Mapsource Unlock Code Question

Tymbee

I plan to call Garmin tomorrow when I'm back in the office to ask, but in the meantime perhaps someone might know how this works?

When I had a problem awhile ago w/ a CitySelect CD, I called Garmin support. Ended up they gave me a discount for the CS7 I had ordered by not yet installed. Installed that and got everything back working again and received unlock codes for both GPS devices I was using (iQue 3600 & aviation GPS unit).

I no longer have the aviation unit and now anticipate purchasing a handheld Garmin GPS. As I understand it, you can have/use up to 2 devices? Is there any way to "revoke" the one unlock code for the aviation unit (GPSMap 196) and apply that to the new handheld?

Simple Answer is no ... You have to buy a Suitable mapsource again

there has been reports of people getting Garmin to issue a third code for free in special circumstances ie where they have been able to prove a lost unit or Garmin replacing a unit for a repair etc .. However allways just rumours

This is the one area where Garmin customer service is lacking.

I had a unit stolen and they still refused me the third code. They said my only recourse would be to buy the third code and submit the receipt to my insurance company. I went several levels up the ladder with no success.

If you send in a unit fo repair and they send you a replacement they will issue a different unlock code so you don't have to use your second when you don't actually have a 2nd unit. I have experienced this personally.

As far as selling a unit, however, AFAIK they will not issue a new code. They have no way of knowing whether or not you sold the unlocked software with the unit. From what I have been told, you can buy a 3rd unlock code that will be less expensive than buying a whole new software package.

Garmin allows two units for mapping software. Twice they have removed (once for a stolen unit after I sent them a copy of the police report, then recently for a sold unit) units off my "list" and allowed me to add a new replacement unit. They last did this for me two weeks ago when I got my new 60CSX.

Edited by Jerry Bransford
Garmin allows two units for mapping software. Twice they have removed (once for a stolen unit after I sent them a copy of the police report, then recently for a sold unit) units off my "list" and allowed me to add a new replacement unit. They last did this for me two weeks ago when I got my new 60CSX.

They gave you a new code when you SOLD your unit? I'm totally boggled by that. I'm going to sell one of my units and just assumed that I would lose that unlock code. I had figured I would pre-load as much as the unit can hold for whatever area the buyer wanted and just end up losing the unlock when I sold the unit as it would be "connected" with that unit.

How did they verify that you didn't do something like that and then ask for a new unlock? I was resigned to simply losing the unlock code but, if I am allowed to remove CitySelect from the unit and get a replacement unlock code I'd MUCH rather do that.

They gave you a new code when you SOLD your unit? I'm totally boggled by that. I'm going to sell one of my units and just assumed that I would lose that unlock code. I had figured I would pre-load as much as the unit can hold for whatever area the buyer wanted and just end up losing the unlock when I sold the unit as it would be "connected" with that unit.

How did they verify that you didn't do something like that and then ask for a new unlock? I was resigned to simply losing the unlock code but, if I am allowed to remove CitySelect from the unit and get a replacement unlock code I'd MUCH rather do that.

I sold my 60CS and bought a new 60CSx. Both codes were previously used on my map set and if you don't have the old unit they will not let you buy a 3rd code. I had to buy a full new version. :unsure: