A Few Basic Questions

arpegio

Here are some random questions that I haven't yet found answers to...

1. If you find a cache that is a multiple, and it says it counts as x finds, is there a way to have it count as x finds on geocaching.com?

2. I was thinking of doing a cache around a theme and would ask that items left in the cache revolve around a particular theme. How realistic is such a request?

3. Regarding cache placement restrictions, as I understand it, you can't place caches on national park land, but what about national forest?

4. How are caches reviewed? Do reviewers actually visit the cache? Are they supposed to be familiar with the area and know whether the location is appropriate? I see caches that say "permission is granted by owner" -- is this merely a word-of-mouth thing or do the reviewers require some specific details of such permissions?

5. Is there acknowledgement of any group of "bad cachers" in the community? I notice from looking at logs, it seems clear there are people who take things of good value from caches, and leave significantly less-useful items, and others who take things and leave nothing, and then there are situations where you visit a cache, expecting to see certain items that are indicated as being left in the log that are not there. Are there some in the community that expect, that if person X visits a cache, it will be unfairly raided?

6. Is there any way to "recharge" a cache that is an accepted standard practice? Obviously you can go back and refill a cache, but is there any standard approach to this that would call attention to its improved status? (beyond a log entry).

7. What is the standard FTF protocol? I've heard different things, and I know it can vary depending upon the nature of the cache and what the owner is asking, but what's the standard common arrangement? A special FTF prize, or does the FTF'er allowed to take a bunch of items?

8. Are there caches that are not listed on geocaching.com that are part of another network? Or perhaps a more elite array of caches that are only shared by permission?

Just some various questions I've had I thought I might lump into one post. Any comments anyone can offer would be most appreciated.

1. If you find a cache that is a multiple, and it says it counts as x finds, is there a way to have it count as x finds on geocaching.com?

Um, one cache, one find. A multicache simply means there are multiple waypoints (not caches) until you find teh final coordinates with teh cache. Not sure about any other convention.

2. I was thinking of doing a cache around a theme and would ask that items left in the cache revolve around a particular theme. How realistic is such a request?

It has been done, but as with all trade items, they usually downgrade over time. I would not make it a requirement to leave themed items to log the cache.

3. Regarding cache placement restrictions, as I understand it, you can't place caches on national park land, but what about national forest?

A reviewer will have to answer that one - which forest?

4. How are caches reviewed? Do reviewers actually visit the cache? Are they supposed to be familiar with the area and know whether the location is appropriate? I see caches that say "permission is granted by owner" -- is this merely a word-of-mouth thing or do the reviewers require some specific details of such permissions?

You compose the page and submit it for review. The reviewer check the waypoints against other nearby caches to make sure the are .1 miles apart. They check to make sure it is on 'legal' property (not in banned parks, or near school, airports, emergency services buildings, etc.). I always seek the landowner permission, but not everyone does. Unless there is a specific rule in a park or area against geocaching, the reviewer assumes you have done teh proper legwork in obtaining permission. Reviewers do not physically check the caches before being published.

5. Is there acknowledgement of any group of "bad cachers" in the community? I notice from looking at logs, it seems clear there are people who take things of good value from caches, and leave significantly less-useful items, and others who take things and leave nothing, and then there are situations where you visit a cache, expecting to see certain items that are indicated as being left in the log that are not there. Are there some in the community that expect, that if person X visits a cache, it will be unfairly raided?

I've never heard of such a thing. I try to leave something of equal or greater value, but I would find sucha witchhunt list to be highly innapropriate.

6. Is there any way to "recharge" a cache that is an accepted standard practice? Obviously you can go back and refill a cache, but is there any standard approach to this that would call attention to its improved status? (beyond a log entry).

You could always use a "Needs Maintenance" log type from teh pull down menu.

7. What is the standard FTF protocol? I've heard different things, and I know it can vary depending upon the nature of the cache and what the owner is asking, but what's the standard common arrangement? A special FTF prize, or does the FTF'er allowed to take a bunch of items?

For a cache hider, they usually put a FTF prize in teh cache. It is not required, but many do. Thats about it, I guess. I've used a local Trail Book as a prize...

8. Are there caches that are not listed on geocaching.com that are part of another network? Or perhaps a more elite array of caches that are only shared by permission?

There are other sites, of course. They vary in their usage and guidelines. Elitism is in the eye of teh beholder, though. This site works well for me. Other people may like those other sites. It's all caching.

Just some various questions I've had I thought I might lump into one post. Any comments anyone can offer would be most appreciated.

Any comment? Don't take food from the pig. Seriously.

Edited by New England n00b

Typically you sign one log book at the final stage so it counts as one find. Many legs, one cache listing, one find.

Very, just don't expect it to done by 100% of the finders.

5. Is there acknowledgement of any group of "bad cachers" in the community?

Nope, sometimes life isn't fair, we just deal with it.

Not that I'm aware.

Up to you. I really don't leave a FTF prize in mine.

Yes, but elite is subjective.

Any comment? Don't take food from the pig. Seriously.

Ditto

oh and waypoint your car before heading down the trail.

Edited by BlueDeuce

<snip>

Yesterday, a group of us covered almost seven miles and walked for more than six hours looking for dozens waypoints for only two Multi-caches. They are located on the UCSD (University of California at San Diego) campus.

We got two smileys for all that effort icon_smile_tongue.gif . . . by the time we were done, we were wishing there was college credit offered for all that work. :laughing:

It has been done, but as with all trade items, they usually downgrade over time. I would not make it a requirement to leave themed items to log the cache.

While this is true, and I'd never make trading (of any kind) a requirement on one of my caches, if I wanted to do a themed cache, I would ask cachers that if they can't keep with the theme, PLEASE DON'T TRADE, just sign the log and move on.

I ask about the multi-stage cache because we did one the other day where there were several micro caches that led to a traditional cache. Each micro had its own log, and the description said you can log this as X finds. But obviously online, there was only one entry.

I learned my lesson with the waypoint the vehicle thing, but luckly I had tracks enabled on the GPS ; )

I think the main important thing to remember is to go with the flow. some cachers are not going to follow geocaching rules, your rules nor any common sense and fairness, and you can either get wound up about it, or just forget about them. It won't make a darn slight difference to them whether you sit seething that they traded down or not left anything at all, or not!

some people are just born annoyingly selfish!

as for themed one, we did one today that was themed around my partner's favourite football team. we waited till we got the right trade items and had a lot of fun BECAUSE it was themed around something he liked :laughing: so i say go for it!