Epe Readings

I was just curious what others were getting for their EPE readings. I am using a Magellan Meridian Platinum. I've searched the topics and have found what the "bests" were, but what do you normally average? The best I've recieved has been 10'. Normally I range from 26'-53'. Usually in the car while driving I'll get between 30' and 46'. Under heavy tree cover I get between 42' -76'.

What do you get best case?

While driving?

Under heavy trees?

I just want to compare and see if I'm in the "acceptable" range of accuracy. Thanks.

I've got a 60CSx

My EPE gets

10-15' out in the open

15-20' on the open road

20-25' on local streets under heavy tree coverage

25-30' spikes in the deep woods but usually less.

I can hold a 25' lock in an interior 1st floor room (no external walls) closed door with double sheetrock on all sides, external double walls around that and a 2nd floor above.

I also get decent reception in the basement.

The recent firmware upgrade made WAAS more effective and overall reception improved even when WAAS was not being received.

Cheers!

I've got a 60CSx

My EPE gets

10-15' out in the open

15-20' on the open road

20-25' on local streets under heavy tree coverage

25-30' spikes in the deep woods but usually less.

I can hold a 25' lock in an interior 1st floor room (no external walls) closed door with double sheetrock on all sides, external double walls around that and a 2nd floor above.

I also get decent reception in the basement.

The recent firmware upgrade made WAAS more effective and overall reception improved even when WAAS was not being received.

Cheers!

That duplicates my experience exactly... :laughing: EDIT: I have a 60CSx too.

Edited by 8mmag

Magellan Meridian Gold (I have two, and this is my best behaved unit):

Best Case: 7ft. (sometimes even under tree cover)

Driving: 7ft to 13ft. (I guess because the roads are mostly open)

Heavy Tree Cover: 10ft to 30ft.

My average is probably 16ft to 30ft. I've found that tree cover is only half the problem: satellite positions play a major role. Also, it seems that about sunset things get worse. Perhaps it's the satellite constellation, sunflares, or some other atmospheric phenonemon. As far as obstacles go, being in hollows, canyons, up against a cliff or bluff is more troublesome than any tree cover.

I've hunted in conditions as bad as 184ft. Triangulation in such conditions has saved the day many a time and I highly recommend a good compass. Getting to a location with good EPE to shoot a bearing can really improve your chances. Also, having topo maps or a satellite image can help since it will show where the cache is in relation to streams, roads, etc. even when the GPS can't tell you exactly where YOU are on the topo.

The absolute worst scenario was 2010 MILES away! I made the find using "the force" and cache descriptions. Normally I go home or move on when EPE gets above 50 unless I've travelled a long distance, or it's worth a lot of points, or it has a good description/hint, etc. When the game stops being fun it's still hard to tell my OC side to "let it go." :laughing:

I have a Meridian Platinum. I brought the topic up because I changed the firmware to 5.40 and noticed far more fluctuation in the EPE readings. I re-installed and tried a controlled test using different situations such as standing still in the open, driving, walking near buildings and walking under tree cover. I then switched back to version 5.35 and tried the same thing. My EPE was more stable and lower with the older firmware version.

I was just looking to see if both my readings with the old and new firmware were "normal". THanks.