Fair Trading

UOTrackers

I've recently spent a lot of time on some trading sites and have noticed some things that I don't get. What makes a fair coin trade? (all number values have been made up)

For example coin A cost $5.00 to produce but coin B cost $7.00 both are personal coins and in the possesion of their maker, would this be a fair trade?

Coin C came out 3 months ago, sold for $10 at the time and is now on ebay for $40 is trading it for coin A a fair trade?

Coin D is older, say 1-2 years old, it still cost $5.00 to produce but you can't find them anymore, what sort of trade is fair for this one?

Coin E, while it costs the same $5, is very meaningful to the current holder so they mark it "Special Trades Only" What falls under "Special"

Lastly Coin F had only 100 minted, 5 of which were a special metal different from the others. They all cost the same to make, what is a fair trade for a limited edition of 5? 1 coin that cost the same? 1 coin in a limited edition? Several coins?

Forgot one more, is a micro equal to a regular coin in trade?

***This post is NOT about any specific coins, just some things I have noticed and was not sure about. (I'm learning, slowly but surely)***

I've recently spent a lot of time on some trading sites and have noticed some things that I don't get. What makes a fair coin trade? (all number values have been made up)

For example coin A cost $5.00 to produce but coin B cost $7.00 both are personal coins and in the possesion of their maker, would this be a fair trade?

Coin C came out 3 months ago, sold for $10 at the time and is now on ebay for $40 is trading it for coin A a fair trade?

Coin D is older, say 1-2 years old, it still cost $5.00 to produce but you can't find them anymore, what sort of trade is fair for this one?

Coin E, while it costs the same $5, is very meaningful to the current holder so they mark it "Special Trades Only" What falls under "Special"

Lastly Coin F had only 100 minted, 5 of which were a special metal different from the others. They all cost the same to make, what is a fair trade for a limited edition of 5? 1 coin that cost the same? 1 coin in a limited edition? Several coins?

***This post is NOT about any specific coins, just some things I have noticed and was not sure about. (I'm learning, slowly but surely)***

If you're OK with the trade, then it's fair.

A "fair trade" is anything that both parties agree to. If you don't think the trade offer is fair, then you shouldn't accept the trade.

I know that I have some of my trade coins listed as "special" in most of those cases I will accept anything is fairly equivalent or multiple trades. I think the only times I've not made a trade with someone that asked about one is when I already had everything they had to offer. I haven't made very many trades recently, and I also haven't kept up with the forums to even know whats come out recently.

I have used the monster list to see rough 'value' of other coins. I don't often use original selling price as the largest value, I use the quantity more than price. Though distribution method also is a factor... coins that were never sold hold a larger trade value for me.

For my collection, I don't really consider tracking a factor, I'm collecting it, not sending it to travel. Though I should also note, that I have really cut back on the coins I'm looking for, too many not so caching related coins out there still.

I second this. I never consider the secondary market because I only trade for coins I do not have and I only trade my personals one per person.

I do not care what my coins cost and I do not care what someone elses coin costs. If a trade can be made then great, if a trade cannot be made then great.

I have only been turned down once because my coin is not trackable and the coin i was trying to trade for was. No hard feelings, I just move on.

sometimes it takes more than one coin on each side for people to think it is a fair trade. If you dont like the 2:1 they are offering, try trading more coins each way.

I usually like to trade 1:1. I cant think of asking more than 1:1 and I have sent some people two coins when we did a trade because I thought their coin had more 'value'.

I agree with most of the posts here.

Generally speaking a 1:1 is fair for both parties. Occasionally there may be coins that are rare that "command" a better deal (such as a limited edition MidWestGeobash coin that was only done in bronze for the helpers*) - that is harder to find and generally takes more than 1 coin to trade for it unless you ahve something else hard to find.

*I think this was the coin made like this. In any case, it's an example.

If you watch what happens on ebay, you'll see people overpaying frequently. There are coins being auctioned there that are going for more than twice the price from the seller.

I agree with other posts here- if you're happy witht he trade, then that's all that matters. If you're looking to invest in some sort of collectible, then I 'd avoid geocoins.

Well, I guess that I should qualify that.

When I first started trading I REALLY wanted a GCC Benchmark coin, so much that I did a 3 for 1 trade. At that time I was OK with the trade.

Later, I realized that one of the coins I traded, a GW 3, was highly prized. I was so ticked I could have cried.

However, that's my problem, I was a noob and got gyped, live and learn.

I do not care what my coins cost and I do not care what someone elses coin costs. If a trade can be made then great, if a trade cannot be made then great.

I have only been turned down once because my coin is not trackable and the coin i was trying to trade for was. No hard feelings, I just move on.

Ditto!

I have been turned down several times with explaination of "We only trade trackables." or "We don't collect personal or event coins." But it has always been in a kind since till this response... :laughing:

"Doesn't sound like a very fair trade to me. Is your coin trackable?

(one of their trade listed coins) is available for reasonable trade.

I would consider Poker Run for a much lower value coin

So I am moving on.... :mad:

Happy trading!

For now 1:1 is the general rule. I'm unsure of LE coins in general since they are usually attached to a larger run that is easy to get.

Down the road, when we have better tools for coin values than we have, trades may be matched better than they are. Since we don't have those tools yet, you have to go wiht your Gut.

State coins are more common than personal, yet I value them higher. Unless I know the person, then it reverses. The sum total of odd views on coins like that drives the market.

Rare older personals that were only available in caches or in person are generally considered more valuable than any state coins. Total run is a deciding factor in determining value. Different metal types are only worth more in older HTF personals. I frequently trade 1 coin for 3 coins and purchase older personals from ebay. Almost any commercial coin produced since September '05 are only worth maybe around 2x their production cost. Event coins from pre 2006 generally run in the $50-$100 range. The first 6 GCC coins are valuable with the Benchmark coming in at $80-$100. Big name personals are in the $100-$1000 range. Lesser-known personals run in the $40-$100 range. State coins run anywhere from $10-$20. I am currently compiling data to publish the 1st free coin value guide. If anyone would like to contribute data, feel free to e-mail me.

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but I might add that when I trade it is always metal for metal. I will not trade a metal coin for an envelope of wooden nickles,poker chips or laminated cards.

I will however gladly trade my wooden nickels,poker chips, buttons and other signature items for like items :unsure: .

Edited by Damenace

For me, if I post that the coin is available and someone offers something I want, it is a fair trade.

For example, I post that I have a wooden nickel I wrote TH1981 on with a pen is available. Someone offers me a M10Bike Ver. 1. I take the trade, it is fair.

Oh, and BTW, I have a wooden nickel with TH1981 written on it in pen...any M10Bikes out there? :laughing:

I generally trade 1 for 1 as well, I have done a couple of traded where i traded more than 1 coin, like a Alaska Gold Relief, i think i traded 4, one being my personal. I also traded 3 (generic series) for a alaska silver. and i did a trade once where someone offered me 2 coins for my coin and i said ok.

as long as you both find the deal acceptable its fair.

What ticks me off is when you ask someone if they want to do a trade and they say no because my coins is not trackable on gc.com with its own icon. excuse me, but since its just going to sit in a collection and not move whats the big deal. move on..

Different coins will have different values to different cachers. Some of the trades that I've made might seem lopsided -- but if both parties agree, then it is all good.

This is all easier when both parties know exactly what the coin is that they are getting -- not that difficult with all the lists out there.