Your Setup

Well I use of course the GPS and I have a laptop with me to help in case I need clues. I download the coordinates and use the GPX watcher software which is great. I notice though however many people use PDAs. If you have a PDA, please let m eknow what setup you have and how helpful is a PDA, I have no idea how a PDA will work. Just curious to know how helpful a PDA is. I would rather carry something smaller like a PDA around. What is your equipment and what are your recommendations????

I use a Palm Zire 21, and two types of software -- GSAK, which is indispensible, on my PC, and cachemate on my Palm. I am a premium member and use pocket queries, which I manage with GSAK. I send the info from GSAK directly to my GPS (a Garmin Legend C) and also to cachemate on my Palm. When out in the field I can access the cache descriptions, logs, even hints on my Palm.

I used information from this article when I decided to go paperless:

http://65.34.18.106/content.php?article.15

Depending on what kind of PDA you have Palm or PPC, will determine which software options are available to you. If you don't already have a PDA, you'll probably get a lot of feedback here that will suggest a Palm (most cheap ones are fine).

Edited by Bear Paughs

I have both a laptop and a PDA. I use the laptop for in vehicle navigation as well as checking a cache page to see if it's something I was to look for when I'm out and about.

The PDA on the other hand, generally goes to the cache with me. I have GPXSonar on it and can pull up the full cache description, the past logs that were included in my PQ, the hint, etc. I can also make notes about the cache, and timestamp the note in case I want to remember what time I was at the cache. I also use Sonar to create the waypoint files that I use to load caches into my Meridian. I wouldn't want to have to go back to caching without the PDA.

If you do the PDA thing just make doubly sure you can see the screen outdoors. Mine you can't and I spent a lot of time downloading software and getting things working only to find it was useless even in the shade. Heck it is hard to see even in the car. If you are hunting dozens of caches a day like some numbers junkies do then I think the PDA is a way to go. I don't see much use for it if you are like me who only do two or three at the most in a day. My printer does both sides so I can print one cache per page.

We did use a laptop with GSAK but that was too much work lugging the laptop around. So we bought a Palm VII from eBay for $15. We got Cachemate and used GSAK to load onto the Palm.

Then we wanted to use maps so we upgraded our pda to a Dell Axim X5 (again from eBay for $40) and we got GPXView and Pocket MS Streets and Trips. We use GSAK to load to the pda and MS S&T.

We just recently got Cachemate for PPC, so now we are really happy.

Lately, I've just been using my GPSr and a Blackberry. I download the cache information from GSAK to my GPSr. That information includes the waypoint number and clue. If I need more information, I WAP into the geocaching website. Granted, I have not done many wilderness type of caches .. I know this combination will not work in the boondocks. However, it has worked for all of the caches I've searched for so far.

Edited by Trizumi

I have a pda and mine came with a man to run it. But seriously we have one, it works well, I miss paper and still like to print out the pages for some caches (like letterboxes that require adding on the go) we use GPXview I believe and it usually provides us with enough info to do what we need (which is find the cache.) Dave runs it and is continually talking about adding new and wonderful things to it. Dave has been talking blackberry to use the pda for everything including the GPS. The best feature is we can leave the house with hundreds of caches in the palm and the gps. Makes it great for when you get somewhere and its over run with people or some other condition prohibits searching. Its very easy to go onto the next one. We have a cord which magically makes the coordinates go from the pc at home to the GPS, I don't know if thats standard for everyone or not but its cool.

I have my PC set up with GSAK and palm (Clie) with cachemate, but the PDA is only really there for backup incase i need details of the cache in the field.

The real brain of my hunt is a street map of the area, and my trusted notebook. I have a A6? size notebook, and each cache gets a page each. I write down the name of cache, the coordinates, the hint, and any other info i may need. Also at the bottom of the page, i draw a table to write down what my partner and I took and left, as well as "Found on: / /06 at : Find No: " so i can fill it out quickly once i find it.

I also spend a little time prior to the hunt with my trusty map, and arrow shape post its, and go through each cache, and marking each of them on my map.

Once i'm out in the field, I usually only need the map to get me near the location (then my GPSr), and i'll jot down any notes on my notebook about the cache once i find it. I get my PDA only if i can't seem to find the cache and hope for a hint either in the description that i have missed, or in the logs.

I DO have all the gadgets, i'm even a computer scientist, but I still like to have SOME paper and pen tasks.

I carry my laptop when on business. I use GSAK to find caches I want to hunt. I then export this out to cachemate on my Treo.

However, since cachemate is getting so much better (on the ppc anyway), I find myself just opening the GPX's from the PQ via PIE directly in cachemate. I can do a lot of the same filtering directly in cachemate that I used to depend on GSAK for.

Oh, don't forget using Google Earth and the new cache routing feature. We are planning a trip down to Tampa in a couple of weeks and I will be using that handy tool to find some caches along the way.

My 60 CS, compass and Treo 650 w/ cachemate are my primary tools. I also use a laptop loaded with City Select 7, Mapsource Topo, NRoute, GSAK and GoogleEarth for when I am in the car or at a picnic table getting ready to work an area.

The nice thing about the Treo 650 is besides cachmate for the decriptions, I have the camera for quick pictures and the phone, however I often have a 2 mtr ht as well, if I need to "phone home".

The phone gets used more often than I like;

"Hi...yea...I know but I got just one more....the last one took longer than I though....no another hour tops.........I know it's almost dark......I know.... Your parents will understand, it's only 35 years."

Well I use of course the GPS and I have a laptop with me to help in case I need clues. I download the coordinates and use the GPX watcher software which is great. I notice though however many people use PDAs. If you have a PDA, please let m eknow what setup you have and how helpful is a PDA, I have no idea how a PDA will work. Just curious to know how helpful a PDA is. I would rather carry something smaller like a PDA around. What is your equipment and what are your recommendations????

I use GSAK on my PC, Cachemate on my Treo 600 and I always use an inexpensive compass (Silva from WM with a rotating bezel) to direct the last 10-15 meters to the cache location.

Load the coords in my eTrax.. maybe make some notes in a notepad .. grab my cache bag ... and get down on my knees and beg the wifey to let me go out.

I've taken to begging before getting everything in order. It saves me alot of time.

Anyway, I use GSAK, MapSource, S&T, and Sunrise on my laptop to plan my adventures and get the info into my Palm TE (using Plucker and Cache Log Book) and GPSrs (Quest and Geko 301). My PC setup is the same, except it has MapPoint instead of S&T.

Edited by sbell111

I guess I just better keep quiet in this thread. :laughing::)

Am I the first Mac user to respond? This might be overkill, but here's what I do:

All local caches (92 or thereabouts) are loaded into MacGPS Pro using maps from GeoComm.com.

I print out a 24K topo map to take with me.

I've also exported the local caches to a .KML file so I can get a look at the terrain via Google Earth. If it's helpful, I'll print out a screen capture of the area.

All the caches are loaded into my Rino 530, which is clipped to my Camelbak.

Am I the first Mac user to respond? This might be overkill, but here's what I do:

All local caches (92 or thereabouts) are loaded into MacGPS Pro using maps from GeoComm.com.

I print out a 24K topo map to take with me.

I've also exported the local caches to a .KML file so I can get a look at the terrain via Google Earth. If it's helpful, I'll print out a screen capture of the area.

All the caches are loaded into my Rino 530, which is clipped to my Camelbak.

I use a Mac. I print out a 1:50K USGS and a 1:10K aerial photo. I'm ready to roll.

Laptop with GSAK with 5000+ entries

Garmin 60cs

Palm Tungsten E - with Cachemate & database on 256k SD card

Use GSAK filters to refine my search area and what I'm looking for, upload to the 60cs, then export to Cachemate on the Palm. I also have all the entries in GSAK on the SD card however it is too much to scroll through and the search features in Cachemate are limited. So I will create a separate DB for the area I'll be in and that is where I'll import the file GSAK.

It works for me and once I get the Pocket Query it only takes a few minutes to be ready to go.

Edit to add: My caching buddy, She Who Must be Feared and Obeyed, still likes paper copies so I'll usually print off a dozen pages just to keep her happy, cuz when she is happy I don't have as many bruises at the end of the day.

Edited by Recdiver