Replacing The Box

Seen a few logs for Charlie's SOTAcaches where both before (phew!) and after our visits people have noted that the boxes were either found lying on the hillside or put back in the wrong place. Is this because they are being shared with another community or is it a problem with all caches?

MBF

I just check on one of mine which had travelled. In this case, I reckon it was people forgetting exactly where they had got it from, as Alistair suggests (I know which cache he is referring to, and mine is similar!).

In another case, a log alerted me to the fact that my cache was in the open. I went and checked. I am not entirely sure how a white cache survived sitting on a neatly mowed grass verge, but luckily it did... the finders must of thought is was the WORST cache hide ever (but were too polite to mention it). On investigation, I discovered that a thick bramble shoot had grown up and right through the proper hidey hole, and had pushed the cache out and to the ground.

Conversely, a couple of times I have been guilty (if that's the word) of relocating a cache, but that was only when I discovered the original hide to be compromised, and I have always emailed the cache owner with description (and new co-ordinates if appropriate). I would never dream of moving a cache if it's original hide was perfectly okay, but just not to my taste. Myself and a caching companion got quite riled one time when we spent ages finding a cache, but eventually did and then re-hid it in the same sneaky manner, only to see the next log say something like "I think this was a bit hard to find, so I have moved it slightly to make it easier"

I have a cache that often travels...

On speaking to the ranger for the park it is located in, she tells me the area my cache is in is frequented by badgers and foxes, both of which could easily move a cache.

I'm with Skate and Jane on this one... but I guess it really depends on where the cache is hidden to start with!!

(i'm thinking here that an urban micro surely wouldn't move in the same circs!!!)

We have done 2 or 3 of the Charlie sota caches and they were very flimsy plastic boxes with barely more than a log book and pencil so they can easily get dislodged the ones we have found we made sure they were secured down but not moved and I have to say they have all been brill caches up hills or mountains. :laughing: As for our own caches we have had quite a few move slightly but vegetation does change over the months so I expect that cache's move slightly to blend in better.