My premium membership dues are up this week. I'd hate to lose out on the first-dibs...

A real premium member would have let the noob have the bug, after he/she explained how the travel bug/geocoin logging process worked, and made the noob sign a release stating that on their honor, he/she would release the TB within two weeks... :unsure:

This recently happened to me playing the role of the non-premium member. I have been caching for 3 weeks tops. This premium member not only explained the process but took a TB out of his backpack and gave it to me to move along. Glad I had a good experience with this. Premium member furthering the game.

But just in case I am wrong about all this, I need to get my check written and start posting like crazy to people's topics to cement my caching status. :D

But just in case I am wrong about all this, I need to get my check written and start posting like crazy to people's topics to cement my caching status.

That's what I did and look at me. I'm Popular, Respected, Adored, Rich, Wise, and Healthy. :unsure:

What's That you say? :D

I'm full of what! :D

B)B):D:)

That's what I did and look at me. I'm Popular, Respected, Adored, Rich, Wise, and Healthy

WTH does PRARWH mean?

Shouldn't you have said:

Popular

Respected

Endearing

Mature

Intellegent

Unique

Magnanimous

instead? :D

Oh and always be sure while you are inflating that posting number, to keep the find count higher. That is the true measure of a cacher's worth. :D:D