Returning To Previously Found Cache To Move Bugs

Sand-Man

Looking through the forums I see a lot of entries and folks bitching about other people going to the same cache twice.... Well. one of the things I and my family have taken on as kind of a quest is to move TB's through our area. As bug owners, do any of you have any objections to this? I could care less about logging high numbers of finds.... it would not hurt my feelings if this system didn't even keep up with that kind of data...

I personally have no issue with that -- but it's not like my word means anything! It's not a quest for me, but if I'm in the area of a cache that isn't mine and that I've already found, AND I happen to know there's a TB there that hasn't moved in a while, I might go to the cache and log it out so as to move it. I don't log the cache as a find, I just post a note. People have done that at my caches, too. I got no issues with that.

I've also dropped TB's in caches that I don't own and that I've found in the past; again I don't log a find but I post a note that I dropped the bug with the hopes that (a) the bug sees some action (B ) it might prompt someone to visit the cache.

For that matter sometimes I'll trade a new TB I found with one that's been stuck in a cache that I've already found.

Edited by CoyoteTrust

There's a cache that's not far from my house which also happens to be at a tourist attraction. Most caches around this area are small, but this one's large and therefore happens to get a lot of bugs deposited in it. The problem is that these bugs can sit for months before another cacher happens along again. I make it a point to keep an eye on this cache to make sure that bugs don't sit there for too long. Bugs are meant to travel, so I doubt any bug owner would squawk about you moving his/her bug along.

Looking through the forums I see a lot of entries and folks bitching about other people going to the same cache twice.... Well. one of the things I and my family have taken on as kind of a quest is to move TB's through our area. As bug owners, do any of you have any objections to this? I could care less about logging high numbers of finds.... it would not hurt my feelings if this system didn't even keep up with that kind of data...

The purpose of a Travel Bug is to Travel. It is perfectly acceptable to revisit a cache and help a TB towards it's goal. Just post a note not another Found it.

Some people say that you aren't being fair to other cachers, I say too bad. I want my TBs to move, not sit waiting for some cacher to finally get around to caching. My TB can go to whomever got off their duff and snagged it.

I'm new to geocaching (only a couple of months) but I've picked up quick. I've gotten to know a lot of the cachers in my area, some are charter members, and I've started to get a feel for everything. Next week I'm making my first big trip since becoming a geocacher. My plan, and I verified it with local cache owners, is on the day before my trip I'm gathering up all the TBs going in the direction I'm going. And I have my eye on several to bring back home with me. The plan is for me to take TBs that want to go North with me and bring back those who want to come south. I plan on returning these TBs to the caches I took a TB out of. All the cache owners I talked with thought that was a great idea. Like they said TBs are supposed to travel. But it doesn't hurt to drop the cache owner a line (especially if you are emptying out a Bug Motel) and let them know you plan on replenishing what you take.

Our opinion has always been that Travel Bug Hotels/Motels/Prisons were for the purpose of helping TBs and gecoins move around. Thus, visiting them more than once, for that purpose, is perfectly OK, as long as you only log one Find; all others should be Notes. There is one TBH a few miles from home that we've been to at least five times, usually just before a trip.

Also, if we are on a hike and pass a cache that we found on an earlier trek, we might stop by and check up on it. If there is a geocoin or TB in it, we might take it, or trade Bugs. We usually don't make a point to check for Bugs and coins in previously-found caches before going out, but if we happen to notice something while working on a possible trek, we'll make a note of it. We don't go out of our way, but will take advantage of an opportunity if it happens to work out that way.

Go for it!

Shoot with this new "discovered it" option I see alot of bugs just sit and stay. Yup, they are discovered just not moved! *sighs*

Just post a note on return visits as mentioned above.

Have fun and I am quite sure the bug OWNERS thank you. There are no rules for travel bugs unless the OWNER sets em!