The Funniest Cache Story Ever!

sir2u

we were out the other weekend with an itinerary of about 20 caches out of town. several hours into the journey my partner reported severe thumb pain. she actually had a blister on her thumb from working the gps!!! now that's funny!!! :unsure::blink:

Yeah, that IS pretty funny! :blink:

BadAndy,

Now that was the funniest cache story I think I have ever heard. I am in tears still laughing over it. It sounds like something that would happen to us as we are never on the right trail. Instead we blaze as the crow flies, through bush, forest, river and valleys...just to come to the trail that would have taken us to the cache to begin with.

Skunked wins hands-down in my book!

This one happened in Wisconsin and was posted there, so watch out for wild turkeys.

This was quite the adventure! Our day of caching started off great, finding each cache rather simply. However, on our way to Laughing Lion, our day took a strange turn. I was watching my GPS (to be honest, probably closer than I was watching the road) and suddenly I heard a loud thump. To my surprise, I looked up and realized a turkey had just flew into my front bumper, then proceeded up & over the roof of my truck. Unfortunately, there was a car behind me and the turkey landed squarely into his windshield. Because of the property damage, the gentleman in the other car called the police on his cell phone to get a report for his insurance. Knowing I had done nothing wrong, I waited patiently for the police to arrive. However, much to my dismay, the officer approached my vehicle, carrying an ominous piece of paper that clearly appeared to be a citation. As the officer handed me this ticket, I had to ask the officer what I did to deserve the ticket. The officer, looking down at me through his sunglasses, simply replied... "M'am, you're receiving the ticket for flipping the bird!"

Me and my fellow travellers did'nt think it was funny...but you might.

Skunked

I've run into skunks before. I was walking nearby my house, investigating a potential cache spot for the future. On my way back, I notice in a small irrigation ditch (I live in a fairly rural area with lots of fields) a white line... yeah. A family of skunks. I tried to run across the street, but they followed. I stopped for a few seconds and then slowly walked away. I don't know how I managed, but I didn't get skunked (but I'm sure they wanted to). Quite a time that was.

This wasn't all that funny at the time. A log from a cache called Christmas Lights.

Why I didn’t do this cache today.

I got to Boise in time to do some caching. There is a cluster of caches in Meridian that I haven’t done so I go there and stop at WareMart to buy some food. I have to live on my per-diem. Staying downtown the food costs more than what they give me. Anyway, I buy lunch. I’ve given up Mountain Dew. Giving up a vice just bites. Now I have a dilemma about what to drink for lunch. A drink sounds good, maybe a beer, but no, I’m in a state car and can’t have beer. It’s a rule. So it’s chocolate milk. The PDA says this cache is nearby and I put the GPS in autorouting mode. I drive by all the roads it tells me to turn on. That’s not a good sign. Eventually somehow it says I arrived, but I can’t stop and the GPS starts beeping and buzzing telling me to turn the hell around. Meanwhile I’ve been eating lunch and washing down the dry sandwich with the chocolate milk. Evidently tryin go to get the GPS to tell me where to go so that I actually get there is too distracting and I make a fatal mistake. I didn’t screw down the cap on the chocolate milk. The GPS is still beeping and buzzing, I’ve driven past the cache, someone is tailgating me and I whip into a parking lot. Finally able to work the GPS with two hands I tell the dang thing to just point at the cache. It stops beeping and chirping. Ok, now things are back in control. I grab the chocolate milk and give it a shake. Remember the lid? Yup, it just flips off and I spray the entire inside of the car. It looks like a paintball fight broke out. It’s that bad. I’m soaked. The steering wheel is wet. It’s also sticky. I pull over by the cache. The landscaping crew is out mowing. I can’t hunt for the cache. The car is driven by a woman normally, they always have napkins right? Nope. Not this car. Brown streaks are running down the seats and off the dash. Spots are all over my seat. I decide that it’s a sign and I’m not gong to do this cache. I go back to my hotel and get a towel and washrag and clean things up. It was raining so I don’t look out of place with all the spots. When I’m done I take the towel up to my room and toss it on the floor in the bathroom. About then I notice that well, It’s got brown spots and streaks. How do you explain that?The cleaning lady is going to freak. The realy funny thing is, they have probably seen it before.

I am curious to hear everyone's funniest cache story. I know we all have one.

I was doing some caching on my way to an event. I was with my dad and a friend (and my dog). We couldn't find the cache. We were going to soon give up and head to the event when two vehicles pull up: other geocachers. They could apparently see us from the event. Apparently, this cache had gone missing so my group helped hide it again, since the owner had forgotten where the original container had been. Then when we were all trying to leave, my dog jumped up into one of the other cars and wouldn't get out. I think my dad had to pick her (my dog) up to get her out.

A cacher (who was an off duty police officer) was trying to use stealth on one of my caches hidden in front of my workplace. While he was searching a fire engine parked right in front of the cache location to inspect a business next door and some firemen recognized him. He explained what he was doing and some joined in the hunt. Meanwhile the office girls saw the fire engine and came out to see what was happening. About this time I - the cache owner - drove up to see a firetruck in front of my workplace with a crowd including the office workers outside.

Stealth didn't work in this case. :o

While out on a maintence run of some of my caches in a local park, a woman and her young daughter were approaching me on a trail. The little girl started screaming and slapping her arm. Mommy! A Tick! Get it off!" I thought the little girl was gonna tear her shirt off! She's screaming. I keep walking, not sure what to think when I hear the mother say, "You silly, it's a freckle!" I just about busted out right there! :laughing:

Here's a cute one!

We're on stage two of a 3 stage multi. After searching for about an hour and getting frustrated, I spotted, four feet off the ground (as the clue indicated) a small black plastic bag hanging from a branch. Quickly I called the Geo Mrs. over thinking I found the 2nd stage micro. The Geo Mrs. quickly grabs and opens the bag to find Scooped Poop! After rolling on the path laughing it was time to get back to searching.

P.S. We did manage our first ever FTF on this three stage multi!

After attending an evening event in Manchester, NH, a fellow cacher decided to do a few caches on the way home to Massachusetts. Since we had driven up separately I followed him down the interstate. At one stop we pulled into a gas station to get munchies before continuing. Being past midnight there weren’t many places open. As I paid for my stuff my friend said I will see you over at the Park & Ride and walked out. As I walked out I passed a local police officer getting coffee.

At the Park & Ride we got our bearings, parked at the far end of the lot and headed into the woods to find the TB Hotel. As we came out we saw not one, not two, but three police cruisers. They wanted to know what two 40 year old men were doing in the woods at 12:30 in the morning. Need I say more? Fortunately my friend was able to educate them on the sport of Geocaching quickly and we were on our way. No more night caching in that town.

On an ironic note, two years earlier I had been pulled over for speeding in that town and spent a night in jail because of expired tags. I can't say for sure, but that officer did look familiar.

Loch Cache

This past Thursday, 10 August 2006, my wife & I left The Great Shenandoah Valley of Virginia to put her on an airplane to Mexico.

But, this is a Geocaching story.

Along the way to IAD, we took a side track to see one of our sons. We picked him up at his office, and then went out for lunch together at the "Lost Dog Deli & Restaurant" in Falls Church, VA; sorry, no coordinates but worth finding! His girlfriend met us there. Among the topics we discussed was Geocaching, of course. He asked about my new GPSr, and I told him everything about it except for the price. His mother, my wife, didn't need to know that nasty detail.

Then, he told us about one of his own geocaching experiences. It was several years ago, and I doubt that they logged it, so I won't mention any names.

It seems that he and three other grad students were looking for a geocache somewhere in SW Virginia, down near Blacksburg/Virginia Tech. They were in some woods, and having trouble finding the cache. They split into two groups, and each went their own way. My son and his buddy found the cache, and a snake right beside it. They opened the cache, signed the log, and started to close up the box when they heard the other two guys working their way towards the cache.

So ... They put the live snake in the cache, re-covered the cache with leaves and debris, and hid nearby.

He gave a fairly good description of just what you might think would happen when you hide a snake in a cache, and watched some friends find it. I'm sure he left out the most interesting quotations, because, after all, he was sitting directly across the table from his mother.

He did confirm that they returned the snake, alive and apparently unharmed, to the forest when closing the cache box for the second time.

Then, he made me tell his girlfriend the story of how I forgot that a dead copperhead was in my supposed-to-be-empty lunch box, and my mother discovered it. I was 10 years old, and, after my Dad got home, I nearly didn't make it to my 11th birthday a few weeks later. But, I did, standing up.

But, that's not a Geocaching story.

Just have to share a funny Geocache story!

I got a call from my son, Randell (Buttwieser), yesterday, saying that a friend of his was in possession of a cache logbook. His friend had gotten the logbook from his dad, who is a friend of ours through the kids. His dad had run over the cache with a LARGE bulldozer while clearing some land near ARMC. After he saw stuff coming from under the bulldozer, he stopped to see what it was. Well, needless to say, the ammo box had met its match. It was destroyed. But he found the logbook still sealed in its bag. Now it just happens that we have taken Randell's friend caching several times in the past, and he had told his dad about some of our adventures. So his dad had an idea of what he had hit, and that somebody might like to have the book back, and would want to know that their cache was now history.

Now this is where the story gets interesting! My son got the book from his friend, and called me to tell me he thought it was from a the3defaus cache. So I told him to bring it to me so I could call Steve and let him know about the destroyed cache. While waiting for my son to get to the house, I called Steve to tell him about the book. He was trying to figure out where the cache might have been, but couldn't think of any cache that he might have had in an area that would have been hit by a bulldozer.

In comes my son with the logbook. I'm still on the phone with Steve. My son hands me the bag with the book. I look at it and it has a sticker on the front that says "This cache has been VISITED by the3defaus". So I tell Steve that it

wasn't one of his caches after all, but one that he had visited. But something looks familiar about this whole thing. Anyway, Steve asked me to look at the date that he and Trish had visited this particular cache, so that he could look at his logs and tell me where the logbook had come from.

GUESS WHAT!? It was one of our OWN caches! Needless to say, "Dark Road to ???" no longer exists!! (And destroyed by a friend of ours, no less!!) LOL!

Steve really got a good laugh from this!

Anyways, sorry for the long story, but we thought it was funny and worth sharing!

(Note from the3defaus: Yes, I'm still chuckling! Peggy was so SURE it was one of our caches. PRICELESS!)

When I place a cache that requires a long hike, I like to load it with cheap hiking supplies: bandages, duct tape, hand warmers, and the like.

A friend of mine was hiking with a muggle from another state near one of my caches. The muggle ripped something and discovered that she hadn't brought any duct tape. No problem, says my friend, there's some nearby. She goes a few hundred yards further down the trail, pulls out my ammo can, extracts a roll of duct tape and re-hides the can.

The muggle is standing there with mouth wide open. What, asks my friends, don't folks stow emergency hiking supplies in the woods where you come from?

When I place a cache that requires a long hike, I like to load it with cheap hiking supplies: bandages, duct tape, hand warmers, and the like.

A friend of mine was hiking with a muggle from another state near one of my caches. The muggle ripped something and discovered that she hadn't brought any duct tape. No problem, says my friend, there's some nearby. She goes a few hundred yards further down the trail, pulls out my ammo can, extracts a roll of duct tape and re-hides the can.

The muggle is standing there with mouth wide open. What, asks my friends, don't folks stow emergency hiking supplies in the woods where you come from?

:ph34r: That was a good story. I got a laugh out of it. B)

That is funny!!!! :angry:

I was scouting around for a good location to hide a microcache, and found a nice spot in a small park. As a "test run," I put my (empty) container in the chosen spot, to see if it would remain hidden, stand up to the weather, etc.

A couple of weeks later, I came back to check on my empty container and found that somebody had added a logbook to it, which had been signed by about 10 cachers. :P Turns out that a few days after I stashed my container, somebody had hidden a "real" cache just a couple of feet away. Apparently, mine was easier to find than his. :P I contacted all the "finders" and told them to subtract 1 from their total and try again.