Got Jeep...but Not Activated Yet!?!

jelinidas

I tried to activate mine. It's in the system, but the activation code was shown as incorrect. One of the Groundspeak guys told me the activation code was the same as the tracking number, but when I tried that, the page told me that the activation code was incorrect.

This sounds like they are activated in the GC system, but we don't have the activation codes. Can someone from Groundspeak address this please? Thanks.

GeoJono

One of the Groundspeak guys told me the activation code was the same as the tracking number, but when I tried that, the page told me that the activation code was incorrect.

I was at the MW Geobash on Saturday and got a couple of these. I tried the very same thing to activate it with the tracking # -- no such luck. I emailed contact@geocaching.com to see how I can get mine activated. If I hear back then I will post the answer here.

They are really cool, my 2 y/o geokid would love it if we kept one as well. Can't wait for the contest to start in a couple weeks.

They are really cool, my 2 y/o geokid would love it if we kept one as well. Can't wait for the contest to start in a couple weeks.

This is a good time to start teaching kids how it feels to want isn't it? Sorry Junior, TB's are meant for travel!

I hope the child isn't traumatized when you release it. :unsure:

I got a reply back from contact at Groundspeak dot com. They simply asked for the tracking number. I replied with the info and hopefully they'll get me the activation code soon.

GeoJono

My bet is they will not give you an activation code. That would allow you to make the jeep yours and it's not, it belongs to jeep. They will own them all!

I got a reply back from contact at Groundspeak dot com. They simply asked for the tracking number. I replied with the info and hopefully they'll get me the activation code soon.

GeoJono

My bet is they will not give you an activation code. That would allow you to make the jeep yours and it's not, it belongs to jeep. They will own them all!

They gave out activation codes for the previous yellow and white jeeps....

I think ODragon may be correct. All of the previous Yellow and White Jeeps are owned by Jeep. See Jeep's GC profile and go to Trackables. All 10001 are owned by Jeep.

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/Default....1b-ba8cb05f4412

Heh. Lots of interesting reading there. I don't know whether to be more amazed by the staggering number of JTBs that disappeared with 0 miles on them, or by the fact that there are some still out there that still haven't been kidnapped, two years later.

dave

I was at the MW Geobash on Saturday and got a couple of these.

Um I thought it was one per house hold. How'd you get a 'couple'?!?

You are correct, it's one per household. My neo-cacher friend got one and then decided that I would make a better foster parent for hers. So, don't worry, both bugs will be traveling come August or whenever I hear these things are activated!

One of the Groundspeak guys told me the activation code was the same as the tracking number, but when I tried that, the page told me that the activation code was incorrect.

I emailed contact@geocaching.com to see how I can get mine activated. If I hear back then I will post the answer here.

I just heard back from Eric at Groundspeak! :-) Here is the response:

They will be automatically activated on August 1st.

13 more days!

Does anyone know if the Jeeps have been sent out? I sent a request out the day or day after they were avaliable and im in Utah but havnt seen one in the mail box yet......

I, and many others, got mine at the Midwest GeoBash a few weeks ago. As for Jeep or Groundspeak sending the rest out, I don't know what their criteria or schedule is.

I, and many others, got mine at the Midwest GeoBash a few weeks ago.

Just out of curiosity: how was the tag attached? We got a few of them from the Jeep website and turned one into a "Feep" for Lemon Fresh Dog's contest, and we realized that there was no good place to attach it. We ended up drilling holes in the driver's side window and in the opposite passenger window, and putting the chain through the holes. I can't imagine that they're doing that for the 5000 official ones, though.

As for Jeep or Groundspeak sending the rest out, I don't know what their criteria or schedule is.

In this post on July 17th, Rothstafari mentioned that Groundspeak would probably start shipping them at them end of this week.

picture608vk1.jpg

Not seeing a hitch point on the bottom of feep Madelaine, I wonder if the the tag chain is small enough to fit in the gap between the car body and base. The ones forward of the rear wheels look nice.

edit, fixed name

Edited by welch

Not seeing a hitch point on the bottom of feep Madelaine, I wonder if the the tag chain is small enough to fit in the gap between the car body and base. The ones forward of the rear wheels look nice.

Yep, that sounds like what Lemon Fresh Dog did with his. From the "Feep" thread:

If you carefully hold the "Feep" sideways, you can let the chain fall along the rear axle. It goes in the gap on each side of the back wheels.

Oh well, playing with the power tools was fun anyway :huh:

(edit: I wish I had taken a picture of it, but I was in such a hurry to send it off to Hawaii that I forgot to :huh: )

Edited by the hermit crabs

That's exactly how they are held on.

Here's my thousand words worth. :)

67c4db59-91a4-4f68-a233-e6520889fb06.jpg

This is a good time to start teaching kids how it feels to want isn't it? Sorry Junior, TB's are meant for travel!

I hope the child isn't traumatized when you release it. :)

You can always buy the Green Jeep for your 2 year old, although he or she might have to wait a year, since it's not recommended for 0-3 year olds:

ab3e4571-28c6-4230-a942-ec319cb3ced3.jpg

Official Jeep Gear Store

All Things Jeep

And I bet some Wal-Marts sell these, too.

I emailed contact@geocaching.com to see how I can get mine activated. If I hear back then I will post the answer here.

I just heard back from Eric at Groundspeak! :-) Here is the response:

They will be automatically activated on August 1st.

13 more days!

This one is already activated and has been dropped into an event.

They are all already activated. Just click on the owners name and you go to Jeep 4x4 2006's profile. There you can spend hours (as I did :( ) perusing all 6000 Jeeps; read their "Mountainous" names (all the Jeeps are named for mountains) and see who has grabbed theirs and where the few that have been grabbed currently are. I recieved one named for Mount McCormick in Wyoming which is really cool for me because my Mother's maiden name is McCormick - same spelling and everything. I would have loved to have recieved one of the ones named for a mountain in Hawaii tho... :D

CF30

With so many Jeep threads going, I didn't want to start another and I guess this is as good a place as any to ask: (sorry for steering a bit OT here ;) )

The cacher who received their GJTB in the mail and activated it, can they delete notes from that GJTB's page?

I wouldn't think that would be possible, but decided I'd ask because I am watching one GJTB page that I swear had several 'notes' posted on it (comments regarding mailing the Jeeps overseas) and when I looked again today, those notes were gone. It is of course possible that the 'note' posters changed their minds and deleted them (I don't think so but naturally I could be wrong). Guess the only way to tell about that would be to email the cachers who posted the notes and ask them about it, eh?

Just wondering if anybody knows..... can't wait to find one in a cache myself ;)