Caches

litngbug

Hiya PA cachers!

Looking for caches along a route from Pittsburgh to Deep Creek MD, (have a route with caches already, just need recomendations on good ones) Looking for cool caches not too far from the road, in other words, interesting fun caches. We are on a semi time deadline on Sat July 14, as long as we get to Deep Creek at a reasonable hour Sat evening.

any input appreciated

thanks

A Florida Flatlander

Chip ,AKA litngbug

It might help if you post the route you are going to take. Is your route from the Pittsburgh airport to Deep Creek or are you starting from some other location in Pittsburgh? If you asked 10 different people from here the best route from the Pgh airport to Deep Creek, you'd get 12 different answers.

You might also want to look at some of the more established cachers' bookmark lists as some of them have compiled their favorites. We're not far enough in our caching career to create such a list yet, but I know of three that are: The Leprechauns, Quest Master, and Kordite. I don't know if there are any more.

I suspect most if not all the QM favorites would be more than a short walk from the road.

Edited by Steel City Seekers

We are heading down from Coraopolis, 79 down to 68 I think it is, I have a few queries i'm looking

at but was looking for a few caches that are more than the garden variety P&G that people like

Thanks for the tip on the bookmarks, I forgot about them.

A Florida Flatlander

Chip AKA litngbug

It might help if you post the route you are going to take. Is your route from the Pittsburgh airport to Deep Creek or are you starting from some other location in Pittsburgh? If you asked 10 different people from here the best route from the Pgh airport to Deep Creek, you'd get 12 different answers.

You might also want to look at some of the more established cachers' bookmark lists as some of them have compiled their favorites. We're not far enough in our caching career to create such a list yet, but I know of three that are: The Leprechauns, Quest Master, and Kordite. I don't know if there are any more.

I suspect most if not all the QM favorites would be more than a short walk from the road.

I won't bother listing the rest stop caches, which are easy enough to spot.

A good "quick on and off the Interstate" cache is Hughes Bridge Cache in Greene County -- just about when you'll be ready to stop for a cache after getting outside the Pittsburgh metro area. Instead of a cache behind a McDonald's or magneted to the bottom of a payphone at the gas station, at this exit you visit a park with a nice covered bridge. And the cache is an easy find, one of those where there is "only one place it can be."

Bookmark lists are a good idea, but you'd need to find someone with a list of "traveler caches" that are easily accessed from the Interstate. I'm not aware of any for I-79 and I-68, but I haven't looked. My bookmark list of best caches doesn't include many quick and easy ones, and has nationwide coverage, so it won't be very helpful to you.

Thanks for the tip,

Thursday we will be doing some caching around McConnellls Mill area and around Coraopolis maybe

before heading downtown Friday night. So hope fully we get some good caching in.

A Florida Flatlander

Chip AKA litngbug

I won't bother listing the rest stop caches, which are easy enough to spot.

A good "quick on and off the Interstate" cache is Hughes Bridge Cache in Greene County -- just about when you'll be ready to stop for a cache after getting outside the Pittsburgh metro area. Instead of a cache behind a McDonald's or magneted to the bottom of a payphone at the gas station, at this exit you visit a park with a nice covered bridge. And the cache is an easy find, one of those where there is "only one place it can be."

Bookmark lists are a good idea, but you'd need to find someone with a list of "traveler caches" that are easily accessed from the Interstate. I'm not aware of any for I-79 and I-68, but I haven't looked. My bookmark list of best caches doesn't include many quick and easy ones, and has nationwide coverage, so it won't be very helpful to you.

In the Coraopolis area, you are smack dab in the middle of Leprechauns country. I live just across the river from there. The Elves Launch a Rocket to the Moon is a popular cache, and you can pick up one other nice one while visiting Moon Township Park. And when you visit downtown, you'll discover that I own the majority of the "tourist micros" there. You can do a nice walking tour of the Riverfront/Stadium area and pick up a webcam cache, a puzzle cache, a virtual cache and five microcaches -- all placed in nice spots.

If you would like other specific recommendations for the area please feel free to send me a PM or e-mail through my profile. Enjoy your trip.

Edited by The Leprechauns

Thanks for all the info folks, hope we can get to some of those on our trip, (we already have done several Leprechaun caches and hope to do a few more this time).

Chip (AKA litngbug)

While in the Morgantown area, check out the caches on the Caperton Trail and Decker's Creek Trail. Both are easily accessed from I-79 and I-68, respectively. Also, check out the caches in Coopers Rock State Forest just off I-68 east of Morgantown.

Edited by litngbug