A Couple ?'s From Newbee

Hello... this may have been discussed before, so forgive me. What do you do when a cache has been muggled and the owner does not fix it? There are "did not find" posted and several people have e-mailed the owner but get no response. He also has one I found yesterday that is in a light base, yellow jackets are building a huge nest next to it and the log is so wet that it is unsignable. The couple post before me also found the nest but did not mention the wet log... but between his and mine, no one mentioned it. ( I feel everyone should have said something). The next thing that bothers me, and I guess I should just not look for these cache's, is this kid who keeps putting out cache's for no rhyme or reason... putting out micro's at every pay phone, fast food resturant, and lamp post... I do like finding micros if they are taking me someplace interesting or an interesting hide. But this kid hides them where it can be considered disturbing private property, or in such a public place that there is no way you can use the best stealth! An example is one hide at a very busy resturant in front of the windows, under a lamp post between 2 handicap parking spots.... to get this one with out being seen, you would have to park in the handicap spot, which I refuse to do. My point being, I have placed a very few cache's and was questioned about everything I did by the reviewer, so I thought there would be high standards but this kid is putting out hundreds and new ones every day and gets away with it. I no longer down load his because I do not want to feel like a thief when I go looking. Can a reviewer be notified to stop this kid from putting out more senseless hides? There is no way he can keep an eye on all of them if he has that many. thanks for the rant! bone shaker

Ignore the kids caches if you don't like them.

Report the cache if it violates any guidelines.

Put in an SBA (Should be archived) log if it has many DNF's and/or is in very poor shape and the owner has not responded to emails or maintenance logs.

Have fun geocaching.

I no longer down load his because I do not want to feel like a thief when I go looking. Can a reviewer be notified to stop this kid from putting out more senseless hides? There is no way he can keep an eye on all of them if he has that many. thanks for the rant! bone shaker

There are other people who *enjoy* the thrill of finding a cache in a heavy traffic area. To each his own... that is why the site provides tools to filter caches and ignore caches.

Reviewers don't have much say over the quality of a cache placement. There is no rule against micros in the woods, no rule against gladware 30 feet from the parking lot, and no rule against hide-a-keys in guardrails. If the cache meets the listing guidelines, we are obligated to publish it. We do this knowing, in many cases, that the cache we are listing does not meet our own standards of what constitutes a good cache. This is a good thing, because each reviewer has different preferences. I don't like puzzle caches, but I happily publish any puzzle cache that meets the guidelines, because others enjoy them.

Now, if a cache in a parking lot violates a listing guideline, like because it is 400 feet away from the cache at the other side of the shopping center, then we certainly can take action. Can you point to any specific examples of listing guideline violations committed by this hider? (Just describe them... no need to link to the caches.)

As for the owner's ability to maintain the caches, a reviewer cannot judge this in advance. A retired couple, or someone whose job requires traveling around the county in a van with lots of waiting time in between service jobs, can devote lots of time to maintain caches. There are many examples of hiders who successfully maintain dozens or even hundreds of caches. Others have trouble maintaining even two or three caches.

If there is a maintenance problem, you are encouraged to report it through the escalation process:

1. Note the problem in your log, and/or e-mail the cache owner (always best).

2. Leave a "needs maintenance" log on the cache page.

3. If the problem remains unaddressed, leave a "needs archived" log on the cache page. A reviewer will then be alerted to check whether the owner is complying with the "Cache Maintenance" section of the geocache listing guidelines.

I couldn't find a place for this question, so I'll ask it here. Should hamsters be considered food and, therefore, excluded as trade items?

The more I think of it, Hamsters have a sharp end and, therefore, should be excluded just like knives and multi-tools.

These malicious personal attacks perfectly illustrate why you were on my ignore list prior to the recent forums upgrade. If you don't like my signature item, just open the container, move the hamster aside, sign the log, replace the log *gently* under the hamster, and move along to the next cache. (But I do recommend wearing gloves.) There is no need to snipe at me.

I couldn't find a place for this question, so I'll ask it here. Should hamsters be considered food and, therefore, excluded as trade items?

The more I think of it, Hamsters have a sharp end and, therefore, should be excluded just like knives and multi-tools.

These malicious personal attacks perfectly illustrate why you were on my ignore list prior to the recent forums upgrade. If you don't like my signature item, just open the container, move the hamster aside, sign the log, replace the log *gently* under the hamster, and move along to the next cache. (But I do recommend wearing gloves.) There is no need to snipe at me.

Oh. Gently. Heh. I guess now I know what I was doing wrong, then. :laughing:

The next thing that bothers me, and I guess I should just not look for these cache's, is this kid who keeps putting out cache's for no rhyme or reason... putting out micro's at every pay phone, fast food resturant, and lamp post... I do like finding micros if they are taking me someplace interesting or an interesting hide.

Don't take this the wrong way but here is one of your logs from one of those phone booth caches:

Hello....Hello.... nobody there....YES, first to find!!!

Great series!!!!!

tftc!!

bone shaker

If I hid that cache, I would think people liked it and would probably hide another, but that's just me. :laughing:

Okay, I'm a little dense, I don't frequent the forums a lot, and I don't think I cache in your area...do you really leave hamsters? I'm just curious. Is there a joke that I'm not getting? Feel free to e-mail me if I am asking you to let some cat out of the bag by replying in public. I love unique signature items.

Okay, I'm a little dense, I don't frequent the forums a lot, and I don't think I cache in your area...do you really leave hamsters? I'm just curious. Is there a joke that I'm not getting? Feel free to e-mail me if I am asking you to let some cat out of the bag by replying in public. I love unique signature items.

B)

....you never know..... :laughing:

"I'm just curious" has got me in loads of strife in my lifetime! :laughing:

Hamster, hamster by candle light.

Do it in a casserole is doing it right.

When they're in season, they're pretty pleasin'.

Hamster sandwich, hamster and cheese.

Hamster sandwiches with mayoneeze,

are delicious, and so nutritious.

You can dice, you can slice and filet them.

Cut off their heads and sauté them.

And into the oven you shove,

smells like hamster love.

Hamster curry, or pickled toes,

Australian hamster tails, any good chef knows

how to make them, or just shake and bake them.

For breakfast, for lunch or while dining,

as a snack munch their deep-fried fur lining.

Into your mouth with a shove,

tastes like hamster love.

(Copyright 2000 Big Daddy and Rhino Entertainment Company)

Edited to remove double spacing and redundant chorus

Edited by wheetree