Gis Eoo6 Files

AlSi

I need some help converting GIS e006 files that I have downloaded of the Lincoln National forest. I have gps trackmaker free. Some of the files are large and lock up trackmaker. I wonder if I am reaching the limits of the free version. The files that I have loaded into trackmaker and then coverted into gpx format appear in the ocean instead of New Mexico when loaded into Mapsource.

Are there any other shareware or freeware GIS e006 converters?

Why does my converted file not appear in the correct position?

This is above my head at the moment.

This is the link to the Lincoln National Forest GIS page. http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/lincoln/contact/gi...0on%20the%20web

Thanks

Alan

It looks like OziExplorer might be able to do what you want. There's a trial version that will run for an hour, then you have to restart it. The mapping interface in that program isn't that good. I brought in one of the e00 files from that Lincoln National Forest website but wasn't able to find the layer on the map. What exactly do you want to do with this data? e00 files are really for full-blown GIS software. On top of that, e00 is an old data format.

My father inlaw runs a ranch in the forest. I have been looking for maps and such to overlay Google Earth. There is a lot of interesting history that happened in that area. I am trying to map it so I can visist the places next time I go down to New Mexico.

If you hang tight for a few months, ArcGIS Explorer will be released. It is like Google Earth, but will read GIS files like shapefiles in addition to Google's KML. Not sure if it will read GPX yet. It is easy to convert e00 files to shapefiles, you'll just have to find someone to do the file conversion for you. I know how to go from GPX to SHP, but I don't know how to go the other way.

Is something else available ie. different file format, other source for the same data on the National Forest ?

There are a lot of different data sets on that page from bald eagle locations to the park perimeters. As to entering the wrong datum, if you look under "metadata" and scroll down you will find the datum that pertain to the files. Whether you can somehow make use of the data depends on just what exactly you want to do with it..eg. just show it on a map, transfer waypoints to GPS, make your own map..etc.

Thanks guys.

I went to the metafile section and was able to gather some of the data information. UTM zone 13, Horizontal_Datum_Name: North American Datum of 1927, Planar_Distance_Units: meters

Still not working right.

Evidently there are a number of versions of North American Datum of 1927

WGS1984 sems to be the standard for Google Earth and GPS Tracker. It will load using this datum only in the wrong place.

When I use UTM zone 13 nothing shows up.

Going to take some time.

Alan

I have been able to successfully convert all of the data into a single GPX file. It seems that everything on the site is in UTM Zone 13 projection and NAD 27 CONUS datum, while the bald eagle and noxious weed data is for some reason different and uses State Plane - New Mexico Central projection.

The problem with the GPX file is that it is 175 MB in size, which is far larger than I can store on my web site. It also makes both ExpertGPS and MapSource lock up when trying to open it due to its size. Do you only need some of the layers of data?

Hi AlSi. I work in the GIS field and looked at your website with the Lincoln National Forest GIS data. The E00 files are ArcInfo coverages, and are beyond anything you will likely find to work with, sorry to say. You need ArcView or ArcGIS to import one of these files. The free ESRI ArcExplorer 2 would allow you to view them but that's all. Even if you had the "real" ArcView program it would entail a lot of steps to convert the file(s) into a shapefile, reproject this data from UTM Zone 13, NAD83, meters (as you correctly identified) to WGS84 (to work with Google Earth for example), then to convert the shapefile to a .gpx file. This type of coverage data is not particularly suited for conversion to a .gpx file anyway. You might be better to look for some shared GPS data online. Good luck in your data search, and happy caching!

[ed] Ooops, looks like Moun10Bike found a way to work those files. Good job.

Edited by Timpat

There are two that I need. The land and the range allotments. These would allow me to plot the original ranches as well as plot the boundaries of my father inlaws ranch.

Okay, I put together a GPX file containing these as well as the outline of the management area. Everything was exported using geographic projection in the WGS84 datum. I confirmed that it displays properly in Google Earth, although you of course are missing details like the name of each allotment, etc. You can download the file here. Let me know if you need any changes, and also when it is safe for me to delete the file.

Moun10Bike

This is great you have know idea how much I appreciate this! The only change I would like is to have them as two seperate files. I have a book that shows the allotments so I can just match them up. they loaded in Google Earth great.

Are you using a high dollar program for this?

Alan

Edited by AlSi

If you hang tight for a few months, ArcGIS Explorer will be released. It is like Google Earth, but will read GIS files like shapefiles in addition to Google's KML. Not sure if it will read GPX yet. It is easy to convert e00 files to shapefiles, you'll just have to find someone to do the file conversion for you. I know how to go from GPX to SHP, but I don't know how to go the other way.

This was supposed to be out in January. Don't hold your breath for their most recent guess for a release date. :unsure: I also hear that the initial release won't do vector data at all.

How exactly is it easy to convert e00 to shapefiles anyway?

Edited by ejnewman