Mapsource City And Topo

ic3ss

Does anyone know if I can load city navigator v8 and us topo on my GPS Map60cx at the same time? If they can reside on the GPS at the same time, will I be able to see the city detail and the topo detail at the same time?

thanks

wayne

Airman is correct. You will only be able to see one at a time. Multiple map sets can be loaded but only 1 will be visable. If they are all (both) set to display the dominant will be shown. Order is: City Navigator (or City Select), MetroGuide, Topo.

O.K. I have City Nav v8.0 loaded on the Garmin map60cx and working fine. I just loaded TOPO v3.02 and it seemed to work also. I went to disable the topo so I could view the City Nav and the City Nav is now all srewed up. I move the cursor over a street and it just says "Road", with no name. Also, almost all of the streets and city features are gone. This is with TOPO disabled and after I reloded City Nav to the GPS. Any insight?

wayne

Edited by ic3ss

Airman is correct. You will only be able to see one at a time. Multiple map sets can be loaded but only 1 will be visable. If they are all (both) set to display the dominant will be shown. Order is: City Navigator (or City Select), MetroGuide, Topo.

O.K. I have City Nav v8.0 loaded on the Garmin map60cx and working fine. I just loaded TOPO v3.02 and it seemed to work also. I went to disable the topo so I could view the City Nav and the City Nav is now all srewed up. I move the cursor over a street and it just says "Road", with no name. Also, almost all of the streets and city features are gone. This is with TOPO disabled and after I reloded City Nav to the GPS. Any insight?

wayne

it sounds like you tried to send the TOPO maps by themselves. If you did that, it erased what was on there. Every time you load maps, it erases whatever maps are on the GPSr......so you have to select the maps you want off City Nav 8 and the TOPO CD and then send to GPS.......it will tell you which disc to put in and it builds a map set from what you selected and when finished it will tell you which CD to put in next..then after it builds the map set it will send all the info you selected.......

as far as viewing City Nav or TOPO...it will always show the one with the highest detail (city nav)......to get it to hide City Nav 8 so you can see the TOPO map , see number 9 http://home.houston.rr.com/gpsr/#Maps

Edited by birddog14

Wayne,

I believe I know what the problem is.

You MUST load both the USA Topo maps and the City Navigator 8 maps at the same time.

Everytime you load a new map set, the old map set is deleted.

The 60Cx is a sweet GPSR, but some of the Garmin software is non-intutitive and not user friendly.

Hope this helps.

Barrikady

wayne

It sounds like you still have the City Nav disabled, so it's using the base map (or still using the Topo map).

Different GPS work in different ways to swap between map sets.

On my eTrex Vista, while on the map page, I select "Setup Map" on the menu.

I then go to the info "i" icon and while it's selected I move the selction up again to the menu, where

setup icon, I can go to the menu and select "Show US Topo" or "Show MetroGuide". It then swaps out all of those maps at once.

On the GPSMap 60CSx, the procedure is similar (select menu while on the map page and go to Setup Map, go to "i" info icon and hit menu again) but you can "Show" or "Hide" each map set individually. It's confusing as you want to only have one set shown at a time. Otherwise it uses the priority mentioned above. Furthermore, if it says "Show Map", it means it's currently hidden. If it says "Hide Map", it means it's currently shown. Makes sense if you think about , but confusing.

So to make sure the map set you want is shown, it should be the only one showing "Hide Map".

EDIT: Yep, what the others said is true and could explain your issue, you need to load all maps at the same time. Each load erases the memory. But you can quickly tell because you won't see the other map set listed in the menu I mentioned for swapping maps.

Edited by BigLarry